Move the games back to Louisville!

W.E. Raider

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I could care less about where the games played, honestly I'm a lot closer to BG than Lexington or Louisville, but I don't understand the rationale that because their would be unfilled seats at Commonwealth or Papa Johns that it should be a huge factor in determining where the games are played. Other states do it for their championship games. Lucas Oil Stadium is as big of a venue as Commonwealth and the Indiana folks don't seem to have any complaints. Ohio plays theirs in the massive 100,000+ Horseshoe.

Texas has theirs at Cowboy stadium. Even playoff games!

And they have high school stadiums that would look empty if hosting the KY finals!

The stadium is great! I believe it was the first year when Allen County played Boyle County, it was a great atmosphere. This year with South Warren and BG playing, the atmosphere should be just as exciting.

Parking is always an issue at WKU, but this year will be particularly difficult with the number of events taking place on campus over the course of the weekend.

Does this have something to do with people actually having to spend money to go watch a sporting event? A bunch of misers.

Sorry people from the southern part of the state don't want to travel to Lexington for Basketball, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Baseball, Softball, and Football. People are so quick to cry over spending a buck. Sorry you have to take one drive out of the year to watch the best of the best in one sport. One sport outside of a metro and it becomes terrible.. Whether you wanna admit it or not, WKU has the best stadium for a high school championship. Turf, nice club area (high school state championship size, not national championship size), More than enough seating but not too much. Yes parking may be a little tough but is that what's not gonna make you come watch?

You have all state championships in the northern part of the state. What's wrong with having ONE down here? Give us a break from traveling for once.

Well, seeing as how is the only finals most of the members on the board care about or would attend, of course we don't care about the where the other championships are held.

I doubt WKU really is 'perfect'. The only thing Papa John's has different is more seats and more parking, and honestly don't understand why those are bad things. Then consider that Louisville is more central to the rest of the state (especially to it's population centers), has more accommodations, and more attractions and things to do outside of the finals.

Personally though, it's not the parking making it difficult it's the travel time. From where I live it's four hours, assuming I get good traffic. Eight hours round trip with associated costs (like lodging since I don't have family in the city) is a bit steep for this poor boy.

I get why some people want it to stay there, but it isn't as though others don't have valid reasons for wanting it to move.

I think it would be good to rotate between WKU and EKU (once they get their stadium refurbished & a sponsor) every so often. Don't get me wrong I love it at WKU! But I understand for Johnson Central folks for example this year that's not as good or for Mayfield fans if they had to travel to Richmond. But moving it around could be more fair. I just don't like the idea of HUGE stadiums for these games. Just my opinion.

I could care less about where the games played, honestly I'm a lot closer to BG than Lexington or Louisville, but I don't understand the rationale that because their would be unfilled seats at Commonwealth or Papa Johns that it should be a huge factor in determining where the games are played. Other states do it for their championship games. Lucas Oil Stadium is as big of a venue as Commonwealth and the Indiana folks don't seem to have any complaints. Ohio plays theirs in the massive 100,000+ Horseshoe.

Does not seem to effect the Basketball State Tournament at Rupp. Seldom is there much of a crowd in the upper level.

Bottom line with KHSAA it is all about $$$. As long as sponsors will throw cash at them in BG Tackett and his tools will continue to use WKU.

Does not seem to effect the Basketball State Tournament at Rupp. Seldom is there much of a crowd in the upper level.

Bottom line with KHSAA it is all about $$$. As long as sponsors will throw cash at them in BG Tackett and his tools will continue to use WKU.

I can understand this analogy, but basketball is a whole different story. You wouldn't be able to hold a basketball state finals game in Kentucky at WKU or one of the OVC schools. Just not enough room. I've kinda wondered why they haven't moved that to Louisville, considering it's a brand new facility. But as you said, the sponsor with Whitaker Bank and the fact it's the #1 school in the nation as of now (Go Cards) is probably why it's still there.

Texas has theirs at Cowboy stadium. Even playoff games!

And they have high school stadiums that would look empty if hosting the KY finals!

Watching the Texas UIL state finals on tv last year was pretty neat with the games being in Cowboys Stadium, but this year they will be payed at NRG Stadium in Houston so the crowd won't look nearly as small even when they draw 40k+ for some of the games.

It kinda has to be about money with the KHSAA. I think money brought in from the Sweet 16 basically pays for everything (and every sport championship) the organization sponsors. They have to try to make money on basketball and football.

I think "if" EKU gets a stadium refurbishment (including new visitors side stands) that we "could" see them become interested in hosting.

If you haven't been to Richmond in the last 5 years or so, it really has grown & wouldn't have a problem hosting it with hotels, restaurants, etc.....

Nothing against BG or WKU, just my 2cents.