Bakeries in NKY

Luke Warmwater

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was a little kid, my parents used to get me and my three brothers in our pj's on Friday night, and then we'd hop in dad's station wagon and drive down to the Latonia Bakery and buy doughnuts for doughnut day (Saturday). The storefront was closed at that point of the day, but they would have a door open to the actual bakery in the back, and they'd let us walk in and buy them there. My parents would let us each get two doughnut holes for the ride home - still warm. There used to be this really big older guy who worked back there - he was mute - and he thought I was a funny little kid. Every couple of weeks or so, he'd make a point to bring me a cinnamon twist (those used to be my favorite back in those days). He couldn't speak, but he'd just walk up silently, smile, lean down and hand me a warm cinnamon twist, and then pat me on the head.

I take my nephews down there from time to time now.

Great story, Colonels_Wear_Blue.

How about cupcakes? Heavenly Frosted on Oakbrook Drive in Florence has delicious cupcakes in so many varieties. Different flavors every day. Love the cream cheese frosting. You might see them on that show "Cupcake Wars", they sent in a tape for that show. Carrot cake, red velvet, and peanut butter cup are the favorites at our house.

Hmmm...sounds good. Where is that at?

Right in the Center of town up next to Studio G and very close to the Ft. Thomas Police Station. Young couple own it and they do a great job, very friendly and have a nice selection. The atmosphere is very nice and is kid friendly. I wish they had outdoor seating but my wife and I usually grab a coffee and go sit on bench in front of the Cop shop. The Highlander Grogg is very good !!!

• 1 month later...
I mentioned Wal-Mart. Had a donut from there this morning. Baked fresh onsite. 53 cents. Very good cruller.

Maybe something has changed. Called an order in yesterday to pickup 4 doz. at Ft. Wright this morning. Of course when I show up, the lady has no order. She tells me if I can wait a couple of minutes that they have not unpacked todays donuts and get them together for me. I asked her to go in to detail. According to her, they are shipped frozen daily, and simply unpacked and displayed. So, as of now, they are not baked on site, and they are not very good.

• 1 month later...

Not NKY (no one really claims Mason County).

Best donuts (and I love Magees, but we're talking donuts) here are at the Creekside Country Store on KY 11 - almost at the Fleming County line. Homemade by Amish on the spot; only on Friday and Saturday mornings. If you're at the right place at the right time, you will never put 65 cents to better use.

I was a hero many times to my daughter's college roommates simply by bring a dozen of these at a time to Georgetown.

The Bakery in Latonia is still there but it is no longer called the The Latonia Bakery or owned by the same people. The Pumpkin cookies for Halloween were the best from the old Latonia Bakery.

The Maple Glazed doughnuts at the Bakery Barn are the best doughnuts I have ever tasted and it is not even close.

Thanks for the tip. They are very good.

When I was a little kid, my parents used to get me and my three brothers in our pj's on Friday night, and then we'd hop in dad's station wagon and drive down to the Latonia Bakery and buy doughnuts for doughnut day (Saturday). The storefront was closed at that point of the day, but they would have a door open to the actual bakery in the back, and they'd let us walk in and buy them there. My parents would let us each get two doughnut holes for the ride home - still warm. .

I did the same when I was a kid.