What do you tip???

plantmanky

Dewey's is a place that does this. You have your main server, but pretty much any and all wait staff wait on every table. If they see a table getting low on drinks, they get them refills. They check on food for tables other than their own. It makes the experience much more efficient and better IMO.

....especially if it was time for their break and they are out back....sometimes we forget that people in the service industry get breaks from work also...

Or that they may be taking care of the needs of another table, or 4.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish tipping would go away forever . Set the price . Pay the price . Employers pay the employee a fair wage and roll with it . I hate tipping , I do it , but its goofy . So many factors play into nearly every situation , it sure isnt the waitress fault if the kitchen is 1.5 hours behind . It isnt the waitress doing if the steak is prepared just right. I know tips can be divided up but I'd much rather just pay whats listed for a service or item and forget tipping. i just got back from vegas where everyone gets tipped. Doing away with tipping would also get rid of the " who gets tipped and who doesnt " debate. And yes I tip . I just wish people didnt have to rely on it .

I wish tipping would go away forever . Set the price . Pay the price . Employers pay the employee a fair wage and roll with it . I hate tipping , I do it , but its goofy . So many factors play into nearly every situation , it sure isnt the waitress fault if the kitchen is 1.5 hours behind . It isnt the waitress doing if the steak is prepared just right. I know tips can be divided up but I'd much rather just pay whats listed for a service or item and forget tipping. i just got back from vegas where everyone gets tipped. Doing away with tipping would also get rid of the " who gets tipped and who doesnt " debate. And yes I tip . I just wish people didnt have to rely on it .

The way I look at it is that if the place sucks, kitchen is slow, food is bad, etc. it is all part of it. Most places pool tips. If the place is bad, change jobs and tips (income ) will increase.

You do not tip McDonald's. How does that work out for you?

I know we have had threads on here before about tipping and who to tip and what % to tip.

However, just today, while in Naples, a person in the party I was with said the following and I wanted to get BGP's thoughts.

"I only tip (tithe) my church 10%, why should I tip anyone else more than that?

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that I wouldn't consider the opinion of anyone who views their church contributions as a gratuity as anything other than hot air.

I always tip 20+%. I think I've only left below 20% maybe 5 or 6 times in my life. I think as long as the waiter is doing their job it is your responsibility to tip them 20%. A lot of people I know who tip less than 20% say "you're only paying for the food." If you only want to pay for the food then don't eat out.

I dont tip on %. I tip on quality of service.

If my waitress or waiter takes my order and brings my drinks but then different people bring me my food and condiments and I never see my server again until its time for the check. They need not expect a lot.

When that happens, your server is tipping out those whours expedite or back serve out of their tips. So, when you stiff your server or tip very little, you just screwed up to 3 -5 additional people. Many restaurants operate where the server is essentially the sales person, and the rest are the account management team. You think it's just your server who gets the money, when in fact, he or she is in turn paying the people who assist.

I hope you take to heart what RM is saying here, Ref. Plus, I would ask you to look around you before making that choice to dock your server for perceived inattentiveness. How many other tables is this person having to attend to? Did the restaurant suddenly go from empty to slammed? Could be the reason your server hasn't been back in a while is because they are busy getting drinks poured, entering other food orders into the system, trying to get food ran, etc.

As long as you were waited on in a timely fashion, what difference does it make who is doing it? When restaurants are busy, teamwork is required, and the test of a good restaurant is did the guest still have an overall good experience, even during the busiest of times?

Similar, I just divide it by 10% (because everyone should be about to do that in their head) and double it. Sometimes I'll add on extra for excellent service.

My standard is to do this and then round up to the next dollar. I, too, will sometimes throw in an extra amount for great service.

It's a shame that some people don't leave a reasonable tip. I liken it to cheating.

I am usually 15-20%. I will tip more if it is amazing. I usually do not tip at Chinese Buffets or places like that. I only give the Reds Ushers a Dollar and I try to avoid them is possible. In places like Starbucks or Moe's where the employees are paid an actual hourly wage but still have a tip jar, I never put anything in it.

Not that is matters and it may seem like I am being a little "big for my britches" but the word "Tithe" means "tenth." So it is impossible to "tithe" anything under or over a tenth. I usually just call it "offering."

I also do not believe the Bible tells us as Christians to give 10%. The new testament talks more about giving cheerfully and sacrificially, which means to me that it is different for everyone.

The Old Testament is more of an actual percentage/a tithe. But in the Old Testament they would only give a Tithe about 3 or 4 times a year and it was not 10% of what they earned, it was 10% of what they had. So if we were to try and follow this today, you would have to calculate everything you own and then try to give 10% of whatever its value is.