If CovCath gets the chance against Beechwood should they...

theguru

Kind of harsh for a 35-0 score. The running clock hasn't even started yet.

By the time you get to 35-0 its pretty clear who the better team. I'm not saying this response is pre-contemplated either. I'm just saying that frustration can lead to some out of character behaviors on the field.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

By the time you get to 35-0 its pretty clear who the better team. I'm not saying this response is pre-contemplated either. I'm just saying that frustration can lead to some out of character behaviors on the field.

While true I'd hope no one from the losing team is throwing crack back blocks at 35-0.

I think the loosing team members should all get individual "better luck next time" trophies simply for showing up and having the correct numbered jerseys on. That's only after the difference in game score reaches an excess of 35 points. If 35, THEY GET NOTHING!

Want to run it up yes but I would treat it as I would any other game. I don't think a 35-0 margin in the first half is always guarenteed safe in some situations. The team I pull for usually trys to get a running clock then pulls the starters. Each coach likely has his own idea of how far up with time considerations his team has to be to call off the dogs. I think alot of coaches want their starters to atleast get in a half unless it is a score that is just crazy. A secondary question to the thread questionmight be do you go ahead and score or take a knee if you are in the redzone late in the game and up by a safe margin.

Let the ones play until you're satisfied they've gotten enough work. Then let the rest play, because it's vitally important to your young kids to make them as big a part as possible. As for the losing side, what can you say? Play hard until the last whistle.

I also think it's a stretch to assume that all coaches have class when it comes to a giant margin. I don't know if that would be the case here or not, only saying I can name one from EKY that would never call off the dogs.

Want to run it up yes but I would treat it as I would any other game. I don't think a 35-0 margin in the first half is always guarenteed safe in some situations. The team I pull for usually trys to get a running clock then pulls the starters. Each coach likely has his own idea of how far up with time considerations his team has to be to call off the dogs. I think alot of coaches want their starters to atleast get in a half unless it is a score that is just crazy. A secondary question to the thread questionmight be do you go ahead and score or take a knee if you are in the redzone late in the game and up by a safe margin.

In the 2011 Boyle/Highlands game Highlands took a knee at the goal line at the end of the game. If they would have punched it in I would not have been mad at all. These kids work hard all summer and all week during the fall. If they get that close, punch it in. Won't hurt my feelings at all.

I think it is fair to keep the starters in until the running clock starts. I also am in favor of the starters playing the entire first half regardless of the score.

I can live with that. This thread though does not address the opportunity lost to get the jv kids varsity time. In the long run, I believe it is best to get your jv kids a chance to develop , and not risk injury to starters when the game is already decided.

I can live with that. This thread though does not address the opportunity lost to get the jv kids varsity time. In the long run, I believe it is best to get your jv kids a chance to develop , and not risk injury to starters when the game is already decided.

That's what JV games are for. How much development can a JV player get in a 55-0 game and the offense is run, run, run, punt because you don't want to hurt anyone's feelings? Are JV kids who finish up blowouts truly getting true development from that experience? Can anyone speak on this?

]Let the ones play until you're satisfied they've gotten enough work. Then let the rest play' date=' because it's vitally important to your young kids to make them as big a part as possible. As for the losing side, what can you say? Play hard until the last whistle.[/b']

I also think it's a stretch to assume that all coaches have class when it comes to a giant margin. I don't know if that would be the case here or not, only saying I can name one from EKY that would never call off the dogs.

Agree with you Spindoc. And as we all know it's wrong to ask the 2nd and 3rd teamers to just go out there and not play hard. They're out there to improve and show the coaching staff what they have. However I do agree with others that some sort of class has to be observed. These are young men we're talking about playing a violent and emotional game. Things could get out of hand and injuries could happen at a purposeful rate.

That's what JV games are for. How much development can a JV player get in a 55-0 game and the offense is run, run, run, punt because you don't want to hurt anyone's feelings? Are JV kids who finish up blowouts truly getting true development from that experience? Can anyone speak on this?

It removes the aura of playing in a varsity game. The more minutes they can get in a varsity game regardless of circumstances, the better it is. Then we you need one of them in a crucial game because of injury, it isn't as big a deal getting into a varsity game. Plus, when the 2's/JV come in on offense, they often get to play against the starting defense of the opponent which gives them some experience versus a starting varsity football team.

No, just play the game & whatever happens, happens. I highly doubt coaching staffs from either team would "run up" the score on the other with malicious intent. Furthermore, if any student-athlete from either side chooses one school over the other b/c of the outcome of 1 game then chances are they are not worth it anyway. Character in question so to speak...