Iowa teens blasted for patriotic attire at BB Game

jericho

Agreed. However according to most in this thread it is fine as long as the theme is USA.

That's not what I'm seeing. IMO nothing wrong with having a patriotic theme. But use it all game long and not just when a person who was not born in the USA is shooting. This article States that the other team had multiple players from refugee families. Did they single those kids out? How many other teams does this team play that have players from refugee families?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not what I'm seeing. IMO nothing wrong with having a patriotic theme. But use it all game long and not just when a person who was not born in the USA is shooting. This article States that the other team had multiple players from refugee families. Did they single those kids out? How many other teams does this team play that have players from refugee families?

Don't know. That's the million dollar question. The assumption is that kids wore their USA theme and said absolutely nothing during the game. I have a hard time believing people, multiple people, got mad at a theme unless things were said during he game. I could be wrong though. No one knows for sure though. All speculation.

No, it's not. The issue at hand is can hatred be veiled as patriotism. I believe that sometimes it is.

You said that you didn't think anyone would say anything about my Irish flag shirt. Do you feel the same way about my Cinco de Mayo shirt?

There are 10 Mexican restaurants for every BBQ place in the tristate area. I don't have a problem with a Cinco de Mayo shirt. Every ethnicity has bad apples, fundamentally though, immigration should be done properly.

Agreed. However according to most in this thread it is fine as long as the theme is USA.

I thought the issue brought up by the offended school was the theme in general and wearing the colors. From what I understand no one knows if anything inappropriate was or was not said/chanted/screamed, or did I just miss that somewhere? Was something other that just having the theme and wearing the colors done? I ask because I don't know.

In a thread a while back talking about student sections, I stated that I have seen stuff that crossed the line, just in general, for a long time now, and I'm not a fan of much of the chants/talk/actions many of the kids are doing today. More time is spent "degrading" the other team, no matter who it is, than cheering for your own team, and it's done wearing anything from beach wear, pajamas, flag tee shirts or cammo hunting gear. So the issue to me isn't wearing red white and blue nor should anyone apologize for having a "USA Day", the issue is any inappropriate actions taken by the students, regardless of what they are wearing.

I thought the issue brought up by the offended school was the theme in general and wearing the colors. From what I understand no one knows if anything inappropriate was or was not said/chanted/screamed, or did I just miss that somewhere? Was something other that just having the theme and wearing the colors done? I ask because I don't know.

In a thread a while back talking about student sections, I stated that I have seen stuff that crossed the line, just in general, for a long time now, and I'm not a fan of much of the chants/talk/actions many of the kids are doing today. More time is spent "degrading" the other team, no matter who it is, than cheering for your own team, and it's done wearing anything from beach wear, pajamas, flag tee shirts or cammo hunting gear. So the issue to me isn't wearing red white and blue nor should anyone apologize for having a "USA Day", the issue is any inappropriate actions taken by the students, regardless of what they are wearing.

I posed hypotheticals as to the reasoning why people got upset. The answer kept being that it was just patriotism. I feel like I tried to be clear in my posts in that thread. I stated no one knows what happened. None of us were there. We only know the headline and in this day we all know headlines aren't always correct let alone the story. The replies I got? Patriotism and people are too sensitive.

Scream, jump up and down, yell "MISS" to impact the game. That's not what was happening here. This was one school trying to make a statement about the other. Big difference IMO. It's like when CCH used to allow their student body to wear business suits when they played Holmes. Had nothing to do with the game itself. Neither did this.

I love the old Covington Latin cheer from back in the day, "You'll work for us one day" :clap:

For those that don't know, kids going to Cov Latin skip 7th & 8th grade......so they are pretty damn smart.

I love the old Covington Latin cheer from back in the day, "You'll work for us one day" :clap:

For those that don't know, kids going to Cov Latin skip 7th & 8th grade......so they are pretty damn smart.

Was at a game involving Latin several years ago. Needless to say, the score got out of hand. Sometime during the second half, the guy next to me said "We better call the dogs off. One of these days we're likely to end up on the operating table needing one of these guys' help." :lol2:

Was at a game involving Latin several years ago. Needless to say, the score got out of hand. Sometime during the second half, the guy next to me said "We better call the dogs off. One of these days we're likely to end up on the operating table needing one of these guys' help." :lol2:

:laugh: