If CovCath gets the chance against Beechwood should they...

theguru

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would suggest you cannot look at it in piecemeal. One year probably isn't going to make much difference but if CovCath consistently "runs it up" on Beechwood AND they compete well with Highlands over a long period of time then I think the "shallow pool" gets a lot deeper.

The bold is the key for CCH IMO. That is much more important to CCH than the score in the Beechwood game. Not only does CCH need to compete, they must beat Highlands. If CCH doesn't beat Highlands soon, CCH loses in the perception battle. If CCH can't beat Highlands, then they can't win a state championship. If kids start to feel they can't beat them and can't win a title, that hurts CCH much more than what the final score is in the Beechwood game. Even further, CCH needs to beat Highlands and win another title. Kids want that championship ring. Beating Highlands and getting a ring is much more important to CCH than scoring an extra TD or two against Beechwood.

Same thing on the Beechwood side - winning a title is much more important than beating CCH. If Beechwood gets whomped on Friday but goes on to win a title, no one will care what the score was versus the Colonels.

I can only speak from personal experience. I went to Blessed Sacrament for grade school and after 8th grade found 95% of the kids I went to school with went to Cov Cath (boys) and Notre Dame (girls).

Out of my entire class at Blessed Sacrament, only 5 of us went to Beechwood.

I went to Blessed Sacrament as well. If memory serves, we sent 5 to Beechwood - 2 boys, 3 girls. The rest, for the most part, attended Cov Cath, Notre Dame, and Holy Cross, and St. X.

Evidently. alot of posters don't have kids that play any type of sports.....any person that thinks to intentionally run up the score on the opposition and other kids would be good......well, better check yourself in your closest mirror and see who is looking back!!!!!

I've had this discussion with you before but have never asked you. What is your definition of running up the score? If the score is 49-0 and the JV is in the game against the opposing team's starting defense are they allowed to try to score or should they just take a knee for 3 downs and punt?

I've had this discussion with you before but have never asked you. What is your definition of running up the score? If the score is 49-0 and the JV is in the game against the opposing team's starting defense are they allowed to try to score or should they just take a knee for 3 downs and punt?

To steal a famous quote... I can't define what "running up the score" is, but I know it when I see it.

Other than Blessed Sacrament, does Beechwood consistently get catholic grade school kids from any other catholic school?

They may, but Ft Mitchell doesn't have many schools in the first place so Blessed Sacrament and Beechwood grade schools is where they get the majority of their students. With the price of Catholic schools these days, usually if a parent(s) is paying the tuuition to send their kids to a Catholic grade school such as Blessed Sacrament they are more inclined to continue that type of education by sending their kids to Cov Cath, especially in that area of Ft. Mitchell.

Intentionally trying to humiliate the opponent...very simple....we all can play stupid if we want to but everyone knows when this is happening....if you have ever played any sport of any kind or have had a son or daughter that has competed at any level, this is the WORST feeling you will ever have and it is because an adult is making a shameful decision and saying two schools will use this humiliation to try and influence young student athletes to attend their schools is very, very astonishing and plain ole senseless....that is my view on running up the score PurplePride92

Beechwood has given many smackdowns to the other A schools in their districts. It is bound to be their turn somtime. Cov Cath should run their offense just like normal down and distance would dictate. Let the Beechwood stop them if they dont like the embarrassment.

Beechwood (in the era) has never run up the score of of halftime. I recall in 2008 When they beat Dayton 79-0. The First Team Scored about 44 points. The rest was the second and 3rd teams. With that being said, I have seen many other beechwood blowouts and more than half the points out of the second and third teams. (And in some playoff games the freshman team)

Running up the score in my book is when a team that is already up by 4 scores continues to throw the ball downfield on a regular basis.

When a team has their second string in and continue to score when running the ball, even when running is their strong suit, I don't consider that running up the score. It's not the kids fault they continue to score when running the ball for instance because they are just doing what they practice to do. You can't tell a kid who is playing the line to miss his blocks or a running back not to try and gain yards.

If a team doesn't punt on 4th down when up by 4 scores and is on the 50 or beyond, then that is running up the score. In all those scenarios it falls on the coaches, not the players.

Getting ugly in here. Has Beechwood ever had a running clock put on them? I can only remember Mayfield in 04 having one, we went up to Evansville and played Evansville North, I think the final score was 63-10. My son was on that team and it was a humbling experience. I could see where it could break the will of a team if they got just totally blown out, it could be a season wrecker.

My oldest was playing then and it was bad. We beat Evansville the year before and they didn't like it at all. They kept their starters in to almost the end of the 4th quarter.