Muhammad Ali Has Died

SportsGuy41017

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm 52 which means I'm of the age where I got to watch all of the big Ali fights on TV in the 70s. It was family viewing time at our household. An Ali flurry was so much fun to watch.

How great was it as a kid to be able to watch the HW title match on regular TV, and it actually mattered, a bunch? And with Jim McKay doing the lead-in to Howard? To quote my all-time favorite PBP guy, "Oh My!"

Ali's position as a conscientious objector is polarizing to many, but I'm among those who defend it.

As a Catholic who defends the just war principle, I can't help but see the perspective of conscientious objection as legitimate. Killing another human being should be done as a last resort, and when political motives are brought into perspective in many situations, it's hard to argue that there aren't situations where war is not the answer before other means have been exhausted. For someone to object to being forced to be put into a position to take another person's life in that situation is completely understandable, in my opinion.

Ali's athletic prowess clearly established him as one of the greatest athletes of all time. His socio-political perspective put him over the top. The way I see it, Muhammad Ali put his celebrity to the greatest use that any person could have ever hoped to. I am truly, TRULY sad that he has died.

Ali's position as a conscientious objector is polarizing to many, but I'm among those who defend it.

As a Catholic who defends the just war principle, I can't help but see the perspective of conscientious objection as legitimate. Killing another human being should be done as a last resort, and when political motives are brought into perspective in many situations, it's hard to argue that there aren't situations where war is not the answer before other means have been exhausted. For someone to object to being forced to be put into a position to take another person's life in that situation is completely understandable, in my opinion.

Ali's athletic prowess clearly established him as one of the greatest athletes of all time. His socio-political perspective put him over the top. The way I see it, Muhammad Ali put his celebrity to the greatest use that any person could have ever hoped to. I am truly, TRULY sad that he has died.

Agreed on all counts.

How great was it as a kid to be able to watch the HW title match on regular TV, and it actually mattered, a bunch? And with Jim McKay doing the lead-in to Howard? To quote my all-time favorite PBP guy, "Oh My!"

I don't remember many of Ali's fights in the 70's being shown live on TV. The three fights with Frazier, Foreman, etc. Boxing was common on TV then, but almost all the big fights were shown on closed circuit, and then rebroadcast a couple of weeks later on national tv, and instead of national TV, on HBO.

I'm pretty sure I never saw one of Ali's fights on live tv.

My dad retired from the Ft. Thomas police force in 1989 (still in his 40's) and worked in management for a couple of security firms until he retired for good in the early 2000's. In 1990, his security firm was called to work an evening where Ali was going to Kroger in Cincinnati to pitch a shaving cream of his. Kroger did not buy in and I guess the brand never took off. My dad did get a couple of samples that he has kept to this day.

Anyway, Ali could barely talk then but my dad got to meet him. Evil Knievel was with him too! Evidently Knievel and Ali were decent friends. Anyway, my dad has THE COOLEST picture of him in between Muhammad Ali and Evil Knievel! He also got them each to sign some stuff. I LOVE the picture because of how young they all look, especially my dad - he was almost 46 then (younger than me now).

My dad said Ali was really gracious and even shadow boxed with him a little. Also, Knievel was totally loaded! Was darn near incoherent he was so drunk. I was over my parents last night for dinner and I asked my dad to get the stuff out...really cool to see it again... RIP Muhammad Ali!!!!

I don't remember many of Ali's fights in the 70's being shown live on TV. The three fights with Frazier, Foreman, etc. Boxing was common on TV then, but almost all the big fights were shown on closed circuit, and then rebroadcast a couple of weeks later on national tv, and instead of national TV, on HBO.

I'm pretty sure I never saw one of Ali's fights on live tv.

I recall many of his fights being on Saturday afternoons on Wide World of Sports on the ABC network. This was probably in the 60's though. For a while, he had his own "Bum of the Month Club."

I recall many of his fights being on Saturday afternoons on Wide World of Sports on the ABC network. This was probably in the 60's though. For a while, he had his own "Bum of the Month Club."

The 60's were a bit before my time.

I get the feelings of the people who claim Ali was not a hero because of his stance against the war and his belief he did not have to serve. We all know people who lost family members in Vietnam OR that have family members who were never the same upon their return.

However, he said the law allowed him to not serve and was ultimately proven to be correct. He chose not to serve. He took the route of "conscientious objector." Many, including future POTUS, took the "college student deferment" path. All chose not to serve for various reasons. They just took different legal paths.

Even if we completely ignore his belief that not only did he not want to kill foreign people but he certainly didn't want to do so in the name of a country that didn't recognize him as equal to his white friends, how was his path worse?

Great athlete.

Any issues with him bailing on his civic duty to fight for our country when he got drafted?

'God' rest Cassius Clay !

Elvis didn't dodge the draft.

Lots of people didn't want to go there and fight, but did their civic duty.

I doubt he would have seen any action, probably been a poster boy, but we will never know.

Elvis didn't dodge the draft.

Lots of people didn't want to go there and fight, but did their civic duty.

When you say "a lot of people" you mean "a lot of poor or of color who didn't have enough leverage to get the govt to allow for exceptions for them."

And before anyone loses their mind , yes , I'm well aware of white college grads who proudly served. Doesn't change the point re: deferments.

When you say "a lot of people" you mean "a lot of poor or of color who didn't have enough leverage to get the govt to allow for exceptions for them."

And before anyone loses their mind , yes , I'm well aware of white college grads who proudly served. Doesn't change the point re: deferments.

None of my uncles that served during that time were "Poor or of Color" so maybe he just meant a lot of people.

None of my uncles that served during that time were "Poor or of Color" so maybe he just meant a lot of people.

Well, that didn't take long.

I already stated I wasn't saying it was ONLY those two groups who served.