KHSAA Commish discusses state football venue

All Tell

* Tackett: I think it’s already at that point. We had a discussion with the (KHSAA Board of Control) in November. Our board technically sets the sites, and I said, “You know, I’m not saying we change and I’m not lobbying we change. I think we need to have a discussion about options and what we have going forward.” Even if we’re just thinking about 2019 and beyond, we’re being irresponsible if we don’t start talking. … I think (WKU) would tell you if their university’s success means we need to look at something else, I don’t think it’s all that problematic for them. I think it’s good for both of us.

* C-J: Would you have other options for hosting in 2017 and 2018 if you decided to break the current contract with WKU?

* Tackett: I think you have to look long-term. We have an agreement to host down here, but it’s flexible for both of us in terms of scheduling. It depends on what we find out. We have to do some exploration. We really have to do some soul-searching discussions with the board. The board that 8-10 years ago awarded the long-term deal (at WKU) has been totally turned over. We have to get feedback from our schools and from our football advisory committee, which is a critical group. It’s time to have that discussion.

* C-J: How big of an issue have the schedule changes over the last two years been for the schools involved?

* Tackett: We heard hardly nothing at all this week. One of the Class A schools expressed some concerns, and I think they were very narrow-scoped to their issues. So, maybe our schools aren’t bothered by this. They spend four weeks finding out on Sunday or Monday when they play next. So, what’s a fifth? At the same time, are you really going to continue to build an event this way?

LINK

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see the games played at Georgetown's Toyota Stadium. Holds what, 5,000? Perfect for today's crowds.

GREAT ARTICLE @Jason Frakes!!!

If you want it, get a sponsor and bid.

Most people on here just complain and truth be told are never going to go to the games no matter where they are. They just enjoy complaining.

I'm a huge fan of the Championships being at WKU, however, it has changed over the last two years with WKU being in the CUSA Championship. That change is not good for the teams that have worked their tails off to get there. Dressing rooms across the street and in batting cages is not what you would expect a Championship atmosphere would be like. Central's half time meeting place was in the hallway of the complex. Security would not even let a kid use the rest-room in WKU locker-room. Coach Scroggins took care of it, but as mad as he was at the half I would have let him by as well.

Is WKU still the best place for the Championship? Yes, if WKU does not host a conference championship.

Duece, 2008 was the last year games were at Papa Johns.
Right but it wasn't a 10-year contract. I don't know how many contracts were involved.

The current contract was a 4-year contract from 2015-2018

The prior contract ended in 2014 but I don't know when it started?

Was there 3 different 2-year contracts from 2009-2014?

Some people will complain no matter where it is held. Most events are held up towards Lexington. Nothing wrong with something held towards the Western part. It is still over a 2 hour drive from Mayfield and Paducah to get to Bowling Green.

Plus Bowling Green wants it.

Some people will complain no matter where it is held. Most events are held up towards Lexington. Nothing wrong with something held towards the Western part. It is still over a 2 hour drive from Mayfield and Paducah to get to Bowling Green.

Russell Athletic sponsorship is also huge. Mr Tackett said that money pays for all travel expenses for the teams. It would be tough to give up that benefit in order to move away from WKU, and not something the member schools should want. This is a complex problem.

Russell Athletic sponsorship is also huge. Mr Tackett said that money pays for all travel expenses for the teams. It would be tough to give up that benefit in order to move away from WKU, and not something the member schools should want. This is a complex problem.

Yes it is. It is great to have a sponsor that will help with expenses.

The bold part is my question. These games are, I'm assuming, a pretty good weekend for hotels and restaurants in BG. With that being said, how much does the impact this has on the BG economy impact where it should go? Lexington is obviously doing just fine on it's own, and so is BG. But, being so much smaller, an event like this can have a really good impact on some of the restaurants and motels.

I'd like to see the games played at Georgetown's Toyota Stadium. Holds what, 5,000? Perfect for today's crowds.

Looking at past attendance data, a 5,000 seat stadium would have been too small for all six championship games in 2014 and 2015. Since the KHSAA went to a six-class system, only 10 of the 54 championship games (not including 2016) have had crowds that would fit into a 5,000 seat stadium (5 of those 10 were in 2013 when we had the ice storm during the finals).

Now I understand you might say that's paid, not actual attendance. That's true, however, if tickets are bought then you have to make sure you have room for those patrons.

http://khsaa.org/Publications/Programs/20162017/Football/2016footballprogram.pdf

Nothing wrong with Bowling Green and the sponsorship probably is a deal maker considering all things.

KHSAA might think for the next two years anyway moving their season back one week, but I imagine it would wreak havoc on scheduling. Or they could do a two week gap for the championship. Not ideal but if they want WKU, then KHSAA has to put some skin in it.

Small college venues, if they were big enough or even the smaller state schools would have the same issue as WKU if they hosted playoff games in some instances, I would think.

Brainstorming is all I am doing. If you don't want the conflicts then UK and U of L are your options. They won't be hosting championship games in their conferences.