If CovCath gets the chance against Beechwood should they...

theguru

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you ever played a game of any sport competitively or had your own kids that have played competitively?

Yes. Basketball. Never won a game during my middle school career. We were the punching bag for every middle school in Warren County. We were so bad BGJRH wouldn't even play us. We probably lost every game by an average of 25 points and in our last game at St. Joseph Catholic School we lost to Richardsville by 8 points and claimed victory. Life went on.

My oldest son played basketball at Boyle County and is currently on the JV team at Campbellsville. They finished runner up in the 12th region tournament last season. They also took a butt load of butt whippings from teams like Trinity, Covington Catholic, Dunbar, Christian County, Pulaski County, Knox Central....I can go on and on. It happens. Sometimes teams are just that much better than you. Those lumps they took along the way probably helped them make that run at the end of the season last year. Success doesn't come easy.

My youngest son is currently in middle school at Burgin and plays on a team that I think my middle school team would have beaten. They have played teams that were beating them by 30 points and were still pressing. I never got mad like all of the other parents did. How are they ever going to learn how to compete or beat a full court press if the other team lays down? That's wack. It also doesn't stop his competitive drive or his desire to succeed on the basketball court. Maybe my family is just wired differently. We hate losing and we use it as a learning tool. It's just a game. Either you're good enough or you're not. Life goes on.

Yes. Basketball. Never won a game during my middle school career. We were the punching bag for every middle school in Warren County. We were so bad BGJRH wouldn't even play us. We probably lost every game by an average of 25 points and in our last game at St. Joseph Catholic School we lost to Richardsville by 8 points and claimed victory. Life went on.

My oldest son played basketball at Boyle County and is currently on the JV team at Campbellsville. They finished runner up in the 12th region tournament last season. They also took a butt load of butt whippings from teams like Trinity, Covington Catholic, Dunbar, Christian County, Pulaski County, Knox Central....I can go on and on. It happens. Sometimes teams are just that much better than you. Those lumps they took along the way probably helped them make that run at the end of the season last year. Success doesn't come easy.

My youngest son is currently in middle school at Burgin and plays on a team that I think my middle school team would have beaten. They have played teams that were beating them by 30 points and were still pressing. I never got mad like all of the other parents did. How are they ever going to learn how to compete or beat a full court press if the other team lays down? That's wack. It also doesn't stop his competitive drive or his desire to succeed on the basketball court. Maybe my family is just wired differently. We hate losing and we use it as a learning tool. It's just a game. Either you're good enough or you're not. Life goes on.

Sounds like you have a great family with lots of sports involving them....good luck with your thoughts on running up the score and most importantly, good luck to your kids.....

I just don't believe that one beating or even on-going losing to CCH will affect BW. There's absolutely zero chance of muliple-year beatings in this Matchup. I just don't see Beechwood ever being down multiple seasons. Quite frankly, its just too much of a machine.

I am going to throw an if in here. If CovCath gets to a level where they can compete with Highlands year in and year out it won't take Beechwood being down to get beat soundly by the Colonels.

Beechwood (in the era) has never run up the score of of halftime. I recall in 2008 When they beat Dayton 79-0. The First Team Scored about 44 points. The rest was the second and 3rd teams. With that being said, I have seen many other beechwood blowouts and more than half the points out of the second and third teams. (And in some playoff games the freshman team)

You recall wrong....2008 BW 51 Dayton 0.

I think that you are thinking of Brossart (which was 76-0 ... and the first team played a grand total of 6 minutes in the first quarter).

I guess you are going to have to quantify the differences for me .... because I still don't buy it.

1. Cov Cath and Dixie are also close ... and compete for similar kids .. so I guess I am waiting for the Cov Cath/Dixie "running up the score"

2. I agree that some of these guys spend time together ... but .... that has been on a significant decrease over the past 10 years.

3. Whether you agree or not ... Cov Cath is in competition with EVERY school in NKY for one simple reason ... MONEY.

So .. based on your comments where you believe that Cov Cath should run up the score against Beechwood (which you believe should occur based on the fact that these schools are competing for kids) ... I have a hard time understanding why they should not take that approach with everyone they play.

To the bolded, I pretty much agree CovCath should try to pound all the locals with extra emphasis added to Beechwood because I believe it is their most direct competition and the school (other than Highlands) most likely to attract student-athletes based on the football program.

I think my last sentence covers Dixie, their football program has struggled recently. However, if Coach Brossart gets it rolling then the same rules apply to Dixie.

On the hanging out, so hard to say, maybe its Facebook, but to me I am exposed to a lot more of it recently.

To the bolded, I pretty much agree CovCath should try to pound all the locals with extra emphasis added to Beechwood because I believe it is their most direct competition and the school (other than Highlands) most likely to attract student-athletes based on the football program.

I think my last sentence covers Dixie, their football program has struggled recently. However, if Coach Brossart gets it rolling then the same rules apply to Dixie.

On the hanging out, so hard to say, maybe its Facebook, but to me I am exposed to a lot more of it recently.

Fair enough ....

I think I understand your last line in "real" terms.

On the inside .. if anything ... the friendship factor has really started to fade (over the last few years in particular ... and I date that back to 2008).

From my point of view ... there were some things that happened in other sports recently .. that have moved things in an opposite direction. That may be growing again at the lower grade levels ... but for the older kids .... not so much.

At the end of the day ... things are a lot different now.

After talking about it today .. there are a very few kids who likely used football as a deciding factor.

And where I end up ... is that it is now basically a "family thing".

If your Dad went to Cov Cath ... you end up there (same for Beechwood as well).