Iowa teens blasted for patriotic attire at BB Game

jericho

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this was pretty clearly targeted at particular school for a particular reason. As a former member of one of the more enthusiastic (perhaps obnoxious depending on your perspective) student sections I can tell you that a good number of our themes were specific for the school we were playing. And we could always count on the handful of people that showed up on the other side line to be swinging their soap on a rope right back at us (that one never got old). That's what student sections do and that's okay.

Maybe it was directed at them maybe it wasn't, we neither one know. But my point is that this same school had a USA night of their own. If I'm an opponent school, I wouldn't think they would be offended if we did the same thing.

See post#25, do you think each of those were planned to offend the opponent? Those again, are the night's held by the school that is now all upset.

Maybe it was directed at them maybe it wasn't, we neither one know. But my point is that this same school had a USA night of their own. If I'm an opponent school, I wouldn't think they would be offended if we did the same thing.

See post#25, do you think each of those were planned to offend the opponent? Those again, are the night's held by the school that is now all upset.

I couldn't possibly begin to speculate on the subtleties and inside jokes of Des Moines high school athletics. I don't know the history between these two schools, and I don't know the history of the "offending" school's past student section antics. My guess is there has to be something there for this to be an issue. I do know that high schoolers often do things on their own that aren't necessarily what the administration thinks they are. I suppose you're right in a legal sense. There is no way to prove this isn't a giant coincidence, but using common sense and the not so distant memory of how we were in high school it's much more likely that this was intended to mock their opponent. I must reiterate my initial point, which is that that is okay. You're supposed to mock the opponent.

Let me take one guess who won the game.

The offensive school was 25% 'diverse' The offended school was 66% 'diverse'

Did those 25% at the offensive school participate as well in the USA theme?

I don't get to say it often so let me seize the opportunity ... I am with mtref on this one. I think this is someone looking to be offended. Probably upset their team lost the game. Looking at the demographics mentioned at both schools and that the offended school had their own USA day, this looks like fake outrage.

I don't get to say it often so let me seize the opportunity ... I am with mtref on this one. I think this is someone looking to be offended. Probably upset their team lost the game. Looking at the demographics mentioned at both schools and that the offended school had their own USA day, this looks like fake outrage.

Couldn't disagree more but at the end of the day it doesn't matter if people use the guise of patriotism to mask racism. That may not be what happened in this particular scenario but it has happened in scenarios just like this multiple times. It's cute to have the USA theme and then the whole student section chants U-S-A when the refugee or the Latino kid is shooting free throws. It's just patriotism.

Couldn't disagree more but at the end of the day it doesn't matter if people use the guise of patriotism to mask racism. That may not be what happened in this particular scenario but it has happened in scenarios just like this multiple times. It's cute to have the USA theme and then the whole student section chants U-S-A when the refugee or the Latino kid is shooting free throws. It's just patriotism.

And we have the racism card.....................

So it isn't racist to chant U-S-A at student athletes that don't look American and it is only chanted when they have the ball or are shooting free throws? Just coincidental patriotism?

No. It's kids doing their student section thing. Was it racist when the offended school had their own USA Patriotic night?

It's just easier to throw the racism card around though.