New football playoff format would pit Louisville schools...

Exactly. I was making a statement to the effect:

"We don't need you to say you don't follow 4A, because your comments make that obvious on their face."

Since you feel the need to get smart about it....

The ego of some Louisville area fans makes it hard to imagine football exists outside their little world I guess.

Woody Jr

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just looking at Class A for a second

I know first-round matchups in many cases are blowouts and they will always be like that with four teams from each district that's fine.

But I like different blowouts. Danville beat Carroll County 63-0 last year and now will have to play Carroll County again in the first round playoff opener.

Might cut down on travel expenses in some cases but hey it will also cut down on gate recipts in certain cases like this also. Who wants to go see a 63-0 blowout you just saw two weeks before?

I don't even know how to reply to that. :creepy:

Do you not think it would be hard and injuries affect Trinty and X as much as any other school? We do have large numbers, but it's not as if injuries to key players wouldn't be just as detrimental to our chances of success.

I can't believe you'd try to imply (OK, not imply....flat out say...) that some how the Catholic schools were able to engineer this. :irked:

I am not implying anything illict or covert. Please understand I am not saying that this was an evil master plan, on the contrary I think the KHSAA is fully to blame not the Catholic schools, but the EFFECT is that dispite the public school vote the exact opposite has taken place. In my view this happened as a reaction of the KHSAA to stop the split from happening, by splitting the common interest of the public schools, the effect in my view gives the Catholic Schools with more reserves of players and more numbers of boys to draw from an UNINTENIONAL, and slight advantage. I am NOT saying this was plot by the Catholic schools, though the effect is the same, they are taking the publics to the woodshed.

And yes I do think that injuries hit a team like Butler harder than a team like St. X due to numbers of player and talent of depth, I think there is a greater drop off in depth in High School public schools than private schools.

It seems to me the only people upset are the 4A people in Louisville. I don't see many people in 1A and 2A downtalking this proposal.

This 4A Louisville football fan likes this better than a public/private split which is unfair on so many levels.

I see this as a less than ideal set-up, but concede that it may work, only time will tell.

From a fan's perspective it stinks. I worry about what it does to football in Kentucky, from the view of participation and further discontent.

But when it all comes down to it...play one game at a time...and keep working toward the goal...the Championship.

As my son's T-shirt says (courtesy of Trinity football), "Success is never final".

It seems to me the only people upset are the 4A people in Louisville. I don't see many people in 1A and 2A downtalking this proposal.
Right because Louisville 4A are the ones getting the shaft upfront, though all 4A will in the end. That is the reason they passed this, by making this a Louisville problem, the rest of the state will not support a prop 20 ever again. It really is quite clever of the KHSAA to get what they want by only making this hurt Louisville 4A schools the rest of the state will go along with what ever they want.

Obviuously you don't follow 4A, because in 2 of those years, it was still a 2 Louisville team final in 4A. So it is a big difference, even when one of the Big 3 is a little down.

Went back to the KHSAA site:

In 2005 Male lost their 2nd game as a #2 seed

In 2004 Male lost their 2nd game as a #2 seed

In 2004 Trinity lost their #2 game as a #1 seed

In 2003 Male lost their 3rd game to StX as a #2 seed after just beating Meade by 1 pt

Perhaps you have a different understanding, but in your post you seem to be suggesting these were down years for your Big 3 :confused:

Or maybe because they got beat you want to now say after the fact they were down years :lol:

The point being that the crying heard out of Louisville is that these 3 are the top teams every year and it's just not fair to make it so hard on them:sleep:

Woody Jr

BOOOO!

I don't like it at all...

the 2 best teams won't always end up playing in the final and at this point I think that they do about 80% of the time...

Come on guy,

YOu mean you only go watch & support the 4A game?

Woody Jr

I'm all for this new system. It looks like we won't have to travel (this year was our year to travel, but not now). I'm also for X and T getting the $ from two games a year. I figure most years the Rocks would have to defeat Male or X to win the championship, so I figure if you are good enough to beat either you should be good enough to beat both. Anyway, if you survive that gauntlet the championship game should be a breeze.

Since you feel the need to get smart about it....

