Iowa teens blasted for patriotic attire at BB Game

jericho

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Count me as one who thinks a school should NEVER be apologetic about having a "patriotic" night and wearing the respective colors. Wow.

So, should we be upset when Team USA men's soccer goes to Mexico for a friendly against the Mexican national team and all the fans show up in Mexican colors? According to some on here, sounds like we should be.

If this country were going thru some sort of civil strife, enough so that I needed to flee the country, and some country...lets say France, offered me asylum and took me in, fed me, found me a place to live and work, I would DRAPE myself in the French colors and extol the virtues of that country. I guess some people just aren't that appreciative.

I wish I could be surprised at how so many of you miss the point but I'm not. Not surprised one bit.

Is it ever appropriate for a school to have Patriot Day as a theme for a game? If yes, when would it be appropriate and what should the school do before allowing it?

I think I get where you're coming from but I'm curious about your answers to the above. I am looking at the individual facts presented in this situation when I say I think it was okay for the school to do it.

BTW this just adds more fuel to my point that this country is already fighting in a civil war with itself.

I think its more of a cultural war or political correctness war. Either way its never going to be won or over.

Yep. It is in shambles. Jesse was right again.

I know you are kidding my friend, but we as a nation are screwed up in many different ways. Of which alot I agree with you on, and some I dont. But you are a good man and I am proud to call you my friend.

But its really messed up. :laugh:

Is it ever appropriate for a school to have Patriot Day as a theme for a game? If yes, when would it be appropriate and what should the school do before allowing it?

I think I get where you're coming from but I'm curious about your answers to the above. I am looking at the individual facts presented in this situation when I say I think it was okay for the school to do it.

Of course it is appropriate to have a Patriot Day as a theme for a game. I do think all themes are stupid(Disney, pajamas, camo, etc.) because 9 times out of 10 they have zero to do with the game or school spirit. That has zero to do with my point. Not a single one of us was at that game. No one here knows the context of the U-S-A chant. We only know the headlines which makes the claim that people from the opposing team were upset with the theme. We don't know how true that claim is or if anything was said. I've outlined possible scenarios that could have taken place. I've described scenarios that have taken place in which student sections chanted U-S-A at Latino kids and refugees every time they touched the ball or when they shot free throws and the majority in this thread call it patriotism when that takes place.

Lesson learned.

Peace.

I know you are kidding my friend, but we as a nation are screwed up in many different ways. Of which alot I agree with you on, and some I dont. But you are a good man and I am proud to call you my friend.

But its really messed up. :laugh:

The feeling is mutual, Jesse! :thumb: