Sobering statistic

Michael Corleone

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know we are moving from the original topic, but LA has desalination plants and Saudi Arabia has heavily invested in making salt water in to fresh water.

I'd be curious to know how much of their water comes from desalination plants as opposed to freshwater sources.

Politics for me can be boiled down to this issue alone. Call it closed-mindedness, call it whatever, but if the candidate supports abortion, I can't in good conscience support that candidate. So, elimination of candidates is easy for me at first.

That's fine...as long as you put your money where your mouth is. You want to have a hardline stance, then get in the trenches and help stop abortions at a grassroots level. A vote for a candidate who says what you want to hear is nothing without involvement in the issue.

So abortion is a good way to control the world's population? Am I reading these responses correctly?

You're trying to spin what I said without answering my questions. If the consequences of eliminating abortion worldwide caused you yourself to face food and water rationing, limits on proper ownership and your personal living space and forced sterility would you be okay with that? Would you go out and adopt a couple of these unwanted children that would result? These are very realistic consequences. A lot of people are very quick to act like they are morally superior until it starts to affect their personal freedom. If your going to try and spin what I said that simply have the courtesy to truthfully answer my questions instead of avoiding them.

That's fine...as long as you put your money where your mouth is. You want to have a hardline stance, then get in the trenches and help stop abortions at a grassroots level. A vote for a candidate who says what you want to hear is nothing without involvement in the issue.

It's a start. And how do you know I'm not involved that way? You assume too much.

I don't know how to answer the question of incest or rape abortions. I can say, considering I've never been directly involved, that I'd still be against the abortion. However, I can say with utmost assurance that if when my wife was pregnant with our 2 sons, had either of those pregnancies threatened her life, and I was the one making that decision, they'd have been aborted.

But let's be honest, how many of the 1.3million abortions are because of any of those scenarios? I'm sure somewhere there's a link, maybe we even had it in the earlier thread about the subject.

Playing Devil's Advocate here: If abortion were illegal worldwide how long would it take for the human population to reach the point that the earth could not support it? How high would the number of children living in poverty go? How long before a country such as China used up all of its room and had to forcibly annex more? A lot of these unwanted pregnancies lead to unwanted children. If the parents were forced to have these babies do you really think that they would be cared for properly? Would it make you feel better if these pregnancies were forced to be carried to term and then the babies died of malnutrition and disease?

Mercy killing. Tell that fetus with a heartbeat that they are better off dead. Then walk away.

So it's ok for a woman to die as long as the baby is saved? :rolleyes:

My knee-jerk response to your statement is that there are rare, yet very known risks associated with pregnancy. As far as I'm concerned, engaging in sexual activity that could potentially result in pregnancy implies acceptance of that potential risk. Granted, that leaves a huge gray area with regard to pregnancy resulting from non-complicit sex, and admittedly, I have no answer for those instances.

(When gaining perspective on people's opinions, it's always a little helpful to have a little insight into their backgrounds. That said, I will share that I am a woman.)

You're trying to spin what I said without answering my questions. If the consequences of eliminating abortion worldwide caused you yourself to face food and water rationing, limits on proper ownership and your personal living space and forced sterility would you be okay with that? Would you go out and adopt a couple of these unwanted children that would result? These are very realistic consequences. A lot of people are very quick to act like they are morally superior until it starts to affect their personal freedom. If your going to try and spin what I said that simply have the courtesy to truthfully answer my questions instead of avoiding them.

Yes. What's another potato in the pot when that one just might cure cancer?

I get the feeling that many have the impression that women choose abortion as dispassionately as they may choose to discard an unwanted item of clothing. In my experience, that is untrue of the majority of women.

I agree with that wholeheartedly. And I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that if it was illegal that there would be an immediate curb in sexual behavior. However, my GUESS (no link) is that over time it might.

If the birthrate ever got to that place where we were wedged in like sardines, well, I'd probably support mandatory vasectomies after you father 2 children or tubal ligation after 2 for women. Smarter option than murder. Not to mention, we are humans, not dogs or hamsters. With pressure comes change. What is exactly your definition of morally superior? What about simply moral? If one believes abortion is murder, what makes that morally superior? Wouldn't it be, in that person's definition, morally right? Not superior. If superior, superior to what?