The ego of some Louisville area fans makes it hard to imagine football exists outside their little world I guess.

Woody Jr

This skewers Louisville 4A outside of 3 schools. It's a big change, and in my opinion one that makes the playing field significantly less even for about a quarter of 4A. Teams in region 2 were already facing a pretty good up hill battle, but at least it was spread out over a few weeks and more teams. Now some teams are going to be presented with a row almost twice as hard to hoe (going from 3 possible games against the Big 3 spread out over 5 weeks of the playoffs to 3 or 4 games in a row against the domninat schools.)

It's an unfair burden, just because the rest of the state is soooo scared of the Big 3 boogey man the Louisville schools are offered up as the sacrificial lamb. No team in this state can beat them three or four weeks in a row and be in shape to play a Semi-State game. No team. And before you make the comment about "So what, they're just the third or fourth place team," well, the situation stays the same if they're the second place team, doesn't it?

I am not implying anything illict or covert. Please understand I am not saying that this was an evil master plan, on the contrary I think the KHSAA is fully to blame not the Catholic schools, but the EFFECT is that dispite the public school vote the exact opposite has taken place. In my view this happened as a reaction of the KHSAA to stop the split from happening, by splitting the common interest of the public schools, the effect in my view gives the Catholic Schools with more reserves of players and more numbers of boys to draw from an UNINTENIONAL, and slight advantage. I am NOT saying this was plot by the Catholic schools, though the effect is the same, they are taking the publics to the woodshed.

And yes I do think that injuries hit a team like Butler harder than a team like St. X due to numbers of player and talent of depth, I think there is a greater drop off in depth in High School public schools than private schools.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. Your comments probably didn't read as they would have sounded spoken.

I don't see this being any significant advantage to private schools as a whole. Possibly, if you look only at 4A, it may seem that way. But the smaller classes do not have as significant a disparity in numbers as Trinity and X. There's simply no way to argue that. Unfortunately, unless public schools are willing to find a way to effectively educate (which is the primary responsibility of a school) larger numbers under one roof, Trinity and X will always have a huge numbers advantage.

Couple the above with the INTEREST in football by their student populations, T & X have a distinct advantage in football. But, on the flip side, look what happens when you examine their success in basketball.

Right because Louisville 4A are the ones getting the shaft upfront, though all 4A will in the end. That is the reason they passed this, by making this a Louisville problem, the rest of the state will not support a prop 20 ever again. It really is quite clever of the KHSAA to get what they want by only making this hurt Louisville 4A schools the rest of the state will go along with what ever they want.

So why aren't the Newport Catholic, Lexington Catholic, or Owensboro Catholic on here complaining? They were going to be affected by prop 20 and this new system affects them also. I think the Louisville schools are upset because their once easy road to the 4-A finals just became a little bumpier.

In 2003 Male lost their 3rd game to StX as a #2 seed after just beating Meade by 1 pt

Perhaps you have a different understanding, but in your post you seem to be suggesting these were down years for your Big 3 :confused:

Or maybe because they got beat you want to now say after the fact they were down years :lol:

The point being that the crying heard out of Louisville is that these 3 are the top teams every year and it's just not fair to make it so hard on them:sleep:

Woody Jr

No offense but I don't think you understand the situation clearly. To us this is like having the top three teams in the NFL playing and eliminating themselves before the AFC championship game. There is no chance for the weeks of extra practice to develop the younger players, and the odds of surviving after that meat grinder are going to drop alot. View it as crying if you like but this is a horrid way to have a meaning full championship, and what they are doing is piggy backing a hate for Louisville on to high school sports to split the public schools politically.

Woody Jr

In 2005: Trinity beat X for the title in a competitve game

2004: X beat Scott County

2003: Trinity beat X

I think you're missing the point. It was a down period for Male, not the Big 3 in general. X, T, and Male have won the 4A title for the past 9 years... and in that period accounted for 15 of the 18 finalist slots. In other words, there has only been THREE TIMES in the past nine years that a single school not named St. X, Trinity, or Male even made the finals. Only ONCE in the history of 4A since the 80's has none of those three teams made it to the finals, and only TWICE has any other school claimed the 4A championship.

Want to play again?!