Copperheads

Bengal Maniac

The most mistaken venomous snake in Kentucky is the Cotton Mouth or Water Moccasin. I hear people talk about seeing them all over Kentucky, even hear they are on all of the big lakes in Ky. Well there are snakes that swim in all of the lakes, there are snakes similar in color to Cotton Mouths in a lot of lakes but unless you live out by Rocket in WKY what your seeing isn't a Cotton Mouth.

cottonmouthrange.gif

Range of Cotton Mouths / Water Moccasin

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of long snakes, there is a Black Rat snake that lives in my backyard....well actually, it could have been passing through. It was easily 6+ feet in length because I held it straight out at eye level and it touched the ground. I looked these snakes up, and they can grow to be 8+ feet long. They are non-venomous, but my dog and I had it pretty PO'd and defensive. Mainly I chased it off to the woods so I wouldn't run over it with the mower.

Speaking of long snakes, there is a Black Rat snake that lives in my backyard....well actually, it could have been passing through. It was easily 6+ feet in length because I held it straight out at eye level and it touched the ground. I looked these snakes up, and they can grow to be 8+ feet long. They are non-venomous, but my dog and I had it pretty PO'd and defensive. Mainly I chased it off to the woods so I wouldn't run over it with the mower.

They eat a lot of rodents. Hence the name.

Some folks call them corn snakes.

Good guys to have around. Well, unless you raise chickens.

I've never seen a copperhead in my life that wasn't stubby. They are thick, stout snakes. Blunt tails typically, and usually stink, literally. Woodpiles are the most often locale I've found them.

I just cleaned a woodpile, and my sensors were on overload looking out for one. Thankfully only encountered a grass snake of some sort (with round pupils), but it didn't want to leave.

I'm betting it's a corn snake. There are a couple ways to tell if its a copperhead. A copperhead has a vertical pupil whereas most harmless snakes in Ky have a round pupil. If getting face-to-face with the snake doesn't work, flip him over on his back. Most venomous snakes have a double row of scales on there underside after the anal plate. Harmless snakes have a single row of scales. Better yet, leave it alone and no one, including the snake, will get hurt.