New football playoff format would pit Louisville schools...

I don't understand how this will make Trinity and X MUCH stronger.... :confused:

Are you saying participation in Louisville 4A public schools will diminish?

Yes because before there was a good chance that Male, Butler, PRP, Ballard or Manual was going to have a realistic shot at a good playoff run most years. Now that is diminished and the best players are really going to try to go to the schools that have the best shot. And when your school is looked at as not having a chance to win there is less interest at the school level to join the team even in a supporting role, thus it will be harder to field DEPTH the very thing that will be needed for a long playoff run. I really do think you will see that St. X and Trinity will DOMINATE this system. I am not calling anyone cheats here I am just saying I think that football interest in Louisville is going to take a dive outside of those two schools.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my first post, and from the outside looking in I can see where people are upset on both sides of the fence. The KHSAA will never please all the people (seriously, who can?) all the time but they must try to please the majority since the majority was overlooked when the split was voted (this does not mean I am or am not in favor of the split).

When looking at the big four (assuming Manual is the 4th of the bigs) you guys already play two of the powers in district play, and the "injury" factor hasn't been a complaint before, so playing Trinity with the pass oriented game really shouldn't beat you guys up too bad (no slight intended, but T isn't exactly known for lineing up and running the split back veer). I don't think this will hurt anyone too much.

*I will also note that in the St. X district/region, the higer seed hasn't always won (Manual vs. Nelson Co. a couple years ago is one I can think of right off hand because I was there to see that one, I am sure someone else can point out many other instances) so we can't go and assume that the schools outside of Louisville can't play with the public Louisville schools.

I think this really helps the smaller schools, which generally pull less gate in regular season then the Louisville schools, in keeping travel expenses low for the playoffs. Many teams now travel 3.5 or more hours to play the one seed in the opposite region. I think this will also increase the rivalry aspect from within ones own district with the stakes being football life or death in the playoffs. This should financially help all involved, even the Louisville schools.

When regions were reconfigured to put Trinity opposite X this benefited the privates more than this move. So to assume that this was set up for the privates to run the table seems to be rediculous. If anything I think this hurts them a little more, but not due to numbers. Argue all you want but the fall off from the 1st string isn't near as tough on the privates as it is the publics. I think this hurts them more mentally. The games against Male, X, T, Manual, PRP are very mentally taxing and might possibly hurt them going into the carpet when the opponent, as has been pointed out, is not considered up to par.

Just a few thoughts from someone looking in.

That's a pretty darned good 1st post, Darkhorse! Welcome to the site!

I'm not going to argue the injury issue. I know it's not as significant, physically. But you mention the mental aspect, and that IS where there is some parity. If your first string is banged up and on the sidelines, a teams like Trinity and X still face the same issue of playing players who've had little significant playing time.

I could see how this could actually help T & X, though. 2nd and even 3rd stringers could see more playing time, as theoretically, they'd need to be "seasoned" during the regular season to endure the rigors of such a post season. I realize that our 2nd and 3rd stringers have the advantage of the way we're able to practice basically full squads vs. full squads. But there's a difference between practice and game situations.

Good points to ponder, Darkhorse...

This is my first post, and from the outside looking in I can see where people are upset on both sides of the fence. The KHSAA will never please all the people (seriously, who can?) all the time but they must try to please the majority since the majority was overlooked when the split was voted (this does not mean I am or am not in favor of the split).

When looking at the big four (assuming Manual is the 4th of the bigs) you guys already play two of the powers in district play, and the "injury" factor hasn't been a complaint before, so playing Trinity with the pass oriented game really shouldn't beat you guys up too bad (no slight intended, but T isn't exactly known for lineing up and running the split back veer). I don't think this will hurt anyone too much.

*I will also note that in the St. X district/region, the higer seed hasn't always won (Manual vs. Nelson Co. a couple years ago is one I can think of right off hand because I was there to see that one, I am sure someone else can point out many other instances) so we can't go and assume that the schools outside of Louisville can't play with the public Louisville schools.

I think this really helps the smaller schools, which generally pull less gate in regular season then the Louisville schools, in keeping travel expenses low for the playoffs. Many teams now travel 3.5 or more hours to play the one seed in the opposite region. I think this will also increase the rivalry aspect from within ones own district with the stakes being football life or death in the playoffs. This should financially help all involved, even the Louisville schools.

When regions were reconfigured to put Trinity opposite X this benefited the privates more than this move. So to assume that this was set up for the privates to run the table seems to be rediculous. If anything I think this hurts them a little more, but not due to numbers. Argue all you want but the fall off from the 1st string isn't near as tough on the privates as it is the publics. I think this hurts them more mentally. The games against Male, X, T, Manual, PRP are very mentally taxing and might possibly hurt them going into the carpet when the opponent, as has been pointed out, is not considered up to par.

Just a few thoughts from someone looking in.

Nelson Co. is not in that District though, and they were the higher seeded team that game, that is why it was played in Nelson Co. and not at Manual.

