Aaron Hernandez commits suicide

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe he killed himself. In my limited training in understanding these things, there many times are no signs. I like others find it hard to believe if he didn't want t die he would have put a good battle. There would have been physical signs of struggle.

He was 6'1 250 pounds. He wasn't going down easy if he wanted to put up fight.

Aaron Hernandez’s suicide may screw over his victim’s family | New York Post

In short. Odin Lloyd's family will now probably have a hard time winning a civil suit. So whatever money is left -- including his mansion -- can now go to Hernandez's family

I wonder how much money is really left in his estate. He only played 3 years. The last being 2012 which was the year he signed his new deal. He did get a $12.5M singing bonus. I'm not sure if he got to keep all that or how that worked. My guess is it's much less than we all might be thinking.

Way late to this thread.

I don't buy the conspiracies.

Wouldn't the autopsy show that he was killed first before he was hanged?

That is what gives birth to conspiracy. Who is performing the autopsy? Who found Hernandez? When was he really found? Didn't other inmates hear anything? If so, why would they testify and face getting retribution? The jail controls so much information, as in its gathering, release...it is not hard to see the point of the conspiracy theorists.

Aaron Hernandez will die being an innocent man after his conviction will get tossed.

Aaron Hernandez murder conviction expected to be vacated by 'quirky' rule - CNN.com

Aaron Hernandez's murder conviction is expected to be dismissed posthumously because of a legal rule called "abatement."

That would mean, legally speaking, Aaron Hernandez died an innocent man.

Hernandez hanged himself in his prison cell and was found dead early Wednesday morning, the Massachusetts Department of Correction said. Hernandez had been serving a sentence of life in prison without parole after being convicted of the June 2013 murder of Odin Lloyd.

But a court will vacate that conviction because Hernandez's appeal was pending, said Rosanna Cavallaro, a law professor at Suffolk University who has written about abatement.

"The idea is that if an appeal hasn't happened, there's a chance that a conviction has an error in it," she told CNN. "Rather than have someone with that incomplete decision that they're guilty, the state chooses instead to say that conviction is abated -- as if it never had happened."

The conviction's dismissal is "pro forma," or automatic, she said.

Hernandez, who was acquitted last Friday in a separate murder trial, had appealed the Lloyd murder conviction. A date for a hearing had not been set. The abatement law is "quirky" and "esoteric," Cavallaro said, but not without significant consequences. Civil lawsuits, in which a harmed party sues for damages, often rely on a criminal conviction as its basis of facts.

"You could piggyback off that criminal conviction to get to the place where you're only litigating damages," Cavallaro said. "Now that's not available anymore."

Rule aims to serve justice

The issue of abatement has come up in other high-profile examples, such as after the death of convicted Enron executive Kenneth Lay.

In Massachusetts, John Salvi was convicted of murder in 1996 for opening fire at a Planned Parenthood in Brookline. He committed suicide in his prison cell before his appeal, officials said, and so his conviction was abated.

The death of John J. Geoghan, a priest at the center of the Catholic Church's sexual abuse scandal, also led to the abatement of his conviction.

Though often frustrating, the rule is still a solid one for ensuring a just system that includes appeals, Cavallaro said.

"If you die before that part of the process, it's as if we're saying you didn't get the full process," she said. "We'd rather err on the side of erasing convictions, than allow convictions to stand that have not been reviewed."

You would think the fact that he killed himself would be grounds to not vacate his conviction. It was his actions that cause the appeals process to not be completed.

Also, even if it is vacated, couldn't they sue in civil court for wrongful death? I mean OJ was acquitted but lost in civil court.

You would think the fact that he killed himself would be grounds to not vacate his conviction. It was his actions that cause the appeals process to not be completed.

Also, even if it is vacated, couldn't they sue in civil court for wrongful death? I mean OJ was acquitted but lost in civil court.

I believe the family of the Lloyd has already filed a civil suit. My question - if his conviction is abated, is any of that admissible in the civil court hearing?

I believe the family of the Lloyd has already filed a civil suit. My question - if his conviction is abated, is any of that admissible in the civil court hearing?

It's my understanding that they can still use all the same evidence, etc, they simply can't use or reference the actual trial and murder conviction.