4A, 5A, 6A, 6A

The enrollments listed for the state tournament includes both male and female. Trinity and Covington Catholic only list the male enrollment. So yes it is like having a 1000+

Can not speak for Trinity,,,,But CCH only has a male enrollment..

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't go to all 6 State Finals. Hell. No. Could care less about 1-3A final games. And the same would be the case for basketball. Who wants to watch NCC DESTROY the competition in a 2A basketball championship game? Not this guy.

I only try to go to the football finals if Boyle County or Bowling Green is in the finals. I didn't go at all this year as I had a family function on the day the BG game which was moved to Sunday. I don't go watch anyone other football game if it isn't either one of them. Not even Trinity/St. X or whoever Trinity may be playing.

If I am in the country I attend EVERY Sweet 16 game. And I always will until it gets ruined by classification if that happens.

I am with you............................

The Sweet 16 may be the the greatest show on Earth but only if you are a large school...

4A, 5A, 6A, 6A...

The goose ... or the golden egg - which is preferred??? Most other states have pondered the same question, and most have unfortunately opted for the same answer: class basketball. The end result is a bastardization of the championship process and a horribly diluted product. We need look only north of the river, where their fabled "Hoosier Hysteria" has become "Hoosier Hysterectomy." Pathetically sad, it is, and it will never EVER return to the superb championship tournament it once was. KENTUCKY SHOULD NEVER, EVER CHOOSE TO GO DOWN THIS PATH, AND KEEP UP IT'S RESOLVE TO MAINTAIN THE GREATEST HOOPS SHOW ON EARTH. PERIOD. But this is just one person's opinion.

This hasn't necessarily worked in football. Yes, different sport, but all the move to six classes there has done is create new powerhouses. Highlands won a whole string of state titles, Bowling Green is killing 5A, Mayfield has run through people consistently in A, etc. Classify basketball and you are going to get 3-6 different state tournaments with a few teams that will probably dominate those new arrangements like we currently see in football. I don't think moving to classes for basketball is going to create a playing field were the title is "really up for grabs" every year. You'll just get the same schools dominating their class for years on end.

I agree!

So let's say they do a class in basketball like they do football. first off I will be the first to say 6 classes would be WAAAAYYYY Too many in Basketball.

secondly say they only have 3 classes in basketball

Using Football standards for classes; those would be 1A thru 2A would make up one class

just ship the trophy to NCC just about every year

3A thru 4A to make up the 2nd class

Just ship the trophy to CCH most of the years

5A thru 6A

Trinity

People complain too much about football being too many classes and the same teams winning the majority of the time, could you imagine basketball being broken into classes?

Just look at this year. Cov Cath won, yes they aren't a 1A school or a 2A school, but they are a 4A and not a 5 or 6A

I like how Ky does it. Don't change a thing.

I agree!

So let's say they do a class in basketball like they do football. first off I will be the first to say 6 classes would be WAAAAYYYY Too many in Basketball.

secondly say they only have 3 classes in basketball

Using Football standards for classes; those would be 1A thru 2A would make up one class

just ship the trophy to NCC just about every year

3A thru 4A to make up the 2nd class

Just ship the trophy to CCH most of the years

5A thru 6A

Trinity

People complain too much about football being too many classes and the same teams winning the majority of the time, could you imagine basketball being broken into classes?

Just look at this year. Cov Cath won, yes they aren't a 1A school or a 2A school, but they are a 4A and not a 5 or 6A

I like how Ky does it. Don't change a thing.

Your assessment is very accurate :thumb: That's why the catholic schools and private schools need to be separated. They need their own division. You are right the private schools will dominate. So classes only isn't the answer. I'm thinking four classes. 2 for public schools and 2 for private schools. Enrollment cutoff at 400-450. That way you are either in class A or class AA. My opinion

I've never followed track so I don't even know how they do it.

Football is different in my eyes for 2 reasons. 1 you can have unlimited players on a team that needs a lot of p,ayers to become better than teams without a lot of players because of the physical type of game it is and the number of players on the field. This has been discussed a million times but I will say it again, it is better not to have 11 players playing both ways on a football team simply because of fatigue issues. The better teams in the state platoon mostly. Also because you can have unlimited players on a roster in football you can have more to choose from when you have a larger male enrollment. Basketball as well as baseball you play the majority of the games with the same 5 or 8 (plus a pitcher).

2 the physical aspect of the game of football produces more injuries and a school with 80-100 players on a team is better off than a team with 30 players on a team which gives them an unfair advantage.

Basketball each roster has around the same number of players. That is why there is a big difference in basketball and football

You very conviently dismissed the track issue. They have 3 classifications in track, and don't tell me you need a lot more kids to be good in track than basketball.

One other thought...

To all of the Private school haters - Covington Catholic's win today was their first state title in basketball and only their second appearance in the state title game (first since 1967). They have made 9 trips to the Sweet 16 in 97 years - an average of once/decade (or so)! This year, we had two private schools in the Sweet 16. I saw some outstanding basketball from the public schools. A missed shot here, a foul called there, could have been a different result.

P.S. - legitimate question - Don't you think public schools recruit? If not, you are delusional. It happens in every classification, all across our great Commonwealth.

Keep the All A - leave the Sweet 16 alone.

Again - KY's high school basketball tournament is special - please keep it that way!

Agree completely with what you say. I have no problem with the Sweet 16. I DO have a BIG problem with people who dismiss the ALL A as a tourney for also rans. If you don't like it don't go, pay attention, read about it, or whatever, but don't dismiss what these schools and their players accomplish as worthless because you don't like the tourney.

Agree completely with what you say. I have no problem with the Sweet 16. I DO have a BIG problem with people who dismiss the ALL A as a tourney for also rans. If you don't like it don't go, pay attention, read about it, or whatever, but don't dismiss what these schools and their players accomplish as worthless because you don't like the tourney.

That's fair. :thumb: