4A, 5A, 6A, 6A

The goose ... or the golden egg - which is preferred??? Most other states have pondered the same question, and most have unfortunately opted for the same answer: class basketball. The end result is a bastardization of the championship process and a horribly diluted product. We need look only north of the river, where their fabled "Hoosier Hysteria" has become "Hoosier Hysterectomy." Pathetically sad, it is, and it will never EVER return to the superb championship tournament it once was. KENTUCKY SHOULD NEVER, EVER CHOOSE TO GO DOWN THIS PATH, AND KEEP UP IT'S RESOLVE TO MAINTAIN THE GREATEST HOOPS SHOW ON EARTH. PERIOD. But this is just one person's opinion.

Again don't disagree at all. Just let the small schools enjoy their ALL A tourney without demeaning it.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree!

So let's say they do a class in basketball like they do football. first off I will be the first to say 6 classes would be WAAAAYYYY Too many in Basketball.

secondly say they only have 3 classes in basketball

Using Football standards for classes; those would be 1A thru 2A would make up one class

just ship the trophy to NCC just about every year

3A thru 4A to make up the 2nd class

Just ship the trophy to CCH most of the years

5A thru 6A

Trinity

People complain too much about football being too many classes and the same teams winning the majority of the time, could you imagine basketball being broken into classes?

Just look at this year. Cov Cath won, yes they aren't a 1A school or a 2A school, but they are a 4A and not a 5 or 6A

I like how Ky does it. Don't change a thing.

I know what you are saying, but I bet the Highlands fans might feel they fit in there somewhere.

First off let me state that i am not advocating for classification in basketball. It seems to be a pretty special thing. Only 2 other states (Hawaii and Delaware to my knowledge) that do not divide small schools and large schools into separate championships. But to think that small schools are on the same level of competition as big schools is just not applicable. The more players you have to choose from the better chance you have of having more talent at any sport. When you have to dress and sometimes start average 8th and 9th graders on varsity because you lack the numbers it is very hard to compete with the bigger schools. Don't get me wrong we occasionally have a couple talented players but the majority of the bigger schools have 6-8 if not more at the same level. Some of the time we have to start and play players that would not make the team at the majority of big schools let alone compete with them. It would be like asking Kentucky State to compete with UK. On a given day anything can happen but not happening on an everyday basis.

I find it hilarious that people are so scared of competition they want to classify basketball and separate the publics and privates.

Congrats to you PP92! This post by you was the 1,000th like I have given. I just noticed that on my page.

On the flip side, I am 8 likes short of 2,500 received. I am going to have to pay attention and see who gives me my 2,500th like.

First off let me state that i am not advocating for classification in basketball. It seems to be a pretty special thing. Only 2 other states (Hawaii and Delaware to my knowledge) that do not divide small schools and large schools into separate championships. But to think that small schools are on the same level of competition as big schools is just not applicable. The more players you have to choose from the better chance you have of having more talent at any sport. When you have to dress and sometimes start average 8th and 9th graders on varsity because you lack the numbers it is very hard to compete with the bigger schools. Don't get me wrong we occasionally have a couple talented players but the majority of the bigger schools have 6-8 if not more at the same level. Some of the time we have to start and play players that would not make the team at the majority of big schools let alone compete with them. It would be like asking Kentucky State to compete with UK. On a given day anything can happen but not happening on an everyday basis.

I'm from Delaware, and no we don't class basketball (We do classify football though into two classes). Of course there are only about 70 high schools in Delaware, 24 of which make the state B-ball tourney (the top 8 seeds have byes).

If you are in a very small school, it doesn't matter how you skin the cat, you are not going to win. You just don't have a large enough pool of athletes. Classify basketball, remove the privates, and you still won't win. In the above example, Holmes gives CovCath a run for their money all of the time anyway. Eliminate the Colonels from the public tournament....Holmes wins class 3A-4A almost every year. Eliminate NewCath, Bardstown wins. The answer to problem is that there is no answer. There is no single option to make everyone happy. Why mess w/ the Sweet 16? Why mess w/ the All A? Why worry about privates? They hardly win the Crown Jewel, like, ever.

There are several smaller schools that had a legitimate chance to make the final 4. Wayne Co, Knott Co Central, Bardstown, Newport Catholic, Hazard and Cordia are all smaller than 4A and I wouldn't have been surprised if any of them made the Semifinals.

If you are in a very small school, it doesn't matter how you skin the cat, you are not going to win. You just don't have a large enough pool of athletes. Classify basketball, remove the privates, and you still won't win. In the above example, Holmes gives CovCath a run for their money all of the time anyway. Eliminate the Colonels from the public tournament....Holmes wins class 3A-4A almost every year. Eliminate NewCath, Bardstown wins. The answer to problem is that there is no answer. There is no single option to make everyone happy. Why mess w/ the Sweet 16? Why mess w/ the All A? Why worry about privates? They hardly win the Crown Jewel, like, ever.

Well stated,,I agree

I personally don't want to lose "the Sweet Sixteen". Even though the school I supports may never win (for any number of reasons) I still like the magic of that possibility being out there. If the "All-A" tourney satisfies those few small schools that remain, more power to them.

outofbounds mentions a factor that influences it all - consolidation. I know that in 1953 there were 16 teams in what was then the 47th District (consisting of McCreary, Pulaski, Russell & Wayne Counties). Pulaski County alone had nine high schools: Burnside, Eubank, Ferguson, Mt. Victory, Nancy, Pulaski County, Science Hill, Shopville & Somerset. Now it has three (PC, Southwestern PC and Somerset) and 16 teams make up the entire Region.

Time is going to eventually remove all but very few of the smaller independent public schools via their being voluntarily or forced to merge with other schools in their respective counties. Time will also knock schools like Scott County from their mountain top view advantage by forcing them to split.

Laurel County used to have four high schools, each with GREAT traditions in basketball: Hazel Green, Lilly, London & Bush. Then they were merged into one school and thereafter split back into two schools. Now they're talking that they may split the two into three high schools. Their location (intersection of I-75 and KY80 (gateway into much of Eastern Kentucky) has seen huge growth come about and thus more children to educate.

Ultimately time will even out the differences to some degree (in enrollment sizes) although some schools will always be larger and some smaller (somebody has to be). The biggest fly in the ointment are private schools and public schools who draw from a huge population base which does give them a built-in advantage.

I'm not fond of having to make a choice between a Scott County (although I know & like their coach, Billy Hicks-who can blame him for making the most of what he has available to him?) and a private school as to who wins this year's State Tournament because both have advantages that most of the schools in this state will never have, but life isn't fair. You just have to work that much harder and on those rare occasions when someone does overcome and prove it can be done, hooray for the "little guy" (even though what we consider "little" may have to be ratcheted up somewhat).

Anyway, I love the Sweet Sixteen and I'm willing to be frustrated (at being unable to win it) until my team either wins it or I am six feet under (which is more likely-LOL).

Kentucky High School Basketball is a great thing. The Sweet Sixteen makes it even greater. JMO.

I don't think I could agree anymore with what you said. I am in the same position.

I find it laughable when I hear people say the little schools play a weak schedule. I play 6 District games where one team is twice the student population and the other two are three times as big. When did these big schools ever have to compete with schools three times their size?

I'll be at the Sweet Sixteen every year and I'll be rooting for any small school. I like an underdog.

My thoughts on the privates is that they should have their own tourney. My reason is simple, I look at the state tourney each year and figure out how many privates are there and wonder what school could have been there had they had their own tourney. I don't see it as did a private school win the state tourney. I see it as what community school didn't get to go because a private school beat them. Remember, I'm not from the big city areas. I am from the rural western part of the state. I have my own personal reason why I don't care for private schools.

My thoughts on the privates is that they should have their own tourney. My reason is simple, I look at the state tourney each year and figure out how many privates are there and wonder what school could have been there had they had their own tourney. I don't see it as did a private school win the state tourney. I see it as what community school didn't get to go because a private school beat them. Remember, I'm not from the big city areas. I am from the rural western part of the state. I have my own personal reason why I don't care for private schools.

Sorry if I should know the answer to this already, but you are an active referee in the state of KY?

I see no need to separate private vs public. In areas with multiple high schools, those lines are blurred already with open enrollment. Where would you place schools like Male, Moore Traditional or Manual that are public schools but have no defined territory?? Private schools don't automatically get better athletes or coaches, and aside from Trinity and St X and occasionally Covington Catholic, your rarely hear anybody complain about private school "advantages". The fact that private schools are no more successful at winning the big prize makes this argument hold even less water.

May I ask why? Your explanation wasn't simple to follow. I do find it confusing when fans from areas that are not impacted by private schools (See Eastern Kentucky) in any way rallying fans against them. The private schools are mainly located in Louisville with a few in Lexington and NKY. The rest are scattered across the state. Which schools have been found guilty of doing anything illegal to get their students? What geographic advantage do they have that countless Independent school districst don't also have?

So you don't like it when a private school makes it to the Sweet 16 because it takes way from the local public school?

Try this on for size...

From this thread: http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-boys-basketball/sweet-16-enrollments-274686.html

Each School's enrollment:

Scott County 2403

McCracken County 1871

PRP 1837

Campbell County 1535

Trinity 1269

Bowling Green 1221

South Oldham 1219

Owensboro 1140

Johnson Central 1096

Hopkinsville 1078

Wayne County 950

Clay Couinty 873

Fleming County 669

Bardstown 644

Knott County Central 613

CovCath 573

Of the 16 schools participating in last week's Sweet 16, only TWO (2) of them are private schools: Trinity & Covington Catholic. I don't recall who Trinity beat to win their region, but Covington Catholic beat Holmes...a public school.