Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is it time for another American flag?

Featured Replies

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

 

I think the president should worry about running the country and keep his comments to himself on issues like this. Once he said it though, I knew the protests would increase which in my eyes seems to make it look like it's more about Trump now with these players than it is the issue. To me, it weakens their message.

 

You hit the nail on the head. The majority are protesting the President, not what they claim to be protesting.

  • Replies 135
  • Views 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cannot take credit for this one, but it is classic.

 

People who think that NFL players have been protesting the flag probably think Rosa Parks was protesting public transportation.

I hate that players are protesting. Not because of them kneeling, I don't care about that. Heck, the fact the anthem is even played before a sporting event is dumb IMO, but that's a topic for another day. Not because they're protesting what they see as racial injustices, because I support their right to do so, and can't begin to understand what they've witnessed, seen, or been through.

 

I hate that the players are protesting because I've always loved that sports was a pure form of entertainment where we could get away from all the political nonsense. Unfortunately, that no longer exists and I hate that.

I cannot take credit for this one, but it is classic.

 

People who think that NFL players have been protesting the flag probably think Rosa Parks was protesting public transportation.

 

Most of them are protesting Trump.

I am scared what the flag would look like if they designed a new one today.

 

Was my exact thought when I read the OP.

I hate that players are protesting. Not because of them kneeling, I don't care about that. Heck, the fact the anthem is even played before a sporting event is dumb IMO, but that's a topic for another day. Not because they're protesting what they see as racial injustices, because I support their right to do so, and can't begin to understand what they've witnessed, seen, or been through.

 

I hate that the players are protesting because I've always loved that sports was a pure form of entertainment where we could get away from all the political nonsense. Unfortunately, that no longer exists and I hate that.

 

Yep, everything is political now.

I cannot take credit for this one, but it is classic.

 

People who think that NFL players have been protesting the flag probably think Rosa Parks was protesting public transportation.

 

Why would you want to take credit for that? It's just a horribly lame analogy.

BTW. No one thinks the players are protesting the flag. They think they're disrespecting it, the country and those that have fought and died for it. That should clear up why that analogy was so ridiculous.

BTW. No one thinks the players are protesting the flag. They think they're disrespecting it, the country and those that have fought and died for it. That should clear up why that analogy was so ridiculous.

 

And you can thank the POTUS for that. This whole ordeal is on him. He brought this to fruition by opening his mouth and attacking an entire league for the actions of a select few.

And you can thank the POTUS for that. This whole ordeal is on him. He brought this to fruition by opening his mouth and attacking an entire league for the actions of a select few.

 

In an odd twist I think it’s actually brought together a big segment of the population. So his divisive actions and comments have kind of back fired.

And you can thank the POTUS for that. This whole ordeal is on him. He brought this to fruition by opening his mouth and attacking an entire league for the actions of a select few.

 

The president most definitely found a way to make this 1) about him and 2) far more widespread than it ever would have been otherwise.

In an odd twist I think it’s actually brought together a big segment of the population. So his divisive actions and comments and actions have kind of back fired.

 

Yep. It's like the siblings that are always fighting and never get along. Someone else comes after one of them, the other is right there and has their back.

 

The POTUS came after the league and they've made it clear, someone comes after them, they're standing together.

So it sounds like there were quite a few boos at the stadiums yesterday when players decided to kneel during the anthem....My question is, isn't booing during the anthem every bit as "disrespectful" as kneeling is?

So it sounds like there were quite a few boos at the stadiums yesterday when players decided to kneel during the anthem....My question is, isn't booing during the anthem every bit as "disrespectful" as kneeling is?

 

Yep, but look what they are doing! :lol2:

The players don't have a constitutional right to protest by kneeling during the national anthem at an NFL game. They have a right to free speech but not in their place of employment. Their employer has the right to tell them it is inappropriate to do so because many of their paying customers feel it is disrespectful to those Americans who fought and esp. those who died for the freedoms represented by that flag--men and women representing the full gamut of ethnic and religious backgrounds. Those are competing interests and the owners have the right to say they don't want their business embroiled in a politically divisive issue that may alienate customers and sponsors. They can also choose to continue to allow the protest.

 

In the same way, anyone who shows up in Paul Brown stadium wearing a white hood symbolizing the KKK has the right to free speech but not at the stadium. The owner of the business can tell that person to leave and not return under the threat of arrest for trespassing. Free speech is protected when on public property, or your own property and on your own time.

 

I am merely pointing out this is not a free speech issue. The 1st amendment is not affected by whether the players are allowed or not allowed to kneel during the National anthem. That is the choice of their employer/NFL.

 

Many people are offended by this protest because they see it as an affront to those who fought and died for our freedoms. The O-lineman from Pittsburgh understands that. He served 3 terms and he broke ranks from his teammates to show respect for the country by standing during the national anthem. Someone indicated that one of his teammates, Harrison, had an issue with that. Harrison needs to understand that the solidarity of a combat veteran with his unit is far greater than that of an athletic team. And for him, standing for the flag during the national anthem is a way to honor those he served with. It has that same meaning for millions of Americans. And to refuse to stand for your national anthem on foreign soil just elevated the degree of offense.

 

The reason I feel the need to state this is because it keeps being brought up as a free speech thing that the flag symbolizes, the freedom to protest, etc.

This is not about free speech. Its about competing interests.

 

This is why Jim Brown said he wouldn't protest in this way. He wouldn't disrespect the country or its colors. He would find a better way to protest, one that would actually unite people to the cause and address the issue rather than be just a symbolic gesture.

 

“I’m going to give you the real deal: I’m an American,” Brown, 81, said on The Post Game last week. “I don’t desecrate my flag and my national anthem. I’m not gonna do anything against the flag and national anthem. I’m going to work within those situations, but this is my country, and I’ll work out the problems, but I’ll do it in an intelligent manner.”

 

A secondary issue. I wish Trump would stay out of it. Now people are kneeling because they want to show Trump that he can't insult the players who kneel. It's not about Trump either. He has muddied the waters. And players who have responded because of Trump also muddy the waters.

 

If you take, what Jim Brown calls "an intelligent" approach, the message and the issue won't become diffused. Brown was part of a united movement among athletes in the 60's and has since tried to address some of the toughest issues in his community.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.