Copperheads

Bengal Maniac

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on what your black snake is. You get a Black Racer or a Rat Snake and it's not killing too many other snakes. A Black Kingsnake on the other hand will eat a lot of them. But, snakes kill and eat so many pests that your best course is just to leave them alone regardless.

The non-venomous I can tolerate but I'm killing any Copperhead I see. I've killed 2 on our golf course since I moved there 3 years ago.

Surprised to hear about Copperheads this far north. They are often confused with 2 other non venom snakes with very similar colors/rings. Most snakes will retreat with humans/predators in the area, including timber rattlers that will strike as a last option. Copperheads are mean and very aggressive. The will strike much bigger prey and won't sneak off.

A lot of people mistake these guys.

Copperhead

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45688[/ATTACH]

Rat Snake

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45689[/ATTACH]

IF it was indeed 4ft long, it wasn't a copperhead. It was a Rat snake if I'm betting. I agree with CWF

The trick to figuring out snakes, is similar to a rifle. It's important to identify the dangerous end.

You probably all know this...but a venomous snake has pupils that are slits, and non-venomous snakes have circular pupils. So the trick is to pick them up and look them right in the eye so you can tell. :woot:

I have developed somewhat of a tolerance for snakes. I don't love them, but if I encounter one in the open it doesn't bother me too much. It is the 15 around it that you don't see that give me the willies. :eek:

Surprised to hear about Copperheads this far north. They are often confused with 2 other non venom snakes with very similar colors/rings. Most snakes will retreat with humans/predators in the area, including timber rattlers that will strike as a last option. Copperheads are mean and very aggressive. The will strike much bigger prey and won't sneak off.

copperheadrange.gif

We seems to be solidly in their range.

IF it was indeed 4ft long, it wasn't a copperhead. It was a Rat snake if I'm betting. I agree with CWF

Since when can men estimate size correctly? I've seen plenty of "4 and 5 foot snakes" that were about as long as a yard stick when they got stretched out.

I think what freaks people out about copperheads is how much girth they have to them as compared to other snakes of similar length, they are thick.

#bucketlist #usedgirthinasentenceonBGP #NotAViolation