Sobering statistic

Michael Corleone

First, because abortion inherently seems to carry the connotation that it's all the female's deal. And technically, I suppose that is true. But I don't want you to think that I place all the responsibility upon the shoulders of the female. The male has culpability too. As a matter of fact, in the instance above, the boyfriend of the daughter of my friend encouraged unprotected sex because he knew if anything happened, she would "take care of it".

Second, I can relay first hand that there are a goodly number of high school age girls here where I live that have not only had multiple abortions, but known that if they needed one, it was there if an unwanted pregnancy happened. That was my point, what is it that you take umbrage with in that? I've not stated anything presumptive or false.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, because abortion inherently seems to carry the connotation that it's all the female's deal. And technically, I suppose that is true. But I don't want you to think that I place all the responsibility upon the shoulders of the female. The male has culpability too. As a matter of fact, in the instance above, the boyfriend of the daughter of my friend encouraged unprotected sex because he knew if anything happened, she would "take care of it".

Second, I can relay first hand that there are a goodly number of high school age girls here where I live that have not only had multiple abortions, but known that if they needed one, it was there if an unwanted pregnancy happened. That was my point, what is it that you take umbrage with in that? I've not stated anything presumptive or false.

And that was my point before that it (abortion) is an easy out for all involved.

Could part of that be because local folks hide their head in the sand and preach those "abstinence-only" lines while not offering/educating kids about alternatives to abortion? Kids are having sex. The cat's out of the bag. It's happening. Why not make sure they're aware of contraceptive methods instead of ignoring it and acting like unavailability will solve the problem?

Could part of that be because local folks hide their head in the sand and preach those "abstinence-only" lines while not offering/educating kids about alternatives to abortion? Kids are having sex. The cat's out of the bag. It's happening. Why not make sure they're aware of contraceptive methods instead of ignoring it and acting like unavailability will solve the problem?

Maybe the first time. What about the second? And the third? At some point the light should come on. Don't you think?

As for education, if a parent doesn't preach abstinence, I would consider them a fool. All sex education begins with abstinence. You can hang this one at the feet of the church if you like, not buying.

Maybe the first time. What about the second? And the third? At some point the light should come on. Don't you think?

All you can do with it is provide the information. What they choose to do with it is up to them. Did your coach give up on you the first 30 times you messed up a pick-and-roll?

All you can do with it is provide the information. What they choose to do with it is up to them. Did your coach give up on you the first 30 times you messed up a pick-and-roll?

I understand. Serious question however, do you think it's possible that if abortion was not an option (let's not forget adoption is an option) that perhaps promiscuity could curb slightly, and even if it didn't that protection would be taken more seriously?

I understand. Serious question however, do you think it's possible that if abortion was not an option (let's not forget adoption is an option) that perhaps promiscuity could curb slightly, and even if it didn't that protection would be taken more seriously?

No, because even as it stands, abortion is not really a ready option for everyone. If I'm not mistaken, aren't the only clinics actually performing abortions in Kentucky in Louisville? Even if there's more than that, it's not like there's a clinic on every corner of every town. In a rural, poor state such as Kentucky, that means that the option isn't really available to all, yet we still have some of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the country.

An abortion clinic couldn't survive, from a monetary standpoint, in any place in Kentucky but the most liberal of zip codes. The outrage from the local self-righteous would see to it that it couldn't survive, as anyone trying to patronize the business would be shamed out of the community the way those same locales have shamed most homosexuals into moving to Lexington or Louisville.