They aren't going to be split from the publics, which helps them.

I see.

In an ironic twist this helps LexCath's football team as they no longer have to beat CovCath/Highlands back to back to get out of the Regional play.

You will probably see no #4 seeds beat 1 seeds now and you will probably see a few games round 1 were teams played the week before. It will make for a very dull 1st round because I think all the districts wanted to see how they stack up against the other district in their region.

Drawing for round 3 makes alot more sence to me than playing your district 1st 2 rounds.

:thumb: It's the NON-POWERHOUSE schools in Louisville that now have virtually no shot at a title. Even a regional title.

And really, that's what irritates me the most, that there are no longer any region titles. If they wanted to do this, a less radical solution would have been:

A) First two rounds - Intra-district as it is now

B) Third round - Region championship matching the two districts in their respective regions

C) A rotating matchup of the region winners in semi-state. Region 1 vs. Region 4 & Region 2 vs. Region 3. This accomplishes the same thing as District 4 vs. District 5 does in 4A.

IMO, it makes much more sense this way than having the district winners rotate. THIS scenario keeps teams closer for longer, as teams in their own regions are not as far apart. This isolates the extreme travel distance (Region 1 vs. Region 4) to only one year out of three.

You will probably see no #4 seeds beat 1 seeds now and you will probably see a few games round 1 were teams played the week before. It will make for a very dull 1st round because I think all the districts wanted to see how they stack up against the other district in their region.

Drawing for round 3 makes alot more sence to me than playing your district 1st 2 rounds.

Sorry, I would think seeing a 4 seed beat a 1 would make for exciting first rounds rather than dull ones. But that is just my opinion. If you are a big fan of your district (as many of the fans are) I would think it would be more exciting especially if you don't have to drive a ridiculous distance to see it. That's where first rounds kill many gates and athletic budgets in smaller schools.

In 2005: Trinity beat X for the title in a competitve game

2004: X beat Scott County

2003: Trinity beat X

I think you're missing the point. It was a down period for Male, not the Big 3 in general. X, T, and Male have won the 4A title for the past 9 years... and in that period accounted for 15 of the 18 finalist slots. In other words, there has only been THREE TIMES in the past nine years that a single school not named St. X, Trinity, or Male even made the finals. Only ONCE in the history of 4A since the 80's has none of those three teams made it to the finals, and only TWICE has any other school claimed the 4A championship.

Want to play again?!

I am simply responding to exactly what you post. If you want to consider it a childish game to "play" - be my guest, but you'll play alone.

You discussed how dominant the Big 3 are and how unfair this is, so I posted the early round losses they have in the past few years.

Then it was suggested that they were "a little down" those years, so I posted that they were all #1 or #2 seeds when they lost early.

Now you start discussing who made it to the finals over the years. It's hard to determine what your point(s) are when you change the discussion.

When you listed several points in post #1 I did my best to respond to them in my post #18. I'm not sure if you agreed with my responses, just didnt see it, or have no response.

I just feel that if these guys are so good, and they certainly have been dominant, why is anyone complaining because they won't meet in the finals.

Again, So what? You guys have to be smart enough to know that the 2 best teams most likely NEVER meet in any other class most every year. It's just not logical to assume that the 2 best teams are automatically situated in opposite halfs of the state. It just isnt sensible (unless someone can produce a logarithm to prove it).

To design a playoff system in advance to ensure what you "think" are the 2 best teams is arrogant IMO. The state should use a random system with no regard to team strengths. Highlands & Cov Cath are in the same district and there are many years they could be #1 & #2. Im sure others could argue other cases as well. But we dont change those districts based on their strength DO WE. Louisville should consider themselves lucky that theyve had it this way so long. Just put all you guys in that little circle in a Louisville region and let one team come out.

Woody Jr

Sorry, I would think seeing a 4 seed beat a 1 would make for exciting first rounds rather than dull ones. But that is just my opinion. If you are a big fan of your district (as many of the fans are) I would think it would be more exciting especially if you don't have to drive a ridiculous distance to see it. That's where first rounds kill many gates and athletic budgets in smaller schools.

I think I said you would see NO 4 seeds win 1st round. If you as a 4 seed got beat bu the 1 seed in our district by 50 points It could possible hurt gate also.I just like the idea of playing the other district.

I think his point is that this simply won't happen. Before, if your district was so much better than the opposing districts the odds of a 4 beating a 1 were more likely. With in-district play it will have already been made clear that a 1 is superior to a 4 and the odds of upset (by terms of seeding) are less likely.

I think his point is that this simply won't happen. Before, if your district was so much better than the opposing districts the odds of a 4 beating a 1 were more likely. With in-district play it will have already been made clear that a 1 is superior to a 4 and the odds of upset (by terms of seeding) are less likely.

Although it could happen in several districts. Case in point, the Region 1 championship was between the #1 & #4 teams from district 1, and the game was won on a last second field goal. Highly conceivable an upset could happen. But in the vast majority of districts, forget it.