Muhammad Ali Has Died

SportsGuy41017

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

True blue - you Ok with all the politics at the funeral ? I guess if you agree with the politics that makes it OK ? I'm not attempting to argue , just having a hard time figuring out how anyone could think promoting a website , any website , at a guys funeral is a beautiful , fitting idea .

True blue - you Ok with all the politics at the funeral ? I guess if you agree with the politics that makes it OK ? I'm not attempting to argue , just having a hard time figuring out how anyone could think promoting a website , any website , at a guys funeral is a beautiful , fitting idea .

First, we are NOT going to discuss politics here.

I'd say that if you only saw 90 seconds of the funeral that any judgment you are making would be extremely narrow. Many of the speakers have mentioned the social issues that were important to Ali. I would say that was part of who he was, so discussing those ideas and visions for the future are probably fitting. I didn't notice a website promotion, but again, I'm a "big picture" kind of person. If I had to guess, I would assume that it was from Rabbi Michael Lerner, who said "The way to honor Muhammad Ali is to be Muhammad Ali." I get it and think that it is beautiful and fitting.

I've watched from the beginning, it has been a beautiful service. A nice tribute to the Man, not just the boxer.

I understand Manitoudan's point he is making but going along with TB&G's sentiment...I think what has been said is what he would have wanted said.

I think you are sidestepping my complaint a bit , but thats ok . " Please go visit my website " has no place at a funeral in my eyes .

It is helpful if you quote the person you are trying to have dialogue with.

Your opinion is noted. As I said, I didn't even notice it, so it didn't make an impression at all.

Here's my opinion, as you keep side-stepping it, too. You admittedly watched 90 seconds of the funeral and called it an embarrassment. I'm not sure how you can see such a small snippet and make such an extreme statement. To each his/her own.

Yep . Looked like a bunch of self promotion and politicking to me.

To be fair it was just one guy that seemed to do that and as I said early I think they expected/wanted him to say what he said. Which is fine, Ali planned out every detail and this guy to have a voice at his service.

I am in awe of the essence that is Muhammad Ali. There are people who trancend their humanity. And there are only a few of them. And of most of them have now passed. Who amongst my generation or the next has the potential to impact the world in the way of Ali? No one that I can think of. People don't have the utter strength of character to do what they believe is right and lose everything for it. Many say they will, but do so with the knowledge they won't ever face such a difficult decision.

If you haven't ever been to the Ali Center, do yourself a favor and go. Whether you agree with his faith or his convictions or not, you owe it to yourself to experience the Center. He was an extraordinary person. Yet he was an exceptionally normal person. I met him once, but was in his proximity many times. I never saw him say no to anyone who wanted to meet him. Never saw him brush off someone who wanted a picture, a handshake, a moment of his time. Of course he was aware of his fame, his grandeur. But he seemed to think it was his duty to those who held him in such high esteem, to accommodate them.

We all could learn from him, how to live our lives with integrity and strength of character. We could all learn from his embrace of all cultures, religions and social status.

I am both profoundly saddened today, and inspired.