Indiana Coach Tom Crean Talks about UK Series

16thBBall Fan

Call Mitch Barnhart and let him know becausevhe is under the assumption that's it's not completely dead. But what does he know?

The better question would be "but what do you know?"

Ben Roberts ‏ @NextCats

North Carolina athletics official tells ESPN: "Right now, there is no intent to play (UK) in 2012-13.” http://es.pn/IZJYva

Asked if the series was over, Barnhart responded:

“I’d say that right now that’s probably closer to being true than not,

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like UK doesn't want to play anybody that is any good on a home/away contract. Coach Cal wants to play them on a neutral court (haha). I guess only the "weak sister" non-conference teams will come to Rupp. Anything to keep the streak alive.

Given that:

The current contract (recently expired) called for home-and-home games, a change that was made several years ago;

Calipari, during the season, maintained that Kentucky might feel the need to drop one of the troika of Louisville, Indiana and North Carolina from the schedule;

Kentucky insisted on changing the current home-and-home arrangement;

It is a fair inference that perhaps Kentucky was just looking for a reason not to continue the series.

Call Mitch Barnhart and let him know becausevhe is under the assumption that's it's not completely dead. But what does he know?

That BCG was his first hire as a basketball coach at UK.

UK Athletic Director Mitch Barnhart released this statement:

“We are extremely disappointed in Indiana’s decision to end our annual men’s basketball series. We were under the impression that we were in continued negotiations with Indiana University on signing a two-year contract to play the annual game at neutral sites. After the NCAA Championships, both schools verbally agreed in principle to play for two years at neutral sites (December 8, 2012 and December 7 or 14, 2013) and agreed to revisit campus sites upon completion of the two-year deal. The public comments by Indiana prior to today over the last week led us to believe that our previous verbal agreement could be in jeopardy, but at no point did we ever have any mutual discussions with Indiana to end the series. We were contacted by Indiana today shortly before 2 p.m. ET and informed that due to our desire to move to neutral sites they were moving on for the 2012-13 season and would revisit continuing the series at a later date. Our desire to play the series at a neutral site was due mainly to the success of the series from 1992-2006. It allowed the fans of both schools to enjoy the experience of one of the greatest rivalries every year. Everyone that watched or attended those games said it was a great atmosphere for college basketball. We looked at this as an opportunity to recapture that atmosphere and unfortunately it ended today.”

So who ended the series?

The better question would be "but what do you know?"

Ben Roberts ‏ @NextCats

North Carolina athletics official tells ESPN: "Right now, there is no intent to play (UK) in 2012-13.” No UNC-Kentucky on next year's schedule - College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN

Asked if the series was over, Barnhart responded:

“I’d say that right now that’s probably closer to being true than not,

So Clyde, is Barnhart saying the UNC game is definitely dead or not?

A mistake he quickly erased. How can anyone argues that Barnhart hasn't done a great job with UK athletics?

Joker Phillips is still the football coach, correct?

I'll go with good job. Not great job. BCG and Joker stain his work. The rise of women's basketball and baseball help him for sure. He hasn't done bad. He hasn't done great. He has done good. He can be better.

Joker Phillips is still the football coach, correct?

I'll go with good job. Not great job. BCG and Joker stain his work. The rise of women's basketball and baseball help him for sure. He hasn't done bad. He hasn't done great. He has done good. He can be better.

Not every hire is a home run. Mitch has been GREAT at UK. Sure, BCG didnt' work out, and it looks like Joker is headed that way, but there is no way you can look at the entire athletic department and say he hasn't done a tremendous job.

You can't expect every hire to be a home run. And have we already forgotten the longest bowl streak in program history was under his watch? He just brought home NCAA title #8, baseball is top 10, women's basketball is as good as its ever been, the tennis team just dominated the SEC, the cheerleaders are champions as always. On top of that, the basketball team has one of the top APRs in the conference (and GPAs too I believe) and there have been no NCAA violations on his watch.

UK Athletic Director Mitch Barnhart released this statement:

“We are extremely disappointed in Indiana’s decision to end our annual men’s basketball series. We were under the impression that we were in continued negotiations with Indiana University on signing a two-year contract to play the annual game at neutral sites. After the NCAA Championships, both schools verbally agreed in principle to play for two years at neutral sites (December 8, 2012 and December 7 or 14, 2013) and agreed to revisit campus sites upon completion of the two-year deal. The public comments by Indiana prior to today over the last week led us to believe that our previous verbal agreement could be in jeopardy, but at no point did we ever have any mutual discussions with Indiana to end the series. We were contacted by Indiana today shortly before 2 p.m. ET and informed that due to our desire to move to neutral sites they were moving on for the 2012-13 season and would revisit continuing the series at a later date. Our desire to play the series at a neutral site was due mainly to the success of the series from 1992-2006. It allowed the fans of both schools to enjoy the experience of one of the greatest rivalries every year. Everyone that watched or attended those games said it was a great atmosphere for college basketball. We looked at this as an opportunity to recapture that atmosphere and unfortunately it ended today.”

So who ended the series?

We can say it is mutual, but most of it is on UK. Reverse the situations and UK faithful would be going bonkers.

A lot of people keep saying that the fans are being cheated, but I think that it is really only the prennial season ticket holders who are being slighted by removing home-home games. For me, I could care less where they play, I just want to see them play good opponents since I will be sitting on my couch just about every game.