Minnesota Police Shooting

afi100guy

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends, if he followed policy and the law, I don't think anyone can stop him from resuming his job.

Minn. officer acquitted in shooting of Philando Castile during traffic stop, dismissed from police force - The Washington Post

Officials in St. Anthony, Minn., where Yanez worked as a police officer, said he will not return to the police department from leave after the trial. They said they have decided “the public will be best served if Officer Yanez is no longer a police officer in our city.”

“The city intends to offer Officer Yanez a voluntary separation agreement to help him transition to another career other than being a St. Anthony officer,” the city said in a statement. “The terms of this agreement will be negotiated in the near future, so details are not available at this time. In the meantime, Officer Yanez will not return to active duty.”

I can see where he is looking. I can also see that when the other officer fires in that direction he retreats.

Castile is also calmly telling him he isn't reaching for his gun. There's something we are missing there. You continually make an inference that you know what that something is and seem to blindly believe what the officer is saying.

Well they did say they found marijuana in Castiles system and that they believed that his impairment may have lead to Castile not fully understanding the officers commands.

Watching the video of the little girl in the back of the police cruiser with her mom just breaks my heart.

I tend to side with police officers in the very unfortunate scenarios where they have to discharge their weapon to take another persons life while in fear of their own, but watching the video of that little girl tore me up inside. When she asked her mother to stop cussing and yelling because she didn't want her to get shot too, it made my insides turn. That is a fear I never had as a four year old.

I guess the key question is was the victim reaching for his gun (as the officer believes) or reaching for his wallet to produce license and insurance as he was instructed. Neither video really shows that.

Early in the video the officer asks for license and registration, Castile handed him something and the office looked at it. Than Castile advised he had a weapon and reached for something.

Minn. officer acquitted in shooting of Philando Castile during traffic stop, dismissed from police force - The Washington Post

Officials in St. Anthony, Minn., where Yanez worked as a police officer, said he will not return to the police department from leave after the trial. They said they have decided “the public will be best served if Officer Yanez is no longer a police officer in our city.”

“The city intends to offer Officer Yanez a voluntary separation agreement to help him transition to another career other than being a St. Anthony officer,” the city said in a statement. “The terms of this agreement will be negotiated in the near future, so details are not available at this time. In the meantime, Officer Yanez will not return to active duty.”

Great and thanks for posting. This sounds fair to me.