New football playoff format would pit Louisville schools...

Just put all you guys in that little circle in a Louisville region and let one team come out.

Woody Jr

They had it that way before the non Jefferson Co schools complained and got what we had. I'm sure in 15 years they'll be looking to "even the playingfield" again...

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dragon....can you be commissioner? This makes much more sense!

And really, that's what irritates me the most, that there are no longer any region titles. If they wanted to do this, a less radical solution would have been:

A) First two rounds - Intra-district as it is now

B) Third round - Region championship matching the two districts in their respective regions

C) A rotating matchup of the region winners in semi-state. Region 1 vs. Region 4 & Region 2 vs. Region 3. This accomplishes the same thing as District 4 vs. District 5 does in 4A.

IMO, it makes much more sense this way than having the district winners rotate. THIS scenario keeps teams closer for longer, as teams in their own regions are not as far apart. This isolates the extreme travel distance (Region 1 vs. Region 4) to only one year out of three.

Louisville should consider themselves lucky that theyve had it this way so long. Just put all you guys in that little circle in a Louisville region and let one team come out.

Please:rolleyes: , it doesn't really matter where they are placed a Louisville team will still win it. However, it doesn't make sense to change to a system that is less balanced than it already is.

This 4A Louisville football fan likes this better than a public/private split which is unfair on so many levels.QUOTE]

I agree 100%. This is better. The people complaining were asking for the split 2 months ago! Now they are saying "you will not get the best 2 on the field." Neither would the split!

I am simply responding to exactly what you post. If you want to consider it a childish game to "play" - be my guest, but you'll play alone.

You discussed how dominant the Big 3 are and how unfair this is, so I posted the early round losses they have in the past few years.

Then it was suggested that they were "a little down" those years, so I posted that they were all #1 or #2 seeds when they lost early.

Now you start discussing who made it to the finals over the years. It's hard to determine what your point(s) are when you change the discussion.

When you listed several points in post #1 I did my best to respond to them in my post #18. I'm not sure if you agreed with my responses, just didnt see it, or have no response.

Again, you aren't getting the big picture.

So what if Trinity was the #1 seed in their district and lost? How often AREN'T they a number one seed? The Big 3 play at such a higher level, that they can be down compared to their usual level, and still be the runaway best teams in their district. Or, if Male isn't that great, X and Trinity are. Playing them three or four games in a row, and winning, would be the hardest path to a semi-state that any school in Kentucky has ever faced. I don't think it could be done. If you disagree, well, you already said you didn't follow 4A, didn't you?

I think when three teams own 15 of the past 18 slots to play in the state finals, that makes them dominant. That's why I brought it up, because you seem to think that the Big 3 got their nickname because of the size of their mascots.

The Big 3 are dominant on the LONG view as a whole. If you think they aren't, and the stats I provided didn't convince you, then there's nothing else to say on the subject.

They had it that way before the non Jefferson Co schools complained and got what we had. I'm sure in 15 years they'll be looking to "even the playingfield" again...

gt,

I'm aware of how it was. I was there when the At-Large set up was going on.

I don't know whats fair or not fair to particular teams - the goal should be to make it the fair for the state as a whole as best we can.

I just find it silly that schools with supporters who usually spend most of their time bragging about their team now are so concerned.

If one of these big guys now plays the other in the finals after going through Team A and Team B first. How much harder or unfair is it for them to play each other in the 2nd round (or whenever it is earlier) and then play Team A and Team B. It seems they should be good enough to win the games in any order - especially as dominant as they appear.

Woody Jr

Do you not notice there aren't many from H, T and X up in arms? They now get to keep a bigger slice of the playoff pie by playing earlier in front of a huge crowd. It's the rest of Louisville that's in trouble...

Do you not notice there aren't many from H, T and X up in arms? They now get to keep a bigger slice of the playoff pie by playing earlier in front of a huge crowd. It's the rest of Louisville that's in trouble...
:thumb: Thats what the Woodster isn't getting. He doesn't seem to think there's too much difference for the Louisville teams to potentially play the Big 3 three or four weeks in a row, even if they'e 'rewarded' for finishing 2nd in the district...:rolleyes:

Again, you aren't getting the big picture.

So what if Trinity was the #1 seed in their district and lost? How often AREN'T they a number one seed? The Big 3 play at such a higher level, that they can be down compared to their usual level, and still be the runaway best teams in their district. Or, if Male isn't that great, X and Trinity are. Playing them three or four games in a row, and winning, would be the hardest path to a semi-state that any school in Kentucky has ever faced. I don't think it could be done. If you disagree, well, you already said you didn't follow 4A, didn't you?

I think when three teams own 15 of the past 18 slots to play in the state finals, that makes them dominant. That's why I brought it up, because you seem to think that the Big 3 got their nickname because of the size of their mascots.

The Big 3 are dominant on the LONG view as a whole. If you think they aren't, and the stats I provided didn't convince you, then there's nothing else to say on the subject.

OK I will give up trying to get you to respond to my previous points.

Now you bring up mascots, uh,... Ill leave that to the children's section for debate.

OK - I trust your figures are correct that some member of the big 3 you mention are dominant in terms of final game appearances.

Your point on why that matters is .............what?

The example I used elsewhere of Highlands & Cov Cath being #1 and #2 in 3A many many years while in the same district yet the playoffs have not been adjusted for them has it?

We also don't hear them crying about the playoffs - they just go out and play the games.

Woody Jr

Hey I realize everyone is talking about the big 3 - lets be serious - there is Trinity and then there is the rest - 4 out of the last 5 GO ROCKS - We just want to play we don't care what the format is - I will tell you this though - it is much sweeter beating X in the Finals.

:thumb: Thats what the Woodster isn't getting. He doesn't seem to think there's too much difference for the Louisville teams to potentially play the Big 3 three or four weeks in a row, even if they'e 'rewarded' for finishing 2nd in the district...:rolleyes:

Well you guys moved to that metropolis. Why can't you play with the teams that are all within what 25 miles of each other?

Sounds fair to me :thumb:

Woody Jr

Hey I realize everyone is talking about the big 3 - lets be serious - there is Trinity and then there is the rest - 4 out of the last 5 GO ROCKS - We just want to play we don't care what the format is - I will tell you this though - it is much sweeter beating X in the Finals.
Keep telling yourself that, but Trinity is NOT head and shoulders above St X and Male.

Please:rolleyes: , it doesn't really matter where they are placed a Louisville team will still win it. However, it doesn't make sense to change to a system that is less balanced than it already is.

Less balanced for who? Louisville 4-A? 2 out of 8 districts? You still have to beat'em all!

How about in 07 when the new draw comes and it isn't the 2 Louisville districts paired up?