Is it time for another American flag?

jericho

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So because they make a lot of money they aren’t allowed to have an opinion or exercise their freedoms the way they want? That’s lazy...

And just because they "play a game" for a living don't think that these guys don't work exceptionally hard, while subjecting their bodies to incredible amounts of punishment. Look at how many end up nearly crippled after their careers are over. They have a unique skill set, and do something 99.9% of the world cannot. If it were so easy to do, there'd be many more people doing it, and they wouldn't get paid nearly as much.

In addition, just because they are rich, and "play a game" for a living, that doesn't mean that should prevent them from having a voice, or being socially aware or not speaking about things they believe in. What profession or income level is required for someone to be able to speak out??

And just because they "play a game" for a living don't think that these guys don't work exceptionally hard, while subjecting their bodies to incredible amounts of punishment. Look at how many end up nearly crippled after their careers are over. They have a unique skill set, and do something 99.9% of the world cannot. If it were so easy to do, there'd be many more people doing it, and they wouldn't get paid nearly as much.

In addition, just because they are rich, and "play a game" for a living, that doesn't mean that should prevent them from having a voice, or being socially aware or not speaking about things they believe in. What profession or income level is required for someone to be able to speak out??

The price payed by those that give them the right to protest is much higher and 99.9% of the world and especially the NFL doesn't have the courage to do what they do and then they come home and get disrespected by those they protect. I find those that disrespect them as lazy and privileged.

It seems that the President is very wealthy but receives cheers when he questions the parenthood of the people he disagrees with.

So, if it is freedom of expression to kneel for the anthem, then its cool for me to wear my white hood and waive my confederate flag at the next Bengals game, right? After all, I have freedom of expression as well, and whether or not that is offensive to you is not my concern.

Yes. You absolutely have that right. While your example is extreme, open racism is not new in this country.

So, if it is freedom of expression to kneel for the anthem, then its cool for me to wear my white hood and waive my confederate flag at the next Bengals game, right? After all, I have freedom of expression as well, and whether or not that is offensive to you is not my concern.

Absolutely. Recognize, of course, that nobody kneeling for an anthem has engaged in wildly violent and despicable racist criminal acts while folks wearing the same "costume" as you at the Bengals game have. While it would be illegal for someone to attack you, that doesn't mean it won't happen.

As they used to say on Hill Street Blues, "Let's be careful out there."

I think its hypocritical of them.

I think that it's admiral of them when they could just easily ignore the plight of their fellow African Americans because they're well off, yet they haven't forgotten where they came from, and have remained passionate about pushing forward for the betterment and fairness of all while using their celebrity for a nobel cause.

I don't see anything about it as being hypocritical.

In your eagerness to discredit a protest you find uncomfortable, you equated a bunch of players kneeling on a football field with a terrorist organization and put yourself in Klan hood.

You do you, I guess.

I think the issue seems to be why is this the way they choose to protest? Let's get past whether they have a right to do it, because obviously they do assuming their team owner allows it (which all have). However, it is perceived by many to be a slap in the face to those who have fought and died for this country even though it is absolutely not intended to be that. That's very important because it's something that neither side of this issue seems to fully understand. One side is screaming it is completely disrespectful and the other side is screaming it's not disrespectful at all, and both sides are right because it all comes down to how you interpret it. So the question is wouldn't choosing another form of protest be more successful because it wouldn't be distracting from the point they're trying to make?

???

I've noticed some criticize the players wealth as disqualifying them from making these protests. (I.e. Pampered, rich, spoiled brats)

My point was that the President is wealthy yet spends his time protesting the protestors and even calling them SOB's.

I've noticed some criticize the players wealth as disqualifying them from making these protests. (I.e. Pampered, rich, spoiled brats)

My point was that the President is wealthy yet spends his time protesting the protestors and even calling them SOB's.

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

I think the president should worry about running the country and keep his comments to himself on issues like this. Once he said it though, I knew the protests would increase which in my eyes seems to make it look like it's more about Trump now with these players than it is the issue. To me, it weakens their message.