Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

4A, 5A, 6A, 6A

Featured Replies

So CovCaths 500 or so students is not small enough for you? It has to be 400 or less? :rolleyes:

 

That is 500 +'boys which translates to 1,000+ students.

  • Replies 108
  • Views 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally don't want to lose "the Sweet Sixteen". Even though the school I supports may never win (for any number of reasons) I still like the magic of that possibility being out there. If the "All-A" tourney satisfies those few small schools that remain, more power to them.

 

outofbounds mentions a factor that influences it all - consolidation. I know that in 1953 there were 16 teams in what was then the 47th District (consisting of McCreary, Pulaski, Russell & Wayne Counties). Pulaski County alone had nine high schools: Burnside, Eubank, Ferguson, Mt. Victory, Nancy, Pulaski County, Science Hill, Shopville & Somerset. Now it has three (PC, Southwestern PC and Somerset) and 16 teams make up the entire Region.

 

Time is going to eventually remove all but very few of the smaller independent public schools via their being voluntarily or forced to merge with other schools in their respective counties. Time will also knock schools like Scott County from their mountain top view advantage by forcing them to split.

 

Laurel County used to have four high schools, each with GREAT traditions in basketball: Hazel Green, Lilly, London & Bush. Then they were merged into one school and thereafter split back into two schools. Now they're talking that they may split the two into three high schools. Their location (intersection of I-75 and KY80 (gateway into much of Eastern Kentucky) has seen huge growth come about and thus more children to educate.

 

Ultimately time will even out the differences to some degree (in enrollment sizes) although some schools will always be larger and some smaller (somebody has to be). The biggest fly in the ointment are private schools and public schools who draw from a huge population base which does give them a built-in advantage.

 

I'm not fond of having to make a choice between a Scott County (although I know & like their coach, Billy Hicks-who can blame him for making the most of what he has available to him?) and a private school as to who wins this year's State Tournament because both have advantages that most of the schools in this state will never have, but life isn't fair. You just have to work that much harder and on those rare occasions when someone does overcome and prove it can be done, hooray for the "little guy" (even though what we consider "little" may have to be ratcheted up somewhat).

 

Anyway, I love the Sweet Sixteen and I'm willing to be frustrated (at being unable to win it) until my team either wins it or I am six feet under (which is more likely-LOL).

 

Kentucky High School Basketball is a great thing. The Sweet Sixteen makes it even greater. JMO.

Some fellas here are just romanticizing the past now. Next we will hear about how they had to walk six miles to school every day and had no running water or toliets. Carpe Diem my friends.

Overrated. Next thing you know there will be an All AAA classic for the medium schools.

I agree 110%. When I think of the all A tourney all I think of is the best of the worst. Nothing really special to me. Sure every once in awhile a winner of the All A tourney will make it to the state title game but very rarely does it happen.

 

I actually think all the hype about the All A tourney is a little excessive.

its kind of like the honorable mention to me and why so many hold it as highly as they do always seemed a little comfusing to me.

Why would it be a colossal waste of time? Too many no talent little schools involved? Watching the little guys fight for a state title for their respective class not to your likeing? I guess that's ok for you to look at it like that but the way it is now is why I don't go to state tournament I guess all the reasons that you go is all the reasons I stay at home. I'm for all small schools (enrollment of 400 or less). I'm not going to Lexington to watch all the big schools duke it out. But that's just me. I'm sure they are awesome games been reading the updates by RP and yourself nightly. :thumb: great job both of you guys by the way :thumb: But if their ain't a small school in it then it ain't for me.

 

To say its a waste of time is not fair to the kids of the small schools that just might have a shot if bball were classified. JMO.

If a Beechwood wins the state tournament, it will be talked about for decades. Make a movie about it just like Hoosiers.

 

If Basketball goes to classes and Beechwood wins their class, who really cares? Basketball is special this way because everybody has a chance to win the title that only goes to 1.

 

There is a reason Indiana hates the way the state titles are won since they went to different classes in basketball. Let KY keep it how it is and not ruin it like In did.

Edited by Hellbird

That is 500 +'boys which translates to 1,000+ students.

 

No, it's not. Never understood this system of calculation. Why not use the actual male and female enrollment numbers? Certainly we have them.

I agree 110%. When I think of the all A tourney all I think of is the best of the worst. Nothing really special to me. Sure every once in awhile a winner of the All A tourney will make it to the state title game but very rarely does it happen.

 

I actually think all the hype about the All A tourney is a little excessive.

its kind of like the honorable mention to me and why so many hold it as highly as they do always seemed a little comfusing to me.

