New football playoff format would pit Louisville schools...

I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. Your comments probably didn't read as they would have sounded spoken.

I don't see this being any significant advantage to private schools as a whole. Possibly, if you look only at 4A, it may seem that way. But the smaller classes do not have as significant a disparity in numbers as Trinity and X. There's simply no way to argue that. Unfortunately, unless public schools are willing to find a way to effectively educate (which is the primary responsibility of a school) larger numbers under one roof, Trinity and X will always have a huge numbers advantage.

Couple the above with the INTEREST in football by their student populations, T & X have a distinct advantage in football. But, on the flip side, look what happens when you examine their success in basketball.

Right which is what this is about, by removing Trinity and St. X from the eqaution there will not be support from the state public schools for a split. They are now a Louisville 4A publics schools issue and not a state 4A issue and as such the rest fo the state could care less and probably smile about how we are getting the shaft. It will not effect NCC and Lex Cath as much and so now the KHSAA is safe from the split. But I think overall this will make St. X and Trinity MUCH stronger teams and the rest of 4A and Louisville much weaker, and in the long run that will hurt competition and weaken all 4 A football in the state. That is my take.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So why aren't the Newport Catholic, Lexington Catholic, or Owensboro Catholic on here complaining? They were going to be affected by prop 20 and this new system affects them also. I think the Louisville schools are upset because their once easy road to the 4-A finals just became a little bumpier.
Easy road?

Now we are just being silly. The road isn't any easier, it just makes less sense with a more unbalanced bracket.

So why aren't the Newport Catholic, Lexington Catholic, or Owensboro Catholic on here complaining? They were going to be affected by prop 20 and this new system affects them also. I think the Louisville schools are upset because their once easy road to the 4-A finals just became a little bumpier.
Those schools should be praising this because it helps them, but not nearly as much as it effects 4A ball.

Whats funny is I don't see any Male or Trinity fans whining about this, because they know they are more than likely the best team in the state, and they are going to continue their domination.
Right they are the winners in this. (Actually Male is not as much as St. X and Trinity)

And I don't want to seem like I am crying, my eyes are dry folks, the end result for my team is really not changed too much except we are likely to lose an extra week of practice time each year. I just think it was a brilliant political manuvauer and that everyone will fall for it.

Right they are the winners in this. (Actually Male is not as much as St. X and Trinity)
:thumb: It's the NON-POWERHOUSE schools in Louisville that now have virtually no shot at a title. Even a regional title.

Right which is what this is about, by removing Trinity and St. X from the eqaution there will not be support from the state public schools for a split. They are now a Louisville 4A publics schools issue and not a state 4A issue and as such the rest fo the state could care less and probably smile about how we are getting the shaft. It will not effect NCC and Lex Cath as much and so now the KHSAA is safe from the split. But I think overall this will make St. X and Trinity MUCH stronger teams and the rest of 4A and Louisville much weaker, and in the long run that will hurt competition and weaken all 4 A football in the state. That is my take.

I don't understand how this will make Trinity and X MUCH stronger.... :confused:

Are you saying participation in Louisville 4A public schools will diminish?

Let's not forget the Big Three have won 16 of the past 18 4-A titles.

And I believe in seven of those years the runner-up has been - a member of the Big Three.

Oh yeah, and only twice since 1984 has one of the Big Three not been involved in the 4-A final. So, I would say those three are the top 4-A teams in the state EVERY year.

Went back to the KHSAA site:

In 2005 Male lost their 2nd game as a #2 seed

In 2004 Male lost their 2nd game as a #2 seed

In 2004 Trinity lost their #2 game as a #1 seed

In 2003 Male lost their 3rd game to StX as a #2 seed after just beating Meade by 1 pt

Perhaps you have a different understanding, but in your post you seem to be suggesting these were down years for your Big 3 :confused:

Or maybe because they got beat you want to now say after the fact they were down years :lol:

The point being that the crying heard out of Louisville is that these 3 are the top teams every year and it's just not fair to make it so hard on them:sleep:

Woody Jr

The only thing I would say about that is that a Trinity-X game twice a year will help both of those school's already beefy budget. Remember, the state gets 0 money from games prior to the title game.

Anyone remember what the admission is for a playoff game? Let's just say $6 - and they will get 20,000 easy for a third-round playoff game. That's more than $100,000 right there form one game and you know the draw would be more than 20,000.

I don't understand how this will make Trinity and X MUCH stronger.... :confused:

Are you saying participation in Louisville 4A public schools will diminish?

I will say something lost in the discussion on here - at least as I understand it from what I have read and heard on radio - is this is only for one year???

I don't understand that. Why do it for one year when you might go to six classes next year and change everything. That doesn't seem fair. Either wait to do it or wait until all eight districts can be matched up against one another and play out the rotation before making other changes.

The only thing I would say about that is that a Trinity-X game twice a year will help both of those school's already beefy budget. Remember, the state gets 0 money from games prior to the title game.

OOOOooooo! I didn't think of that! :eek:

Well, I'm game....tailgating anyone? :D

I will say something lost in the discussion on here - at least as I understand it from what I have read and heard on radio - is this is only for one year???

I don't understand that. Why do it for one year when you might go to six classes next year and change everything. That doesn't seem fair. Either wait to do it or wait until all eight districts can be matched up against one another and play out the rotation before making other changes.

I'd say it's a stop-gap to buy time until a (possible) better solution can be found.

This is my first post, and from the outside looking in I can see where people are upset on both sides of the fence. The KHSAA will never please all the people (seriously, who can?) all the time but they must try to please the majority since the majority was overlooked when the split was voted (this does not mean I am or am not in favor of the split).

When looking at the big four (assuming Manual is the 4th of the bigs) you guys already play two of the powers in district play, and the "injury" factor hasn't been a complaint before, so playing Trinity with the pass oriented game really shouldn't beat you guys up too bad (no slight intended, but T isn't exactly known for lineing up and running the split back veer). I don't think this will hurt anyone too much.

*I will also note that in the St. X district/region, the higer seed hasn't always won (Manual vs. Nelson Co. a couple years ago is one I can think of right off hand because I was there to see that one, I am sure someone else can point out many other instances) so we can't go and assume that the schools outside of Louisville can't play with the public Louisville schools.

I think this really helps the smaller schools, which generally pull less gate in regular season then the Louisville schools, in keeping travel expenses low for the playoffs. Many teams now travel 3.5 or more hours to play the one seed in the opposite region. I think this will also increase the rivalry aspect from within ones own district with the stakes being football life or death in the playoffs. This should financially help all involved, even the Louisville schools.

When regions were reconfigured to put Trinity opposite X this benefited the privates more than this move. So to assume that this was set up for the privates to run the table seems to be rediculous. If anything I think this hurts them a little more, but not due to numbers. Argue all you want but the fall off from the 1st string isn't near as tough on the privates as it is the publics. I think this hurts them more mentally. The games against Male, X, T, Manual, PRP are very mentally taxing and might possibly hurt them going into the carpet when the opponent, as has been pointed out, is not considered up to par.

Just a few thoughts from someone looking in.