Bakeries in NKY

Luke Warmwater

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best birthday cakes is Emerson's.

Best cake donuts - Graeter's ... yes, that's what I said Graeter's. If you like cake donuts you have to check it out.

I like cake domuts. I want a donut with some 'meat' on it. I don't like donuts that are real light and feel like they are filled with air. For the same reason I like real icing on cakes and not the whipped icing.

I like cake domuts. I want a donut with some 'meat' on it. I don't like donuts that are real light and feel like they are filled with air. For the same reason I like real icing on cakes and not the whipped icing.

I agree on the icing on cakes. That's why I like Emerson's cakes. Great icing.

On the cake donuts, you may not be as big a fan of Graeter's cake donuts as me. Their cake donuts are a little lighter than most cake donuts. Try one and let me know what you think.

When I was a kid, as a special treat, we would occasionally get doughnuts from a bakery in Latonia. They were so good. I don't think I ever saw the place or know the name of it. I want to say it was called the Latonia Bakery, but am not sure.

When I was a little kid, my parents used to get me and my three brothers in our pj's on Friday night, and then we'd hop in dad's station wagon and drive down to the Latonia Bakery and buy doughnuts for doughnut day (Saturday). The storefront was closed at that point of the day, but they would have a door open to the actual bakery in the back, and they'd let us walk in and buy them there. My parents would let us each get two doughnut holes for the ride home - still warm. There used to be this really big older guy who worked back there - he was mute - and he thought I was a funny little kid. Every couple of weeks or so, he'd make a point to bring me a cinnamon twist (those used to be my favorite back in those days). He couldn't speak, but he'd just walk up silently, smile, lean down and hand me a warm cinnamon twist, and then pat me on the head.

I take my nephews down there from time to time now.

Best birthday cakes is Emerson's.

Best cake donuts - Graeter's ... yes, that's what I said Graeter's. If you like cake donuts you have to check it out.

Walked into Graeter's this morning for a couple donuts and they had a whopping two donuts left to choose from. I got there just before 9:00. I've been in there a couple times around that time and have been very disappointed in the lack of selection. Probably will opt for another bakery next time that actually has more than two or three options by time 9:00 rolls around.

Manyet Bakery near the old post office in Newport was awesome. The smells of that place are etched in my memory.

When I was in grade school at St. Stephen's I would stop by there and pick up a few doughnuts and incredible cinnamon rolls. I still remember them as being the best some 55 years later.

Walked into Graeter's this morning for a couple donuts and they had a whopping two donuts left to choose from. I got there just before 9:00. I've been in there a couple times around that time and have been very disappointed in the lack of selection. Probably will opt for another bakery next time that actually has more than two or three options by time 9:00 rolls around.

Wow. Which location?

I sure do wish Manyet was still around. No other bakery compares...

You and me both, Manyets was my favorite hands down. I can remember taking plenty of trips to the old bakery on East 8th Street with my mom, dad, and grandfather. As far as bakeries currently open in the area, my favorite is Bernhards. When I lived near Latonia, I used to go to their location near the railroad track pretty often.

Go to Ft. Thomas Coffee and get one of their Apple Cinnamon Crumb Cakes. Unreal !!!