Open Job: McCracken County

Toothpick

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So much talk about all that money and those facilities, but such things can lead to their own problems. Booster money is great, but it can be detrimental if it ends up ‘buying’ playing time or creates unwarranted favoritism. You compete against a program from elementary through middle into JV and varsity and you know their team and roster about as well as your own. You see key positions where the best players are standing on the sidelines as reserves to inferior players and you shack your head. I know, I’ve never been to a MC practice, but it was blatantly obvious that this was happening. I root for MC any week they aren’t playing Mayfield and I would love to see them compete with the big boys. Step one towards that goal, hire a coach with enough clout to be above influence and politics. Hopefully, MC finds a coach that puts the best 11 on the field regardless of how much their daddy donated or what their last name might be.

So who is the favorite at the moment?

The Hoptown coach or the Covington, TN coach? Would either actually be interested? Are there any new names besides these guys?

After getting all excited thinking that Morris was going to bolt, which was never realistic, the Stangs faithful on here have pushed the mute button.

Why does everyone believe this is such a great job? Somebody help me understand.

Why wouldn't it be? Great facilities, administrative and community support. A decent number of potential players to pick from. A place where you can schedule 8-10 wins every year (at least as long as the district stays down), but no expectations to win state. Great if you want to stay, great if you want to move up. Pretty simple really.

If you look at it like then you won't ever have stability in your program. These programs hire you but if you always have feelers out then I classify you as a professional job seeker not a coach trying to build a program. I don't see Jackson by what I've seen on paper as someone who is that loyal. You can sit here and try to justify it as helping his family and maybe he is but it doesn't change the reality that he moves around way more than most. Jackson had a job offer last season and now this, you can't tell me he wasn't looking constantly . Maybe he saw that MC wasn't going to the power house program he thought and couldn't build his resume up to the stature he wanted.

If I was MC I would want to know that my coach would more than likely be around for awhile unless something very unusual happened.

There are two types of coaches, those who've been fired and those who will be. Can't blame any coach for trying to have "feelers" out there at all times.

So much talk about all that money and those facilities, but such things can lead to their own problems. Booster money is great, but it can be detrimental if it ends up ‘buying’ playing time or creates unwarranted favoritism. You compete against a program from elementary through middle into JV and varsity and you know their team and roster about as well as your own. You see key positions where the best players are standing on the sidelines as reserves to inferior players and you shack your head. I know, I’ve never been to a MC practice, but it was blatantly obvious that this was happening. I root for MC any week they aren’t playing Mayfield and I would love to see them compete with the big boys. Step one towards that goal, hire a coach with enough clout to be above influence and politics. Hopefully, MC finds a coach that puts the best 11 on the field regardless of how much their daddy donated or what their last name might be.

Why wouldn't it be? Great facilities, administrative and community support. A decent number of potential players to pick from. A place where you can schedule 8-10 wins every year (at least as long as the district stays down), but no expectations to win state. Great if you want to stay, great if you want to move up. Pretty simple really.

Diesel hit on some problems that are present. Despite doing a incredible job, McCracken could not get Haskins out of there fast enough. There was a bickering was so loud you could hear it all the way over in Mayfield. he didn't win enough and there was a divide over who was starting. I still just cant imagine why he started so many Lone Oak kids over the Heath and Reidland kids.

I think it can be a good job but it has a strong chance of being a school much like Christian or Henderson County in terms of success and I have not seen any indication that will be good enough for the fans. You loose a Illinois stud or 2 or PT gets things turned around and talent will get harder to come by.

Diesel hit on some problems that are present. Despite doing a incredible job, McCracken could not get Haskins out of there fast enough. There was a bickering was so loud you could hear it all the way over in Mayfield. he didn't win enough and there was a divide over who was starting. I still just cant imagine why he started so many Lone Oak kids over the Heath and Reidland kids.

I think it can be a good job but it has a strong chance of being a school much like Christian or Henderson County in terms of success and I have not seen any indication that will be good enough for the fans. You loose a Illinois stud or 2 or PT gets things turned around and talent will get harder to come by.

THIS.

This is a Critical Hire for MC.

Good grief, Haskins was pushing 70 and passed out on the sidelines during a game in his last season. He knew it was time to step aside. He played the Lone Oak kids because there were more of them and they were better. Lone Oak went to the state finals twice in the previous 8-9 years and had an established program. Not so much at Heath and Reidland. Don't you think talent at the respective schools may have had something to do with that?

While I'm sure there is no bickering at all at Mayfield, what you described goes on at virtually every school where there are boosters/parents. And I'm pretty sure you know that.

And please spare me the veiled "recruiting" accusations. I've heard the same kind of things about Mayfield for 50 years. I'm sure you have to. Pot meet kettle.

Nobody is saying they expect McCracken to compete for the 6A title year in and year out. it's different in 6A that in 2A. Winning state should be and is a GOAL for any school. The fans, boosters, students, et al, understand that. And I think you do too.

Good facility's and boosters and the other things don't mean its going great, but MC should be good by all means. So far, MC has done nothing but win the games it's supposed to do. Not one meaningful playoff game and I know they have a short history but "you people" say things like MC has the potential to be a power house...I don't see it at this point.

Good facility's and boosters and the other things don't mean its going great, but MC should be good by all means. So far, MC has done nothing but win the games it's supposed to do. Not one meaningful playoff game and I know they have a short history but "you people" say things like MC has the potential to be a power house...I don't see it at this point.

Ha ha, isn't it better to win the games you're supposed to than not? Actually, they won a couple they weren't expected to. Southaven, Miss., comes to mind, but yeah, they expected to do better in the playoffs. But beating even the 4th place team in a Louisville district is a steep hill to climb. I think the goal is to get competitive with that level first. Still not there obviously.

The "power house" folks you refer to are few. I think that's something inferred by other schools' fans than anything. I don't hear reasonable MCHS fans say that. No, most McCracken fans I know understand the reality. Try to beat Mayfield and Tilghman (that's been a 50-50 proposition) every year and maybe win a game or two in the playoffs. That's where the new coach will start from. Not a bad place to start, I'd say.