50 Greatest Programs in Kentucky History: #15-8

gchs_uk9

Nah. Highlands will be #1 so the natives will be happy. They probably have more district titles than Trinity has been open. Highlands will be #1 easily by a pretty significant margin is my prediction.

Trinity has been open for the entire time of the playoff system being used. I believe someone said 1955 or so.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AND there was a LOT of football played before we had a class system and playoffs.

I agree but this poll was based on the playoff years only.

For the much older programs, the question arises are they great because they've been around forever? For example, Danville will always be ahead of Boyle because of titles but also because of longevity. For better or worse, Boyle has only been a school for half the time that Danville has been playing football.

A Titanic Sized Boat Load. :thumb:

They're my dark horse with everyone talking T and HHS. They have the most region championships and have been winning since the get go. I know they're behind on SC's but may be able to make up the deficit with district titles.

I do agree there. I do think both should be higher up in the rankings. BG around 4-5 and Boyle County around 8-10.

Since this is a mathematical formula it would be hard to overcome T,HHS, X, Mayfield and Danville to get into the top 5. Shoot, you still have Beechwood out there also although their success didn't start until the early 70's.

Lots of interesting teams left.

I think that's a broad brush you are painting with, because to me I simply value state titles significantly higher than anything else. I think extremely high of the Corbin program, I just think Male is easily one of the top 10 programs in the state history off titles alone even if they were bad in the 80's same with Boyle, or Highlands, or BG, Danville, Belfry, Trinity, X. While I am sure I am leaving someone out, those are the teams I think of when I think of a top 10, and to not have Male in there is crazy and I would say the same for Boyle as well.

What about a hypothetical team that has a single state championship thanks to one good year, but no other runner up or even district title elsewhere. Would they be a stronger program than a place like O-Cath or Somerset, teams that are good every year, but just have never quite captured a title?

BG>Boyle County

And the last time they played it was proven on the field. Having been close to both programs for large chunks of my life I can say this easily and without hesitation.

It's not even close to a debate.

I disagree 100%.

I didn't go to BCHS and from an outsider looking at both would never have thought of BG as better than Boyle.

Not even up for debate.

See how easy that is? ;)

Edited by WhoYaWith

Quote Originally Posted by 35Bird View Post

Lots of debate here with teams with teams #15-8 .

If Highlands does not get the #1 spot, the Internet will explode.

If Trinity does not get the #1 spot, the Internet will explode.

If they tie, the Internet will explode.

Good-bye, Internet.

Mayfield also has to be in the exploding equation with all their regional titles. They have to have a boatload of district titles, a big boatload.

I wasn't talking about who was deserving and who wasn't. I was referring to the size of the reaction and the assembly of these respective fans on these pages. Mayfield, Danville, Beechwood, and others certainly belong in the conversation.

Lots of debate here with teams with teams #15-8 .

If Highlands does not get the #1 spot, the Internet will explode.

If Trinity does not get the #1 spot, the Internet will explode.

If they tie, the Internet will explode.

Good-bye, Internet.

Shrug. I'm a Trinity fan and knowing the formula, I would be surprised if Trinity beat Highlands for #1.

If Trinity isn't at least #2 though... :no:

I think the Boyle fans are taking a made up top team in state too literal, you all are becoming borderline like Highlands fans.

Naw Ref. Just like in other forums, I prefer to bring out the data and let you see for yourself than just make a blanket statement (i.e. They were nothing before Smith) and not be able to back it up.

:thumb:

Of the 7 teams remaining.. #7 seems like a no-brainer based off the number of Titles won. I also think #6 looks like an easy one.

In fact it almost seems so much of a no brainer for #7 I am wondering if all their District Titles and State Runner-Ups doesnt create a bit of controversy that led to the way gchs released these and pushed the Pause button at #8 :sssh:

Interested to see

What about a hypothetical team that has a single state championship thanks to one good year, but no other runner up or even district title elsewhere. Would they be a stronger program than a place like O-Cath or Somerset, teams that are good every year, but just have never quite captured a title?

I think 1 state title is worth more than 3-5 district titles easily yes, even though 1 state title could be a little flukey. You start compounding multiple state titles like 5-7 even if it is in a short period and I would take that over 30 district titles any day, but that's just my opinion.