New football playoff format would pit Louisville schools...

My only problem with this is that the "blind draw" already happened. I mean come on. Why was this not announced before hand? What are the odds that this would happen on the first draw? This does not pass the sniff test.

Also, how is it determined where game #4 is played at? I'm guessing it will not be at any Louisville school due to another “blind draw”.

But in the end, all you have to do is win.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only problem with this is that the "blind draw" already happened. I mean come on. Why was this not announced before hand? What are the odds that this would happen on the first draw? This does not pass the sniff test.

Also, how is it determined where game #4 is played at? I'm guessing it will not be at any Louisville school due to another “blind draw”.

But in the end, all you have to do is win.

Don't let paranoia destroya. Why would you not just play the fourth round at the highest seed left in the game just like you do the third round now? It could work. If they are the same, KHSAA has some language on odd vs. even that you be used. The Board has been looking at things to CHANGE the playoff system. Whether it is number of classes, bracketing, changing things up, etc. The complaints they talked about publicly were all about the status quo, and now we want to object to the change? i would think that as much as they have talked about their football system lately, that just getting some change passed was important.

Here are some negatives to hear:

1) Less reward for finishing well, particularly in tough districts. Especially R2D4 in 4A, most years.

2) Stale matchups. (Not to mention wounding regular season district play)

3) In 4A, for the immediate future, it certainly lowers the chances of the two most deserving teams meeting in the finals.

Those are the big ones, in my opinion. Not to mention that the travel costs are only defrayed in the first two rounds... after that, they actually will probably be worse for the teams that advance. Like when R1D1 eventually draws R4D8

Okey Dokey no since stacking up posts just to get to the heart of the matter:thumb:

#1 - perhaps so, but to a very minor degree it seems to me. Aren't the percentages extremely high for #1/#2 seeds to advance in the first round anyway? Who cares if there are a couple districts a year with strong 3 or 4 seeds. They didnt use to even get in the playoffs - now we're concerned enough about their chance to advance that it effects the format?

Besides, as it has been till now if a strong #3 team wins, don't they have to play their own district #1 team in the 2nd game?

#2 - Fair enough point about "staleness" but "wounding regular season play" seems a little dramatic. I'd probably enjoy playing a different team but as we have been doing it (if favorites win) the #1 in a district now faces the opposite district #1 in the third (3rd) game. With the new setup your #1 seed would face a #1 seed from another district in again the 3rd game. As above, those with a particular focus on lower seeds winning need to realize that only matches them up against their own district opponent sooner I believe.

#3 - If it's that cut & dried then we may as well have a super class OR go back to the State @ Large vs. Louisville format. Simply having any format like the current one of basically east vs west automatically promises (not just lessens) the 2 best teams will NOT meet in the final game - unless you truely believe that in every class, every year, the 2 best teams are located in opposite ends of the state. I DONT think so.

Besides, most of us don't care about the 2 teams I sense you are referring to - we are looking at the overall state.

Just my view at present, I retain the right to change my mind:D

Woody Jr

The "non-Louisville" 4-A schools will like it! Especially those who have been matched up in their region. No one gets banned...no one gets kicked out. You still have to "beat'em all." Now the districts that have been opposite the Louisville 4-A districts just have to be better one time on one night to get to the show. This will change a lot of attitudes. There will be fewer people calling for the split. Good move KHSAA.

Nice point :ylsuper:

Woody Jr

If that's the attitude, I would actually prefer a return to "Louisville against the State."

Why? Is there something I'm missing?

The districts will not change. There will be 8 4-A district play-off champs to advance to the 3rd round. In the 3rd round there is a blind draw to determine which district plays who..one of eight teams in a regional champ game. Is that right? So, in theory there could still be an all Louisville final, but there could be an all Louisville regional champ as well? I am a 4-A fan that doesn't like the idea of a split. I like the concept of beating the best to get the ring. This concept will allow the chance for the non-Louisville schools to only have to beat one of'em in the dance in December. This will also get the non-louisville 4-A schools to cool off some about a split. Smile...be happy that the split didn't happen. This concept doesn't sacrifice the "you have to beat'em all" mentally...unlike the split.

Yeah what this does is basically makes the Catholic school powers beat up on Louisville schools, this way the county schools will never support a prop 20 like measure again. It makes it so the Louisville schools are guaranteed a slot and the non Louisville schools are guaranteed a spot which only benifits the non-Louisville schools in saying that they went farther in the playoffs only to lose to a Louisville school in the Championships every year. Basically a win for St. X and Trinity because it is a divide and conquer strategy. The County schools will be too happy to care that they are basically cutting their own throats in the long term. No Louisville teams means no Louisville gate.

Yes!

You play in the district 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 the first week and the winners meet the second week.

Then the draw kicks in for the third round......all classes

So in the third round in 3A, if Ashland won District 7 they could be paired up with District 1 winner, Paducah Tilghman. That's no short drive.

Wow! I just thought of something else.

OK, this year under this format think about Class 4-A, District Four

Say St. X wins and Male second (could be either way I guess but this is hypothetical.......)

The next seed from Manual, Butler, PRP - holy smokes they would have to play Male, St. X and then likely Trinity

And that would just get them to the semifinals!!!!!

So in the third round in 3A, if Ashland won District 7 they could be paired up with District 1 winner, Paducah Tilghman. That's no short drive.

No problem. The last time we played them we chartered a plane to Palooka

Woody Jr

Yes, they could be depending on the draw. Think about Class A when Mayfield would maybe have to travel to Paintsville! Now that's cutting down on travel....

While not "ideal" (and realistically, what is), this is better than a split of private and public post season play. I don't think it will keep THE best team out of the final. But, it will keep the 2nd best team out, most likely. At least it's an attempt at "leveling the playing field" in a way that could prove that it's not about private and public, but about population, support and other factors than financial aid.

Just my two cents.

Wow! I just thought of something else.

OK, this year under this format think about Class 4-A, District Four

Say St. X wins and Male second (could be either way I guess but this is hypothetical.......)

The next seed from Manual, Butler, PRP - holy smokes they would have to play Male, St. X and then likely Trinity

And that would just get them to the semifinals!!!!!

Yeap and look at it this way, the last few years St.X Trinity Male and Manual have been consistantly in the top ten teams, so how exactly is the Championship game worth anything if the best teams play in the first three games?