NCAA to announce UNC findings (penalties) Friday

Jumper_Dad

Creating a false major specifically for athletes involves the athletic department.

Not having to go to class> strippers. Which gives a school a bigger advantage? Allowing players to essentially not go to class and thus allowing them to focus all of their time on basketball or having an assistant coach get you laid a couple of times. If UL's championship isn't valid neither should UNC's during the time frame discussed.

The classes weren't specifically for athletes. That is what their argument has been. That's also why some think it will be tough to punish the men's basketball team specifically, unless they have proof the coaches steered the players to those classes because they are were fake. I believe they have that proof against the women's team so they will get hammered. However the men's team I'm not sure about. Does the NCAA have any authority over what the University does as far as academics. Will be interesting to see what they rule.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The classes weren't specifically for athletes. That is what their argument has been. That's also why some think it will be tough to punish the men's basketball team specifically, unless they have proof the coaches steered the players to those classes because they are were fake. I believe they have that proof against the women's team so they will get hammered. However the men's team I'm not sure about. Does the NCAA have any authority over what the University does as far as academics. Will be interesting to see what they rule.

I agree. The NCAA has no control over classes any university determines to offer or list. it is all hogwash but I am not sure it will stad a court test.

If the NCAA can determine what is a class, can they determine a grading scale, attendance to class issues, etc.

I see this out of their pervue

Maybe I'm naive but I expect a 2 year postseason ban and the 2 titles being taken away.

Maybe I'm naïve but I don't believe the NCAA will throw nearly the same fit they have thrown over other schools' issues. I mean, really, how important is academic integrity, anyway, at a university?? :banghead:

(cue dripping sarcasm)

So if other students could take the bogus classes as well couldn't this cost UNC their accreditation? I mean I'm just spitballing here.

That’s exactly the only real possibility. Potentially lose accreditation but I don’t know how all that works. If the ncaa tries to punish, off to court this will go as it’s not specifically an athletic issue but moreso an academic issue.

So if other students could take the bogus classes as well couldn't this cost UNC their accreditation? I mean I'm just spitballing here.

Yes. That has been a major issue. I don't think they'll lose accreditation but there have been some discussions regarding that. The fake classes are a much bigger issue than the NCAA situation, although the NCAA situation is what garners the most attention.