Muhammad Ali Has Died

SportsGuy41017

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In 1963 the college enrollment rate for US males was about 54%. In 1968, the height of the Vietnam War, the enrollment rate was 15% higher. When they stopped drafting as many men the enrollment rate decreased.

Which groups in the 60s had the least amount of representation in Congress and had the least ability to attend college? Poor and of color.

What would I have done? No idea. Maybe went to college to better myself. Maybe went to college to avoid being killed. Maybe I would have enlisted. Who knows.

Again, if you took the deferment were you any more patriotic or better than Ali who challenged the legality?

He was good at dodging several things. (just couldn't pass up the lead into this one).

While I certainly get and appreciate the humor did he really "dodge" the draft? I picture "draft dodgers" as those who ran off to Canada or just didn't show up. He stood up and said the law was on his side and was willing to go to jail. That's not dodging IMO.

While I certainly get and appreciate the humor did he really "dodge" the draft? I picture "draft dodgers" as those who ran off to Canada or just didn't show up. He stood up and said the law was on his side and was willing to go to jail. That's not dodging IMO.

I thought he changed his religious beliefs in order to avoid the draft? To be honest don't really know that much about it.

1997 Arthur Ashe Courage Award

BBC Sports Personality of the Century

Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Century

Kentucky Athlete of the Century

2001 Presidential Citizens Medal

2005 Presidential Medal of Freedom

Otto Hahn Peace Medal

Ali would be HATED by most BGPers today for his beliefs. No question in my mind.

Without question.

My dislike for him has nothing to do with his faith. You get drafted to serve your country, you go. Simple as that. And before anyone asks, I view anyone else who was drafted and didn't serve in the same light.

Personally, I hate that this thread morphed into the draft issue. It certainly could have been discussed in a separate thread in a respectful time frame. But, if the "Nancy Reagan Died" thread taught me anything....

I think it is all part of the fame and fortune. We all think it is great when we see these fabulous athletes/actors, etc. make all of this money and lead this glorious life style. The sad part is that their private lives also become non existent. Every thing they do gets put under the scope and we all get our chance to judge them for the great that they do and any wrong doings they might partake in.

Without question.

My dislike for him has nothing to do with his faith. You get drafted to serve your country, you go. Simple as that. And before anyone asks, I view anyone else who was drafted and didn't serve in the same light.

"Didn't serve" as in took a deferment?