4A, 5A, 6A, 6A

I was waiting for this argument to come up.

Football and Basketball are totally different and needs classes. To think they are similar is wrong wrong and wrong.

Which should OBVIOUS. You can win the (basketball) State Championship with 5 outstanding players and some decent subs (w/luck) or maybe 6 or 7 good players, but Lord have mercy to win in football against schools that have such huge enrollments or player advantages is impossible. The big schools have HUGE numbers of boys from which to choose and field a team while smaller schools know what it is like to be UK trying to compete against Alabama. If you don't have the numbers it ain't happening!!!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a Beechwood wins the state tournament, it will be talked about for decades. Make a movie about it just like Hoosiers.

If Basketball goes to classes and Beechwood wins their class, who really cares? Basketball is special this way because everybody has a chance to win the title that only goes to 1.

There is a reason Indiana hates the way the state titles are won since they went to different classes in basketball. Let KY keep it how it is and not ruin it like In did.

Shelby Valley, who was mentioned earlier, did win it a few years ago, and no one really talks much about it. I remember it being a pretty big deal at the time, but I haven't heard that mentioned again until this discussion. While I agree, a one class tournament is a romantic idea, and the thought of a tiny school winning it is great, in reality that's all it is for the most part is a thought. I've got no issues with 2 or 3 classes, and most states in the country don't either. With the number of participating schools and huge disparities in enrollment, a multi-class system makes sense.

No, it's not. Never understood this system of calculation. Why not use the actual male and female enrollment numbers? Certainly we have them.

The enrollments listed for the state tournament includes both male and female. Trinity and Covington Catholic only list the male enrollment. So yes it is like having a 1000+

DanvilleFan hits the nail on the head. Regarding FB, KY does NOT have the population to justify six state champions. Moreover, the playoff system is broken. Look at the scores of 1st/2nd round games. Too many people upset because Jonny didn't get a trophy.

Turning to basketball - KY is special, the Sweet 16 is an unbelievable experience. Part of what makes it great is the fact that it allows kids to dream big!

KHSAA - PLEASE don't take the magic away - it is truly the greatest show in hoops!

I suppose track is "totally different" also.

I've never followed track so I don't even know how they do it.

Football is different in my eyes for 2 reasons. 1 you can have unlimited players on a team that needs a lot of p,ayers to become better than teams without a lot of players because of the physical type of game it is and the number of players on the field. This has been discussed a million times but I will say it again, it is better not to have 11 players playing both ways on a football team simply because of fatigue issues. The better teams in the state platoon mostly. Also because you can have unlimited players on a roster in football you can have more to choose from when you have a larger male enrollment. Basketball as well as baseball you play the majority of the games with the same 5 or 8 (plus a pitcher).

2 the physical aspect of the game of football produces more injuries and a school with 80-100 players on a team is better off than a team with 30 players on a team which gives them an unfair advantage.

Basketball each roster has around the same number of players. That is why there is a big difference in basketball and football

^^^^

Basketball may have the same roster size but being ale to choose from 1,000 boys compared to 100 boys is not the same.

It's a lot closer than football choosing from 100 boys and 1000 boys.

As I said, it's more of the physical aspect of both games is why there should be classes in football and I believe every state in the country Aslo agrees with that in football.

In football, including special teams you have basically 33 different positions needed to be filled compared to basketballs 5

One other thought...

To all of the Private school haters - Covington Catholic's win today was their first state title in basketball and only their second appearance in the state title game (first since 1967). They have made 9 trips to the Sweet 16 in 97 years - an average of once/decade (or so)! This year, we had two private schools in the Sweet 16. I saw some outstanding basketball from the public schools. A missed shot here, a foul called there, could have been a different result.

P.S. - legitimate question - Don't you think public schools recruit? If not, you are delusional. It happens in every classification, all across our great Commonwealth.

Keep the All A - leave the Sweet 16 alone.

Again - KY's high school basketball tournament is special - please keep it that way!

One other thought...

To all of the Private school haters - Covington Catholic's win today was their first state title in basketball and only their second appearance in the state title game (first since 1967). They have made 9 trips to the Sweet 16 in 97 years - an average of once/decade (or so)! This year, we had two private schools in the Sweet 16. I saw some outstanding basketball from the public schools. A missed shot here, a foul called there, could have been a different result.

P.S. - legitimate question - Don't you think public schools recruit? If not, you are delusional. It happens in every classification, all across our great Commonwealth.

Keep the All A - leave the Sweet 16 alone.

Again - KY's high school basketball tournament is special - please keep it that way!

I agree with just about everything said. As far as the recruiting comment though I think that plays a bigger part in football than it does in basketball, just my opinion.

I agree with just about everything said. As far as the recruiting comment though I think that plays a bigger part in football than it does in basketball, just my opinion.

Perhaps - but it may be due to the fact that football requires more players to win. In hoops, one star can make all the difference.

While i dont think of it as the best of the worst you are correct in the All A winner having little to know shot. I dont think these teams are the best of the worst as you call them. Newport central Cathloic in the 9th region was among the best teams in that region going into the post season. The same can be said for Bishop Brossart in the 10th. Probally the same across the state. Although Brossart didnt win their district going into the district tournament they were favorited to win it.

The reason the All A has all the hype and teams have put alot of signifigance on it is because thats their best shot for getting any state recognition. This is their state tournament even if the KHSAA doe not endorse it as a state champ. The big schools just dominate and the little schools dont have a chance in the sweet 16. Ever!

Ppl wanna do away with the all A and im all for it if they classify basketball. Wouldnt need it. If the powers at be want to keep the cash cow that is the sweet 16 then thats what will be. But if people wanna see a fair and even playing field where it really is up for grabs year in and year out on who will hoist the state tournament trophy then classification is needed in the worst way. Should have been done yrs ago!!! Really how exciting is it to see the sames top level big schools yr in and yr out? They just reload every year and its frustrating for the small schools.

This hasn't necessarily worked in football. Yes, different sport, but all the move to six classes there has done is create new powerhouses. Highlands won a whole string of state titles, Bowling Green is killing 5A, Mayfield has run through people consistently in A, etc. Classify basketball and you are going to get 3-6 different state tournaments with a few teams that will probably dominate those new arrangements like we currently see in football. I don't think moving to classes for basketball is going to create a playing field were the title is "really up for grabs" every year. You'll just get the same schools dominating their class for years on end.

This hasn't necessarily worked in football. Yes, different sport, but all the move to six classes there has done is create new powerhouses. Highlands won a whole string of state titles, Bowling Green is killing 5A, Mayfield has run through people consistently in A, etc. Classify basketball and you are going to get 3-6 different state tournaments with a few teams that will probably dominate those new arrangements like we currently see in football. I don't think moving to classes for basketball is going to create a playing field were the title is "really up for grabs" every year. You'll just get the same schools dominating their class for years on end.

This is very possible. But there always seems to be a little school that every 10-12 years has a two or three year run as it is now. With the teams classified that 2-3 yr run may be cut from 10-12 yrs. to 4-5 years. While there will always be a odds on favorite but maybe just maybe it will even out.