KHSAA Commish discusses state football venue

All Tell

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some numbers for anyone who might find them interesting: The distance from every team playing in the finals to the stadiums at WKU, UofL and UK.

Beechwood 203 to WKU 79 to UK 98 to UofL

Hazard 206 to WKU 115 to UK 188 to UofL

Danville 133 to WKU 33 to UK 84 to UofL

CAL 116 to WKU 73 to UK 0 to UofL

Central 114 to WKU 80 to UK 0 to UofL

Belfry 284 to WKU 163 to UK 232 to UofL

Franklin Simpson 21 to WKU 173 to UK 131 to UofL

Johnson Central 263 to WKU 116 to UK 187 to UofL

Bowling Green 0 to WKU 154 to UK 113 to UofL

Pulaski County 112 to WKU 78 to UK 124 to UofL

Trinity 117 to WKU 74 to UK 0 to UofL

Lafayette 152 to WKU 0 to UK 81 to UofL

I simply put any schools mileage as zero if it was in the same city, because I didn't feel there was any real travel issues for them. I know they would obviously still have to get there, but the time and logistics of going a few blocks away is vastly different compared to getting across the state.

EDIT: The average mileage to each location is: 143 miles to WKU. 94 miles to UK. 103 miles to UofL

And something else worth considering would be that a team like Mayfield doesn't figure to be out of the championship picture for long, so some of those numbers would obviously have a decently good sized change on a year to year basis.

I'm a huge fan of the Championships being at WKU, however, it has changed over the last two years with WKU being in the CUSA Championship. That change is not good for the teams that have worked their tails off to get there. Dressing rooms across the street and in batting cages is not what you would expect a Championship atmosphere would be like. Central's half time meeting place was in the hallway of the complex. Security would not even let a kid use the rest-room in WKU locker-room. Coach Scroggins took care of it, but as mad as he was at the half I would have let him by as well.

Is WKU still the best place for the Championship? Yes, if WKU does not host a conference championship.

The issues with locker rooms is there even if WKU isn't hosting the CUSA championship. This year Trinity had the Western locker room to themselves but the first year the championships were there they shared the locker room with another team. All other years Trinity has dressed in the Preston Center across the street. Western's stadium only has 2 locker rooms and the locker room on the visiting side is very small. I don't see how a visiting college team uses it.

My only complaint is how late the Trinity game was. Based on Eastern time Trinity was still playing after midnight. By the time the game ended and the celebration was allowed it was 2 AM before they even got on the bus and after 4 AM when they got back to school. That's a long day.

My only complaint is how late the Trinity game was. Based on Eastern time Trinity was still playing after midnight. By the time the game ended and the celebration was allowed it was 2 AM before they even got on the bus and after 4 AM when they got back to school. That's a long day.

Can't make you Trinity guys happy, can they?! :lol2:

To modify a hilarious quote from Chandler on Friends, "Oh no! A late night after a state championship! My wallet's too small for my fifties and my diamond shoes are too tight!"

On a bright note the issues are being caused by WKU being successful (with 39 boys from the Bluegrass on their roster), not a lot of people expected them to be playing for Conference Titles just 8 years ago when they came up with intentions of joining the Sun Belt. I for one expected perennial mediocrity with a "good" season here or there. Rumor has it the American Conference is watching the BIG 12 closely and is ready to raid CUSA (with WKU on its radar) if any AAC schools join the Big 12, now while the AAC isn't the former power (if you can call it that) as the BEAST was it still has a little prestige left. Its a hassle sure, but WKU isn't going to start a run of Conference titles and hosting them all for years to come, with Brohm gone it's almost certainly a step back for the Hilltoppers.

There may be other issues that warrant moving the games, but I think the two biggest strawman arguments are travel time and rescheduling due to WKU winning. Someone is always going to have trouble with the travel arrangements, moving it out of WKU just changes who that is. WKU winning should be enjoyed and not looked at as a burden.

Can't make you Trinity guys happy, can they?! :lol2:

To modify a hilarious quote from Chandler on Friends, "Oh no! A late night after a state championship! My wallet's too small for my fifties and my diamond shoes are too tight!"

Would I have rather played late and won then not play at all? Absolutely, but when the first game was only scheduled with a 3 hour window they had to know the second game was likely to start late. At least Trinity spent the day at home and came down that afternoon. Lafayette came down the night before and had to keep their kids from going stir crazy in a hotel all day.

GREAT ARTICLE @Jason Frakes!!!

If you want it, get a sponsor and bid.

Most people on here just complain and truth be told are never going to go to the games no matter where they are. They just enjoy complaining.

Good post.

From reading the article I don't think the Football State Championships are going anywhere and after a lot of time and consideration if I were in charge I would leave them at WKU, it is the perfect venue for games.

Good post.

From reading the article I don't think the Football State Championships are going anywhere and after a lot of time and consideration if I were in charge I would leave them at WKU, it is the perfect venue for games.

I love WKU as the venue...

I dont have any problem with Bowling Green as the destination...

But I do have a major problem with the production value of the event and the fact it is not a live broadcast around the entire State of Kentucky

As I have said before, I honestly think the Middle School State Championships can teach the High School a thing or two.

Good post.

Truth be told, the times I have traveled to WKU, I didn't mind it a bit. I just enjoy complaining. :lol:

Would I have rather played late and won then not play at all? Absolutely, but when the first game was only scheduled with a 3 hour window they had to know the second game was likely to start late. At least Trinity spent the day at home and came down that afternoon. Lafayette came down the night before and had to keep their kids from going stir crazy in a hotel all day.

I was just joking with you AT!

How do you think Johnson Central felt last year?