Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

4A, 5A, 6A, 6A

Featured Replies

Talk to most hoosier fans since they went to multi-class, the majority can not stand it. It has been 60 years since Bobby Plump hit the shot, but the romanticism still exists. We have good thing here, lets not go down that road.

  • Replies 108
  • Views 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for classes

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

:sssh:

 

I've been sayin this for a while now. It's way past time for it. IMO

If that is the case why doesn't Indiana change back to one class?

 

That's a good question.

 

I'm not from Indiana, and I have nothing to do with how they run things.

 

They might fear that there'd be a shortsighted minority who would scream "Inequality"

 

Most don't like it, and their attendance has suffered because it.

I guarantee you, if there were no All A Classic, we would now have classes in basketball.

 

Thank God for Fr. Ed Heile and Mr. Stan Steidel for having the foresight and wisdom some 30 odd years ago to find and implement a solution that could yearly give small schools something to shoot for, and if they're good enough (which sometimes is the case), they could also shoot for the stars again at the end of the season, keeping the magic alive in what has always made the Sweet 16 so special and exciting to begin with.

If they ever classify basketball I won't come back to the tournament unless my kid is playing in it. It would be a colossal waste of time. I wouldn't care who won. The LIT, Republic Bank Classic and the King of the Bluegrass would be all I needed.

If they ever classify basketball I won't come back to the tournament unless my kid is playing in it. It would be a colossal waste of time. I wouldn't care who won. The LIT, Republic Bank Classic and the King of the Bluegrass would be all I needed.

 

Why would it be a colossal waste of time? Too many no talent little schools involved? Watching the little guys fight for a state title for their respective class not to your likeing? I guess that's ok for you to look at it like that but the way it is now is why I don't go to state tournament I guess all the reasons that you go is all the reasons I stay at home. I'm for all small schools (enrollment of 400 or less). I'm not going to Lexington to watch all the big schools duke it out. But that's just me. I'm sure they are awesome games been reading the updates by RP and yourself nightly. :thumb: great job both of you guys by the way :thumb: But if their ain't a small school in it then it ain't for me.

 

To say its a waste of time is not fair to the kids of the small schools that just might have a shot if bball were classified. JMO.

It's not a state event. It's an invitational tournment, just like many others held around the state. Just a tad larger and to be invited you must meet the enrollment numbers.

 

Curious how many other "invitational" tournaments with 125 invitees there are in the state?? How many do you have to win one of 16 regional tourneys to qualify, and then win four games in four days to hoist the trophy??

 

Seems to me there's only one larger than that, and its finishing up in Lexington this weekend??

Curious how many other "invitational" tournaments with 125 invitees there are in the state?? How many do you have to win one of 16 regional tourneys to qualify, and then win four games in four days to hoist the trophy??

 

Seems to me there's only one larger than that, and its finishing up in Lexington this weekend??

 

It's not a Khsaa event, if it were the trophy would have "Khsaa" tattooed on it. That doesn't lessen it's significance. If you think I'm belittling the All "A" you would be wrong but it is a very large invitational tournament.

I'd hate to see classes in basketball. We've already seen a ridiculous expansion to six classes in football and how that's watered down the championships. Wouldn't want to see the same for a sport where you only have to field 10-12 athletes.

Why would it be a colossal waste of time? Too many no talent little schools involved? Watching the little guys fight for a state title for their respective class not to your likeing? I guess that's ok for you to look at it like that but the way it is now is why I don't go to state tournament I guess all the reasons that you go is all the reasons I stay at home. I'm for all small schools (enrollment of 400 or less). I'm not going to Lexington to watch all the big schools duke it out. But that's just me. I'm sure they are awesome games been reading the updates by RP and yourself nightly. :thumb: great job both of you guys by the way :thumb: But if their ain't a small school in it then it ain't for me.

 

To say its a waste of time is not fair to the kids of the small schools that just might have a shot if bball were classified. JMO.

 

So CovCaths 500 or so students is not small enough for you? It has to be 400 or less? :rolleyes:

Valley was 2A. Still is, and almost positive they will be in the new alignment.

 

Wayne County truth be told is a 4A school now. Still one more year in 3A technically, but getting the bump up with Monticello going in with them obviously.

 

What you see, with the exception of Bardstown coming out of the 5th, is that if 3A schools or smaller make the Sweet 16, it's likely bc they don't have any real 'big' school competition at all in their region...as in, 5A or 6A are non existent.

 

The 15th region for example. Johnson Central is THE biggest school in the entire region.

 

The 12th doesn't even have a 6A school in theirs, nor does the 13the.

 

I think the 16th is just like the 15th....nothing bigger than 4A.

 

 

Wayne County's basketball team didn't benefit from the merger of Monticello and Wayne County.

So CovCaths 500 or so students is not small enough for you? It has to be 400 or less? :rolleyes:

 

That's who I want to win. They are the smallest school in it.

 

With that said they are bigger than the "all A" schools and those are the schools I love to watch. The home grown kids playin for at the same school their entire career from elementary to high school. A lot of the catholic schools and a lot of the big schools can't say that. That's all I meant. Bigger schools like the ones in the sweet 16 have an unfair competitive edge than the schools I am referring too. Why not seperate it and have classes. The almighty dollar that's why and that is sad and pathetic. IMHO. I know I'm the minority on this but that's ok. It's good to have different opinions that will always drive the debate. :thumb:

IMO school consolidation has done more to hurt the Sweet 16 than anything else. The large high schools and the private schools that draw students from everywhere are now the only ones who can compete year in year out. To me 1979-1995 was the "Golden Age" for the Sweet 16. Back then you had schools like Edmonson County, Earlington, Paintsville, Virgie, MC Napier, Buckhorn, Paintsville, Middlesboro, Harlan, Hazard, Maysville which brought teams having a legit chance at the title. Unfortunately you can't return to that.

 

Who wants to see the big schools duke it out just about every year? Not me. For me the Sweet 16 is at its best when you have some Davids consistently challenging Goliath. School consolidation has eliminated most of the Davids. I could care less about seeing Scott Co./Billy Hicks go for another title against a private school. That's like rooting for the dealer at a casino black jack table. These schools are supposed to win. Not saying this to advocate for a class system. Just saying the Sweet 16 will never be what it once was. And I think that is reflected in the attendance numbers. It is no longer drawing casual fans. I was there this week and there was hardly anyone in the upper arena (which makes sense at $13 a pop). Didn't used to be this way.

I really love attending the sweet 16. It is something special. But just like this year, you watch a team and then hear where some of the kids are really from. Its all changing and sadly its not going back to what it used to be. Yes it would be great to see some of those small schools find their way to the state tournament, a school so small they don't even have a football team. A class system they might could have that chance. But not they way it is now. Personally I have always felt that private schools should have their own state tournament. But its not my decision. But to be honest, its not going to change.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.