New football playoff format would pit Louisville schools...

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I will give up trying to get you to respond to my previous points.

Now you bring up mascots, uh,... Ill leave that to the children's section for debate.

OK - I trust your figures are correct that some member of the big 3 you mention are dominant in terms of final game appearances.

Your point on why that matters is .............what?

The example I used elsewhere of Highlands & Cov Cath being #1 and #2 in 3A many many years while in the same district yet the playoffs have not been adjusted for them has it?

We also don't hear them crying about the playoffs - they just go out and play the games.

Woody Jr

EXCELLENT point Woody...:thumb:

While I think there are some intriguing matchups possible it is hard not to think aobut my JR year playing. I played at Lawrence Co. We played Mayfield in the Final 4. We were 40 point underdogs in the paper but only lost 21-18 in a great game.

You talk about a lllllloooooooonnnnnnnnngggg bus trip! LC is on the West Virginia border and Mayfield is on the Missouri border!!!!!! I don't know that there will ever be a longer bus trip for a KY High School football game. I guess the possibility is there again now though.

EXCELLENT point Woody...:thumb:

That is a great point! Lex Cath had to go through Grant Co, Highlands, Cov Cath and Rockcastle just to get a shot at Bowling Green this year! I can tell you right now that Highlands, Cov Cath and Rock were top 6 teams last year in 3A!

In reviewing the rest of the classes, basically I could see any school being mad with this proposal where that school is 1) In a district where there are at least 3 strong or traditionally contending teams; or 2) In a district (any team) that is opposite another district that is vastly inferior. Based upon that, the teams that might appear upset by this might be:

NewCath and Beechwood

Possibly, any team in AA Region 2, District 3 (all 4 playoff teams about equal)

Rock, Bell, and Madison Southern

Frankly, the Lex. 4A teams in Region 4, District 7

Any thoughts?

While I think there are some intriguing matchups possible it is hard not to think aobut my JR year playing. I played at Lawrence Co. We played Mayfield in the Final 4. We were 40 point underdogs in the paper but only lost 21-18 in a great game.
I'll grant you that Lawrence County was an underdog, but by 40 points? Come on ... will it be 50 in 10 more years?

True. Danville or Mayfield waiting in Round 3 could be interesting...

Yes, a true case of region championship being a state title game for us common folk to see who can't make it to the Pizza Box.

Wonder if KHSAA will select neutral sites to play on "at random" beginning with the region final?

Last year, Russell's last regular season game was against Fleming County to decide district champ and final standings. After Russell won, through tie-breakers Fleming wound up fourth. With the new format, the Devils would have turned around and had to play the Panthers again the following week.

Personally though, I don't have a problem with most of this proposal except for the blind draw. If this is going to be the way they go, they should move games to neutral sites after the second round.

In reviewing the rest of the classes, basically I could see any school being mad with this proposal where that school is 1) In a district where there are at least 3 strong or traditionally contending teams; or 2) In a district (any team) that is opposite another district that is vastly inferior. Based upon that, the teams that might appear upset by this might be:

NewCath and Beechwood

Possibly, any team in AA Region 2, District 3 (all 4 playoff teams about equal)

Rock, Bell, and Madison Southern

Frankly, the Lex. 4A teams in Region 4, District 7

Any thoughts?

I had been using the CCH/FtTh example but agree that 3A has some other power matchups as well. Rock should be the #1 3A team IMO and Bell is customarily a power, Mad So was good last yr BUT as an Ashland fan I wish to point out that Rock was dare I say "lucky" to get by our #4 team Mason Co last yr. Ashland & Johnson Central are definiitely not dropping off and Mason will be much better as well. It doesnt matter who we play or when, for us 3A is just tough all the way around on this side of the state (no offense to BG, Hop & the rest)

Woody Jr

I'll grant you that Lawrence County was an underdog, but by 40 points? Come on ... will it be 50 in 10 more years?

If I remember correctly, LC was the fourth seed out of their district that year. And yes, they were HUGE underdogs...not sure of the spread, but I believe it was well in the ballpark of 40...