 

While i dont think of it as the best of the worst you are correct in the All A winner having little to know shot. I dont think these teams are the best of the worst as you call them. Newport central Cathloic in the 9th region was among the best teams in that region going into the post season. The same can be said for Bishop Brossart in the 10th. Probally the same across the state. Although Brossart didnt win their district going into the district tournament they were favorited to win it.

 

The reason the All A has all the hype and teams have put alot of signifigance on it is because thats their best shot for getting any state recognition. This is their state tournament even if the KHSAA doe not endorse it as a state champ. The big schools just dominate and the little schools dont have a chance in the sweet 16. Ever!

 

Ppl wanna do away with the all A and im all for it if they classify basketball. Wouldnt need it. If the powers at be want to keep the cash cow that is the sweet 16 then thats what will be. But if people wanna see a fair and even playing field where it really is up for grabs year in and year out on who will hoist the state tournament trophy then classification is needed in the worst way. Should have been done yrs ago!!! Really how exciting is it to see the sames top level big schools yr in and yr out? They just reload every year and its frustrating for the small schools.

If a Beechwood wins the state tournament, it will be talked about for decades. Make a movie about it just like Hoosiers.

If Basketball goes to classes and Beechwood wins their class, who really cares? Basketball is special this way because everybody has a chance to win the title that only goes to 1.

There is a reason Indiana hates the way the state titles are won since they went to different classes in basketball. Let KY keep it how it is and not ruin it like In did.

 

I understand what you are saying and not to take anything away from Beechwood but the way high school basketball is is today that wont happen unless its classified. If a small school has a dominate player coming up the ranks its a good bet by the time he reaches the 9th grade he will not be attending Beechwood. He will be going to one of the powerhouse bball programs in hopes of winning a state title and gettin a better shot of a college scholarship. Thats how it is in high school bball these days the big schools get the players end of story. Please lets be realistic.

If they ever classify basketball I won't come back to the tournament unless my kid is playing in it. It would be a colossal waste of time. I wouldn't care who won. The LIT, Republic Bank Classic and the King of the Bluegrass would be all I needed.

Just wondering, do you attend any of the football playoffs, or is that just a colossal waste of time also.

If a Beechwood wins the state tournament, it will be talked about for decades. Make a movie about it just like Hoosiers.

 

If Basketball goes to classes and Beechwood wins their class, who really cares? Basketball is special this way because everybody has a chance to win the title that only goes to 1.

 

There is a reason Indiana hates the way the state titles are won since they went to different classes in basketball. Let KY keep it how it is and not ruin it like In did.

 

If they hate it so bad appeal to get it changed back. Classification would be the best thing for high school hoops. IMO

It's not a state event. It's an invitational tournment, just like many others held around the state. Just a tad larger and to be invited you must meet the enrollment numbers.

"Just a tad larger"? Sounds like you are involved in government borrowing saying we will go in debt "just a tad more".

Just wondering, do you attend any of the football playoffs, or is that just a colossal waste of time also.

 

I was waiting for this argument to come up.

 

Football and Basketball are totally different and needs classes. To think they are similar is wrong wrong and wrong.

So CovCaths 500 or so students is not small enough for you? It has to be 400 or less? :rolleyes:

You know CovCath's 500+ equates to any co-ed school's 1000+ because it is all boys. That's a big difference.

Just wondering, do you attend any of the football playoffs, or is that just a colossal waste of time also.

 

I don't go to all 6 State Finals. Hell. No. Could care less about 1-3A final games. And the same would be the case for basketball. Who wants to watch NCC DESTROY the competition in a 2A basketball championship game? Not this guy.

 

I only try to go to the football finals if Boyle County or Bowling Green is in the finals. I didn't go at all this year as I had a family function on the day the BG game which was moved to Sunday. I don't go watch anyone other football game if it isn't either one of them. Not even Trinity/St. X or whoever Trinity may be playing.

 

 

If I am in the country I attend EVERY Sweet 16 game. And I always will until it gets ruined by classification if that happens.

I agree 110%. When I think of the all A tourney all I think of is the best of the worst. Nothing really special to me. Sure every once in awhile a winner of the All A tourney will make it to the state title game but very rarely does it happen.

 

I actually think all the hype about the All A tourney is a little excessive.

its kind of like the honorable mention to me and why so many hold it as highly as they do always seemed a little comfusing to me.

Obviously spoken by a fan of a big school who can't stand to see a small school celebrate winning a tournament. If you ever attended an ALL A Tourney and see the kids from the small schools play you might change your mind. In the meantime if you don't like it don't belittle it, just ignore it.

By the way, is all the hype about the A

& AA football champs just the best of the worst?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.