50 Greatest Programs in Kentucky History: #15-8

gchs_uk9

Great thread, but putting NCC ahead of Male and BG is ridiculous. Both Male and BG should be top 5 or 6. Male is like 3rd nationally in wins. I realize that there was a program that made these results and its pretty good. Maybe I just think total wins should be factored in somehow? Although, that would probably bump Highlands to one, and ironically I think they belong at two.

The problem with talking about total wins is that these rankings begin in 1959. Male had accumulated over a half-century's worth of wins at that point but those didn't factor into any of the math for the purpose of this thread.

Also, for the sake of extending the point, here are Male's records from 1971-1980:

1971 - 0-8-1

1972 - 0-9-1

1973 - 3-8

1974 - 6-4

1975 - 4-7

1976 - 0-10

1977 - 1-10

1978 - 0-11

1979 - 1-10

1980 - 2-9

A decade that saw them go 17-86-2, win no district titles, and fail to participate in any playoff games, let alone win any, means that during their down period there were other schools (like Newport Catholic) who were closing and then furthering that gap.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point for sure. I didn't know that Male had that bad of a streak. I guess its just to me, in my mind, Male's program is greater than the formula shows. I believe that longevity and being 3rd nationally in wins bumps them up the list. But you could never account for stuff like in a formula.

Well if BG only had to defeat Rockcastle County and Glasgow every now and then to win a title then I'm sure they'd be in double digits whereas Boyle Count would still only have 7. Just couldn't figure out that Highlands riddle when push came to shove now could they.......

Hahahahahahahahaha

And Brandon Smith should have won it over Curtis Pulley in 2004 and Rees Macshara should have won it in 2009 over Antonio Andrews.

Why do you think Macshara should've won over Andrews? Andrews did go 45-0 as a starter with 3 championships!

Since your username is purple pride and you think Bowling green has a lot better football program and tradition than Boyle why do you claim to be a Boyle county fan? Who ya with is not the only Boyle fan who thinks Boyle should be ranked ahead of Bowling green IMO Boyle has the better program and tradition. You live in Boyle and should know the talent Boyle has in the last two middle school teams that have went undefeated yet you said in another 5 years Bowling green will have more titles than Boyle I see where your loyalty lies why bother to say you're a Boyle fan? I don't have a problem with the poll the way it's set up I just got tired of you telling us how much better Bowling green is than Boyle if you're a Boyle fan then give credit where credit is due.

How do you know those middle school teams will pan out in High School? You don't, winning middle school means absolutely nothing, especially if you didn't play any good teams in that run. You want be playing the Salt River Conference in High School. For example the Mercer County Middle school team won 3 championships afew years back and what have they done in High School? Middle School means nothing

Why do you think Macshara should've won over Andrews? Andrews did go 45-0 as a starter with 3 championships!

That season Rees had just as many total yards and total touchdowns as Andrews and his final 2 games against Bell County and Lone Oak were two of the best individual performances I have seen from a high school player. My bias will not allow me to choose anyone other than Rees in 2009. He was unbelievable that season.

How do you know those middle school teams will pan out in High School? You don't, winning middle school means absolutely nothing, especially if you didn't play any good teams in that run. You want be playing the Salt River Conference in High School. For example the Mercer County Middle school team won 3 championships afew years back and what have they done in High School? Middle School means nothing

To be fair those Mercer County middle school teams are still in high school. The book on them isn't finished yet. They will be pretty good next season.

To be fair those Mercer County middle school teams are still in high school. The book on them isn't finished yet. They will be pretty good next season.

This last season class at Mercer were middle school champions, the class before them with Layne Peavler were middle school champions, and next year senior class were middle school champions. But you're right next year senior class was dominant like Boyle middle school was this year.

This last season class at Mercer were middle school champions, the class before them with Layne Peavler were middle school champions, and next year senior class were middle school champions. But you're right next year senior class was dominant like Boyle middle school was this year.

That's them. I can see them making a deep run in 4A next season.