On a scale of 1-10, rank Stoops' tenure so far

BigVMan23

Why not? I think the two situations are very similar, and Tenn has shown much more vast improvement than KY.

Because the previous coach was still recruiting at a decent level, at least waaay better than Joker. Also, the state of Tenn produces a lot more D1 players than Ky, easier to recruit kids to stay at home, and UT has more football tradition than UK.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Because the previous coach was still recruiting at a decent level, at least waaay better than Joker. Also, the state of Tenn produces a lot more D1 players than Ky, easier to recruit kids to stay at home, and UT has more football tradition than UK.

Ehhh...it could be argued the talent was slightly better than what KY had I guess...but remember, Joker actually BEAT TN, so that kind of throws a monkey wrench into your argument.

In state talent means nothing in this debate. If you are recruiting the best both TN and KY have to go outside their respective states anyway. And per capita there isn't that much more talent in TN. Dooley was also terrible there and the recruiting was starting to be effected as well.

Tradition yes, TN has more...but so? Not sure how that plays into the equation though.

Both teams had traveled very similar courses before their current coaches arrived. Tenn has made many more strides than KY and it has shown head to head.

Ehhh...it could be argued the talent was slightly better than what KY had I guess...but remember, Joker actually BEAT TN, so that kind of throws a monkey wrench into your argument.

In state talent means nothing in this debate. If you are recruiting the best both TN and KY have to go outside their respective states anyway. And per capita there isn't that much more talent in TN. Dooley was also terrible there and the recruiting was starting to be effected as well.

Tradition yes, TN has more...but so? Not sure how that plays into the equation though.

Both teams had traveled very similar courses before their current coaches arrived. Tenn has made many more strides than KY and it has shown head to head.

How does tradition play into it? They have one....and things in place because of it.

The state of Tennessee turned out 118 D1 players last year and KY had 24.

Recruiting rankings

Tenn

2010 9th

2011 14th

2012 20th

2013 24th

2014 7th

2015 4th

Ky

2010 47th

2011 37th

2012 50th

2013 34th

2014 22nd

2015 38th

I'm somewhere in the 4-6 range. I can't rate him higher than 6, because the on-the-field results haven't shown yet. However, I am pleased with his progress off the field (i.e. recruiting). I think he deserves some more time, but some of the on-the-field mistakes are inexcusable.

This

I'd give him a 5. He's right where I thought he should be given the improved facilities/resources that he was given. That being said if they don't make it to a bowl game with the gift wrapped schedule that he was given this season I'd drop him to a 4. The disturbing thing to think about is that UK could legitimately be 0-8 right now--that is how small their margin for error is.

How so?
They were both bottom feeders of the SEC at about the same time their newly head coaches were hired. UT has continually improved and yet here we are again with Kentucky trying to be the best of the worst. You can't help but acknowledge the fact that there is no reason that Tennessee should be this far ahead of Kentucky. It's inexcusable and I think you know that.

UK is in no way deep enough to compete with the elite of the SEC. Think back to when the TB from Richmond committed to Bama. He's 3rd on their depth chart and would have started day 1 at UK. The SEC big boys would have to get into their 3 deep before they'd take a UK lineman ahead of theirs with the possible exception of Toth. Speed? Speed wins those 1:1 matchups. Why are Johnson and Bone not open like they were early? SEC corners are FAST. Safeties are big and FAST.

Going to take time to build that type of depth.

Only took Vandy 3 years to win 11 games in a season before their coach left.

Do you only judge him based off wins and losses? He has improved the "Brand" of UK football tremendously at this point.

With that said over the next year or so, UK needs to show a better product on the field. They can't use the we are young card going into next year IMO.