If CovCath gets the chance against Beechwood should they...

theguru

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Slick, you added that last comment about championships and I agree for the most part and that is why I said the AND is compete with Highlands.

Put it this way, if CCH is competing with Highlands every year beating Beechwood and pounding them shouldn't be too much trouble most years.

I think the chances are greater that we'll see Guru roaming the CCH sidelines donning a Colonel mascot, and singing the fight song, than CCH running up the score.

I roamed the CCH sidelines last night and had to put up with David McDowell, does that count?

I am a just kidding David... :D

Those are good points slick but I still think there is a huge difference between varsity and JV games. In addition, many of the kids from CCH and Beechwood commonly hang out together.

I guess you are going to have to quantify the differences for me .... because I still don't buy it.

1. Cov Cath and Dixie are also close ... and compete for similar kids .. so I guess I am waiting for the Cov Cath/Dixie "running up the score"

2. I agree that some of these guys spend time together ... but .... that has been on a significant decrease over the past 10 years.

3. Whether you agree or not ... Cov Cath is in competition with EVERY school in NKY for one simple reason ... MONEY.

So .. based on your comments where you believe that Cov Cath should run up the score against Beechwood (which you believe should occur based on the fact that these schools are competing for kids) ... I have a hard time understanding why they should not take that approach with everyone they play.

I would suggest you cannot look at it in piecemeal. One year probably isn't going to make much difference but if CovCath consistently "runs it up" on Beechwood AND they compete well with Highlands over a long period of time then I think the "shallow pool" gets a lot deeper.

I assume "Pool" means kids that will be making the decision regardless. There really aren't that many. The fact is that Catholic School kids will go to CCH, Holy Cross or St. Henry and Public School kids will stay at Public schools. I certainly know of a few (as VOR stated) from this years Junior class that were at Beechwood for a few years of Elementary and Junior High. I believe for at least two of them, it was a Football decision. All of them were tuition students. If there is a "pool" it comes from outside of the district. To be honest, if a parent/athlete makes a choice based solely on BW's performance, I don't want them at Beechwood. While we have benefited from Tuition Athletes and those moving to the district for High School, for the most part BW's top players are home-grown.

I just don't believe that one beating or even on-going losing to CCH will affect BW. There's absolutely zero chance of muliple-year beatings in this Matchup. I just don't see Beechwood ever being down multiple seasons. Quite frankly, its just too much of a machine.

How many boys are in the 8th grade class at Blessed Sacrament on average? Do all of these kids go to Cov. Cath or do a percentage end up at Beechwood? I realize it probably varies year to year.

In my experience, I have seen lots of families who send their childrent to catholic grade schools, but public high schools.

I assume "Pool" means kids that will be making the decision regardless. There really aren't that many. The fact is that Catholic School kids will go to CCH, Holy Cross or St. Henry and Public School kids will stay at Public schools. I certainly know of a few (as VOR stated) from this years Junior class that were at Beechwood for a few years of Elementary and Junior High. I believe for at least two of them, it was a Football decision. All of them were tuition students. If there is a "pool" it comes from outside of the district. To be honest, if a parent/athlete makes a choice based solely on BW's performance, I don't want them at Beechwood. While we have benefited from Tuition Athletes and those moving to the district for High School, for the most part BW's top players are home-grown.

I just don't believe that one beating or even on-going losing to CCH will affect BW. There's absolutely zero chance of muliple-year beatings in this Matchup. I just don't see Beechwood ever being down multiple seasons. Quite frankly, its just too much of a machine.

All very good points here ....

Plus ... I would be willing to say that you have "Cov Cath families" and "Beechwood families" where kids are following the legacies of their parents, grandparents ... ... etc.

How many boys are in the 8th grade class at Blessed Sacrament on average? Do all of these kids go to Cov. Cath or do a percentage end up at Beechwood? I realize it probably varies year to year.

In my experience, I have seen lots of families who send their childrent to catholic grade schools, but public high schools.

I can only speak from personal experience. I went to Blessed Sacrament for grade school and after 8th grade found 95% of the kids I went to school with went to Cov Cath (boys) and Notre Dame (girls).

Out of my entire class at Blessed Sacrament, only 5 of us went to Beechwood.