Should school administrators send their own kids to the school system they work for?

There seems like there are an AWFUL lot of influencing factors on this one. A few I thought of off the top of my head...

1) Does the administrator live within the physical boundaries of school system they work in?

2) Does it change the situation if their kid was attending school in a different system prior to accepting their job?

3) If they had a child or two who went through school district A prior to that admin. starting their job in school district B, and younger child wants to go to school district A where their older siblings went, should that child's opinion be considered?

4) How do private schools figure in? Is it unethical or a "bad look" for a public school administrator to send their kids to a private school, or vice versa?

5) Where do sports factor into decision making like this?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From another thread:

@Czar:

"I was told last night that the principal that fired Coach D doesn’t even send her children to the Floyd County school district. I mean how is this allowed to happen in a district? How could a system employ someone in an administrative position that doesn’t even send her children to that district? All this just stinks in my opinion."

@TribePride

"Well the education in EKY isn't exactly what experts would call "the best." I understand if the Principal sends her kids to Piarist. It is a top notch academic school that is byfar and away better than any public school in EKY. The only school that may give it a run for its money is Pikeville Independent."

@Tall Trees

"Well if she is Principal at Pburg High School and she feels that Pburg schools are not good enough for her to send her kids to, maybe she might want to look at FIRING herself. She is responsible for the education of Pburg High School."

I think it is a parent's decision and no one else's business. Some district's have policies where faculty can bring their kids tuition free.

If I get a principal job at Silver Grove and my kid wants to play football? MY choice. No one has the right to question me.

I WORK for a school district that I’d love to send my kids to. I LIVE in school district that I’d rather not send my kids to.

I currently work at a school that I’d love for my kid to attend. I used to work for a school that there’d be no way in hell I’d send my kid.

If I were a parent deciding, I’d look at student population, the community, test scores, what the school offers in regard to the arts and extra curriculars, and without a doubt 100% try to gauge the number of different preps the average teacher has at the school. Don’t be fooled by a small student population. That doesn’t necessarily translate to more time dedicated to your child, even though it’ll be a “selling point” from the school.

Look into the best possible scenario, and do your best to live in that district.

In regard to the OP, I can see a scenario where the parent both would and would not want their own child attending the school.

I can see both sides. We live in a great school district now where my son attends a top notch public elementary school. Where we lived prior he was going to catholic school where my wife worked. He would've gone to that school regardless if my wife worked their or not because of the public school not being very good. Once we moved it was a no brainer that he (and my other two soon) would attend the top notch public school that is only two blocks away.

When I was younger (pre-children) I was very adamant that your kids should attend said school if the parent worked in that district. Now being a parent I can see both sides. Just bc you work for Pepsi doesn't mean you don't prefer Coca-Cola.

Edited by bugatti

Scenario...

You are the Principal at School A. Your son/daughter goes to school B which is a rival school and plays sports (Let's say Basketball). Basketball job at School A opens up, does this make it a conflict of interest for the Principal to hire the best coach possible knowing they will be competing against their son/daughter?

Scenario...

You are the Principal at School A. Your son/daughter goes to school B which is a rival school and plays sports (Let's say Basketball). Basketball job at School A opens up, does this make it a conflict of interest for the Principal to hire the best coach possible knowing they will be competing against their son/daughter?

I don't think so.

Plus, in a situation like this, while the hire would have to get the Principal's approval, I'd think they'd let the Athletic Director take the reigns on the coaching search.

Scenario...

A few years ago the Somerset QB's Dad was the Pulaski County Principal. There were a few hard feelings, but there would have been many more if Pulaski didn't have a great QB of their own.

I guess the first question that needs to be asked is...should a school employee be forced to LIVE within the school district they teach in? If the answer to that is no, then anything afterwards is inconsequential.

Some of the poorer (both socially/economically/educationally) districts would miss out on some fantastic teachers who are able to make a difference, but, for whatever reason, live out of district. Requiring them to not only live in-district, but also send their kids to a specific school, is going to lessen the number of could-be teachers willing to work there.