KHSAA Commish discusses state football venue

All Tell

First, although I love the games at WKU (as I honestly think it gives my Purples an advantage) and am cool for them to stay as long as they want, my first choice would be to have a Master Sponsor for the games and rotate them between WKU, UofL, UK and EKU (once their renovations are complete). I would not rule out a Murray State or a Morehead State as well, but there would be more belly-aching with those, so I would keep it to four. I would rotate on a 3 year schedule.

This would allow people for all edges of the State to go to the games likely on a rotating basis as well. I get that Johnson Central fans don't want to drive to BG just to watch any other teams besides their own. They could go when the games are at UK. Casual Belfry fans could wait till they come to EKU and etc.

BUT if that won't work and I suspect it won't because that would mean the KHSAA would have to do the Heavy lifting of securing the Master Sponsor on their own, which I doubt they would do UNLESS they are forced to.

With that in mind and thinking long term like the Commissioner said here are some rankings for those 4 venues to stir discussion listing them from best equipped for the category to the least equipped for the category.

Parking: UK/UofL tie, WKU, EKU

Concessions (Value): IMO they all would suck here. The popcorn I got this weekend was a joke for $5.

Venue: WKU, EKU, UK/UofL tie

Hotels/Restaurants: UK and UofL likely have more overall, but IMO BG is more than adequate; EKU trailing here

Locker Room Space/Logistics: Would think UK and UofL would clearly be best here; EKU is still being determined and WKU can be challenging.

Sponsor: WKU - Russell Athletics; Bueller, Bueller..... Anyone?

Bottom Line: If you don't have a sponsor, you can not bid in this current environment no matter of the other fan friendly factors.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stadium is great for the games. The problem is the facilities for teams. Beechwood had to use a baseball batting cage as their locker room. The cage took up about 90% of the room. The room also had no bathrooms and no showers, so the kids couldn't even shower after the game. The Batting Cage was about a 4 minute walk to the stadium. Also, at half time the team was in a hallway with no tables or boards to write on. Coaches were on their knees writing adjustments down on folding chairs. If they can't guarantee locker rooms, they shouldn't be hosting games. These kids work their butts off to be rewarded with an unbelievable experience. Getting dressed around Jugs machines and bat racks shouldn't be a problem that needs to be endured.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

It's really funny because my wife, who is a Pike Central graduate, made the comment on the way home Sunday that she just didn't understand the desire to drive 5 hours to watch High School Football. " That's because you went to Pike Central, had you gone to Belfry you wouldn't even question it, there were people who drove farther than us.." Was the reply I gave her. My earliest memories are of Belfry Cheerleaders tossing out little red footballs in what I believe was the game against Danville in 86. We just a different breed of fanatic lol.

GREAT ARTICLE @Jason Frakes!!!

If you want it, get a sponsor and bid.

Most people on here just complain and truth be told are never going to go to the games no matter where they are. They just enjoy complaining.

If the games where in Georgetown, Lexington or Richmond I would definitely go. It is nothing against WKU it is just about distance.

We just a different breed of fanatic
That we are. I was going to say there is no such thing as a Casual Belfry Fan but @AtlPirateFan beat me to it.

My crew once drove from Belfry to Hopkinsville to watch a game between Leslie Co (Belfry's rival) and Hopkinsville. That was a fun trip and we had absolutely nothing at stake. I think my wife thought I was pretty nuts but I had a ball.

That we are. I was going to say there is no such thing as a Casual Belfry Fan but @AtlPirateFan beat me to it.

My crew once drove from Belfry to Hopkinsville to watch a game between Leslie Co (Belfry's rival) and Hopkinsville. That was a fun trip and we had absolutely nothing at stake. I think my wife thought I was pretty nuts but I had a ball.

Oh yeah, we stopped and watched Whitley Co and South Laurel play on the way there. lol