Iowa teens blasted for patriotic attire at BB Game

jericho

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to understand here...How is it okay for this team to do a USA themed game, but when a team does it for a game against them, it's offensive?

@Science Friction, @PurplePride92, anyone?

I'm personally not big on the silly patriotic -themed events but if schools want to do them that's fine. However, if they are used by anyone to demean or belittle those of another race, religion, or socioeconomic class then I think that's wrong. I don't know if that was the case here but I'm sure that has been done many times across our great land. I am going to defer to PP92 on this one. He was the one making the point(a very salient point, I believe) and is much more qualified to pontificate on the subject than I am. Thanks for asking the question.

I'm personally not big on the silly patriotic -themed events but if schools want to do them that's fine. However, if they are used by anyone to demean or belittle those of another race, religion, or socioeconomic class then I think that's wrong. I don't know if that was the case here but I'm sure that has been done many times across our great land. I am going to defer to PP92 on this one. he was the one making the point and is much more qualified to pontificate on the subject than I am. Thanks for asking the question.

I agree with the bolded. However, as you said, we don't know that they did that here. For all we know they very well could've simply worn USA clothes and chanted USA throughout the game.

Dead end conversation. Don't mention me anymore.

Alright then. So much for having a discussion. I'm willing to listen and understand all sides of it, and I'd think you'd know that by now, but not sure how I'm supposed to do that if you aren't willing to have the discussion.

Alright then. So much for having a discussion. I'm willing to listen and understand all sides of it, and I'd think you'd know that by now, but not sure how I'm supposed to do that if you aren't willing to have the discussion.

Go back and read all of my posts. I've explained the point I was trying to make twice. Or don't. No one cares about a true discussion anyways. I knew I never should have responded but like a dummy I did. Forget I said anything. Forget the discussion. There isn't a discussion. God Bless the USA.

Go back and read all of my posts. I've explained the point I was trying to make twice. Or don't. No one cares about a true discussion anyways. I knew I never should have responded but like a dummy I did. Forget I said anything. Forget the discussion. There isn't a discussion. God Bless the USA.

I'll absolutely go back and read what you've posted. I actually do want a real discussion.

If you don't that's cool.

I apologize for asking a question. I won't make that mistake again with you.

Hard for me to take the offended school seriously when they themselves have their own USA/Patriotic theme for a game. Why are they allowed to do it to other teams, but when it's done against them, it's offensive?

This...hate to see how the "offended" handle white out, black out themes!

People who look to be offended, get offended! I am amazed by the levels of sensitivity we've reached. Not sure many would be able to survive the brutality of the 70s-80s...!

Cool. Holmes is about 40% black. About 60% qualify for reduced lunch.

So the business suits had a message behind them.

Certain Boone county schools are doing free lunches for everyone now aren't they? I've heard Florence elementary is, so we shouldn't just single Holmes out.