Former Cov. Holy Cross student suing KHSAA

MidwestUnited

Transferring is one thing but there are rules associated with transferring and in many cases they aren't being followed. In this case with the Macke's the state go this one right and its about time because in many cases they haven't.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Transferring is one thing but there are rules associated with transferring and in many cases they aren't being followed. In this case with the Macke's the state go this one right and its about time because in many cases they haven't.

It is almost unbelievable that the rules for transferring would not be followed properly in this situation. If there is anyone in the Commonwealth of Kentucky who I would expect to know the transfer rules, it would be the Macke family.

It is almost unbelievable that the rules for transferring would not be followed properly in this situation. If there is anyone in the Commonwealth of Kentucky who I would expect to know the transfer rules, it would be the Macke family.

And lets add, that most of what we "know" about almost all transfer situations is hearsay, conjecture and just pure assumptions and opinion. Very few of us are anywhere close to a position where we would know for certain not only if the "rules" were followed or not, or but in many what the rules really even are. Unless you are on the transfer approval committee, you really don't know everything that's going on.

And lets add, that most of what we "know" about almost all transfer situations is hearsay, conjecture and just pure assumptions and opinion. Very few of us are anywhere close to a position where we would know for certain not only if the "rules" were followed or not, or but in many what the rules really even are. Unless you are on the transfer approval committee, you really don't know everything that's going on.

I agree. I consider that mystery and lack of transparency a complete miss by the KHSAA.

The rules are on the KHSAA website and most claim change of address because going from public to private or private to public doesn't work. In the Macke situation they did not move.

KHSAA Due Process Procedure... The Commissioner may restore eligibility if the strict application of the bylaws would be unfair because the circumstances creating the ineligibility were clearly beyond the control of the parties.

The Commissioner has used this provision many times to waive the application of the bylaws and allow transfers to be eligible without any change of address. And last year, in the case of the De'Von Cooper, the courts told the Commissioner that he wasn't applying it correctly when he denied Cooper the right to play.

The Commissioner has used his authority under the DUE PROCESS PROCEDURE to unilaterally allow/disallow transferring students to be eligible without a change of address. I believe he is obligated to uniformly apply that discretion, that he cannot grant a waiver today to a student and deny it tomorrow under the same circumstances.

We will probably see what the Court of Appeals and Supreme Court think on this issue.

The "change residences" thing never made sense to me in a case when going from public to private or going from private to public.

Why would someone who lives in a public school district and chooses to go to a private school instead.................then leaves that private school wishing to go to the public school where they have lived all their lives ..............have anything to do with residency not changing?

And likewise if a student at a public school wishes to go to a private school that they could have attended had they chosen to ..........why would residency have anything to do with it?

Think maybe a family that can no longer afford tuition for the private school in the first instance.............and in the second instance maybe they could not afford a private school a year ago but can now.

I am pretty sure there have been players that have gone from private to public and public to private who did not move and were allowed to play after transferring.

Bottom line, does anyone know what the transfer rules are anymore? No transparency on the KHSAA decisions means sometimes it looks like the written rules and exceptions do not apply.

• 2 weeks later...