Sobering statistic

Michael Corleone

Playing Devil's Advocate here: If abortion were illegal worldwide how long would it take for the human population to reach the point that the earth could not support it? How high would the number of children living in poverty go? How long before a country such as China used up all of its room and had to forcibly annex more? A lot of these unwanted pregnancies lead to unwanted children. If the parents were forced to have these babies do you really think that they would be cared for properly? Would it make you feel better if these pregnancies were forced to be carried to term and then the babies died of malnutrition and disease?

Currently, the world population stands at around 6 billion. How much space do those 6 billion people occupy? Naturally, they're scattered all over the world but here's a visual for you that puts it all in perspective. If everyone had a 2x2 foot plot to stand on, you could fit the entire population of the world in Jacksonville, Florida. That may sound incredible but it's true. There are 758 square miles in Jacksonville. That's nearly 22 billion square feet.

Of course it's not practical, but the earth is a big place.

Edited by Lawnboy13

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're trying to spin what I said without answering my questions. If the consequences of eliminating abortion worldwide caused you yourself to face food and water rationing, limits on proper ownership and your personal living space and forced sterility would you be okay with that? Would you go out and adopt a couple of these unwanted children that would result? These are very realistic consequences. A lot of people are very quick to act like they are morally superior until it starts to affect their personal freedom. If your going to try and spin what I said that simply have the courtesy to truthfully answer my questions instead of avoiding them.

I'm not spinning anything, I'm just asking if abortion is being seen as a way to control population. And to answer your question again, I don't know but fly from Kentucky to California and look out the window. There's plenty of space in the midwest for a few more people.

I'm not spinning anything, I'm just asking if abortion is being seen as a way to control population. And to answer your question again, I don't know but fly from Kentucky to California and look out the window. There's plenty of space in the midwest for a few more people.

So if you use that land for people where are you going to grow the crops to feed them? And you still never answered my questions.

Currently, the world population stands at around 6 billion. How much space do those 6 billion people occupy? Naturally, they're scattered all over the world but here's a visual for you that puts it all in perspective. If everyone had a 2x2 foot plot to stand on, you could fit the entire population of the world in Jacksonville, Florida. That may sound incredible but it's true. There are 758 square miles in Jacksonville. That's nearly 22 billion square feet.

So it's safe to say that we could fit another 29 million in the rest of the state of Florida?

If the birthrate ever got to that place where we were wedged in like sardines, well, I'd probably support mandatory vasectomies after you father 2 children or tubal ligation after 2 for women. Smarter option than murder. Not to mention, we are humans, not dogs or hamsters. With pressure comes change. What is exactly your definition of morally superior? What about simply moral? If one believes abortion is murder, what makes that morally superior? Wouldn't it be, in that person's definition, morally right? Not superior. If superior, superior to what?

Have you seen how packed people are in China? How much worse would it be if all of their pregnancies were carried to term? Would you want to be one of their neighbors when they start to finish run out of room and drinking water? What do you think would happen then?

I get the feeling that many have the impression that women choose abortion as dispassionately as they may choose to discard an unwanted item of clothing. In my experience, that is untrue of the majority of women.

Granted I don't know many women who have killed their unborn children but the few (3 to be exact) that I do know about did it strictly as a matter of convenience. One even went so far as to say she couldn't be bothered with a baby. In fact she seemed rather proud of the fact that she was so easily able to rid herself of that inconvenience and was very open about having aborted a child.

There may well be women that emotionally struggle with an abortion but I really doubt it that it is a majority.

Sure if all that were required were room for them stand. How many square feet per person is needed to raise enough food to feed all of them? Plus remember all those births would increase exponentially.

So if you use that land for people where are you going to grow the crops to feed them? And you still never answered my questions.

Looks like we can just put the entire world in Florida and grow crops everywhere else. So when you gonna answer my question? Is abortion a good way to control the world's population?

Looks like we can just put the entire world in Florida and grow crops everywhere else. So when you gonna answer my question? Is abortion a good way to control the world's population?

Something has to, humans aren't very good at controlling themselves. Go back and look at the population growth by decade. Look how much it dropped around 1970 when birth control became available and abortion was legalized. Had that not happened we would already be seeing more conflicts over resources than we have now. It might not affect us so much but let all those additional people continue to reproduce exponentially for another fifty years.... It isn't a pleasant picture.

Something has to, humans aren't very good at controlling themselves. Go back and look at the population growth by decade. Look how much it dropped around 1970 when birth control became available and abortion was legalized. Had that not happened we would already be seeing more conflicts over resources than we have now. It might not affect us so much but let all those additional people continue to reproduce exponentially for another fifty years.... It isn't a pleasant picture.

Well it's a damn good thing we had WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. Can you imagine if the 600,000 plus that died in these wars had been around to reproduce? Not to mention the other 1,000,000 from other countries that died.

Have you seen how packed people are in China? How much worse would it be if all of their pregnancies were carried to term? Would you want to be one of their neighbors when they start to finish run out of room and drinking water? What do you think would happen then?

So, do you prefer abortion as population control over what I suggested? I think maybe self control would prevail at some point, do you?