Move the games back to Louisville!

W.E. Raider

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Louisville would be so much easier just from a travel point, Teams in western ky hit 65 and go north, Lex hits 64 and is there, NKY hits 71 and is there, even south eastern hits 75 to 64 and is there, the parkways going to BG are terrible. Plus like people have said, who cares about the empty seats, pretty much every state out there plays in too big of a stadium for the finals.

Where are those WKY teams hitting 65 at? E'town (circa WK Parkway ending between Exit 91-94)? If so, they could just as easily go south to BG from there. BG exits are in the 20s, E'town's in the 90s. 70 miles ish on a 70 mph road. Granted Louisville is 40 miles north of E'town, but way more traffic and slower speeds (some parts of I-65 drop to 65-60 and maybe even 55 in Louisville metro vicinity).

For example, I live 3 miles from exit 91 on I-65. If I crave good pizza, I can just as easily be at Mellow Mushroom in BG as I can going to eat at California Pizza Kitchen in the Ville. Maybe 15 minutes difference tops.

Where are those WKY teams hitting 65 at? E'town (circa WK Parkway ending between Exit 91-94)? If so, they could just as easily go south to BG from there. BG exits are in the 20s, E'town's in the 90s. 70 miles ish on a 70 mph road. Granted Louisville is 40 miles north of E'town, but way more traffic and slower speeds (some parts of I-65 drop to 65-60 and maybe even 55 in Louisville metro vicinity).

For example, I live 3 miles from exit 91 on I-65. If I crave good pizza, I can just as easily be at Mellow Mushroom in BG as I can going to eat at California Pizza Kitchen in the Ville. Maybe 15 minutes difference tops.

Well, I decided to go ahead and apply some math to all this. Using Google maps and the twelve teams in the finals I did some calculations of travel time. I used Bowling Green, Louisville, and Lexington as possible destinations since those are the most often discussed.

Average travel time to Bowling Green was 2 hour and 36 minutes. Five trips were over three hours, three of those were over four hours. Bowling Green was the longest possible trip for eight teams (Beechwood, Pikeville, NCC, Lex Cath, Belfry, JC, Male, and Lafayette) and the shortest possible for three teams (Mayfield, BG and SW).

Average travel time to Louisville was 2 hours 6 minutes. Four trips were over three hours, zero of those were over four hours. Louisville was the longest possible trip for Pulaski County and the shortest possible trip for Male.

Average travel time to Lexington was 1 hour 48 minutes. One trip was over four hours. Lexington was the longest possible trip for three teams (BG, SW and Mayfield) and the shortest possible trip for eight teams (Beechwood, Pikeville, NCC, Lex Cath, Belfry, JC, Pulaski Co and Lafayette).

So honestly, after looking at the data I'd have to say Lexington is the most logical place to host it. If they could get a sponsorship going there like they have in Bowling Green, I see no reason not to move it.

Anyone who wants a full list of the data I collected can PM me for it.