Kaepernick: "There's a lot of racism in this country disguised as patriotism"

gametime

If Aaron Rodgers or even Tom Brady took a knee with Kap then Kap's protest would gain validity. Guaranteed that there would be a number of people who would say, "damn, if Aaron and Tom are taking a knee then there must be something really going on." Not saying you know anyone who would think like that but there would be thousands of people nationwide who soften their stance as a result of Aaron and Tom joining the cause. Guarantee it.
We are a big country. It is safe to guarantee that somebody will say anything under any circumstance. The overwhelming majority of people would condemn Rodgers, Brady, or any other white person for hating his country and praising Fidel Castro. I guarantee it.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing but damage control - probably his agent's idea. Kaepernick did not even bother to vote. There is nothing patriotic about disrespecting one's own country by taking a strong public political stand and then not even bothering to perform one's most basic civic duty. If he wants to set a good example for youngsters, then the least he could have done was to have voted.

Nothing but damage control - probably his agent's idea. Kaepernick did not even bother to vote. There is nothing patriotic about disrespecting one's own country by taking a strong public political stand and then not even bothering to perform one's most basic civic duty. If he wants to set a good example for youngsters, then the least he could have done was to have voted.

I didn't vote for POTUS either. I did vote for almost everything else. I left some others blank where I didn't know either candidate running. Did you hear his reasoning for not voting?

We are a big country. It is safe to guarantee that somebody will say anything under any circumstance. The overwhelming majority of people would condemn Rodgers, Brady, or any other white person for hating his country and praising Fidel Castro. I guarantee it.

Agree to disagree. The only people hating on Brady would be the same people mad about some PSI in a football.

I didn't vote for POTUS either. I did vote for almost everything else. I left some others blank where I didn't know either candidate running. Did you hear his reasoning for not voting?
No, I did not hear his reason. It would not matter to me. His praise of Castro tells me where his sympathies lie. Had he been born in Cuba, he would have either been intimidated into silence, thrown into prison, or worse. Millionaire NFL QBs should be thanking God that they were born in a country that allows them to be paid fortunes for playing a child's game.

I hate Brady because he is a cheater. If he were also a communist sympathizing America-hater, it certainly would not help his popularity.

The defense rests, your honor. :lol2: :lol2:

I ain't mad at ya. I just started liking Brady a few years ago when it hit me that we are likely watching the greatest QB to ever play the game.

No, I did not hear his reason. It would not matter to me. His praise of Castro tells me where his sympathies lie. Had he been born in Cuba, he would have either been intimidated into silence, thrown into prison, or worse. Millionaire NFL QBs should be thanking God that they were born in a country that allows them to be paid fortunes for playing a child's game.

No debate there. His praise of Castro lets me know he doesn't always listen to his agent.

• 2 months later...

Colin Kaepernick a hypocrite! Ends protest now that he needs job - NY Daily News

Colin Kaepernick a hypocrite as he ends national anthem protest now that he needs a new job

Just in time to go get his next NFL contract, Colin Kaepernick's national anthem protest is done.

On Thursday morning, according to ESPN, Kaepernick, who spent all of last season kneeling during the national anthem in a polarizing and impactful protest of police brutality and minority oppression, is suddenly done kneeling.

"Kaepernick no longer wants the past method of protest to detract from the positive change that he believes has been created, per sources," ESPN's Adam Schefter wrote.

Meet Colin Kaepernick, who comes off as a hypocrite and pretend protester after spending a half-year playing a part, but is now ready to step down after sparking a movement, proving once again how the pursuit of money can undermine the pursuit of racial justice.

For six months, Kaepernick was an obstinate, powerful and resolute presence in the battle against racial injustice, a rallying cry for frustrated minorities, fed up watching unarmed black men dying at the hands of law enforcement. For six months, he couldn't care less about those who felt he was attacking "The Star-Spangled Banner" instead of making any true impact against racial injustice, insisted that their inability to see past the anthem and understand his point was part of the problem.

But now, suddenly, there's no problem, and it's the perfect time to listen. Now, Colin Kaepernick needs to get paid, so he's putting his protest down, saying it was flawed, ineffectual, that it was distraction. Now is the perfect time to agree that his method did "detract" from his message, that kneeling during the national anthem was inflaming one half of the country even as it empowered the other half.

And hey, now there's money and a contract and a football future on the line, so all the problems of the nation have obviously been instantly solved.

So Kaepernick happily abandons all those who turned his act into a movement, from players around the NFL to athletes in other sports, from youngsters in high schools to national anthem singers to newspapers such as this one, that advocated for Kaepernick constantly. Now, he leaves them all to be mocked for months, and with one act, turns a protest that once seemed eloquent in its non-violence to that of a petulant second-grader who didn't quite understand what he was fighting for.

Looks like the second-grader wants his allowance now. The second-grader realizes that the battle against racial injustice isn't easy, so he's done.

That second-grader spent last season earning $14.3 million while kneeling, but at the moment, he doesn't have a deal for his future, so it's time to walk away, time to leave Martellus Bennett and Devin McCourty and anyone else raising their fists and speaking out, because the hard part is here, and Colin Kaepernick never had a heart for the hard part.

Not that NFL personnel people are buying. Said one personnel guy: "Too little, too late now. Sounds more like 'damage control' by his agents to try and get him another contract."

And just in time to abandon those who worked so hard to justify his national anthem protest, that's exactly what this is.

I think there would be way less of a reaction if Rodgers or Witten did it. No way either of them gets talked about the way Kaepernick is talked about. Not a chance.
I think you are wrong. If Rodgers did it, it would be even bigger. It's not the color of Kap's skin that made it such a big deal, it was the action itself. IF Rodgers did it it would have been huge. Much bigger star and has a lot more pull with the fanbase than Kap does. Would have been twice as big of a deal at least.