Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Should school administrators send their own kids to the school system they work for?

Featured Replies

Maybe not. But surely you can agree that it begs a lot of questions from those who do send their children to that school.

It sure does. Based on my own experience, they will certainly ask a lot of questions about it.

  • Replies 44
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can see both sides. We live in a great school district now where my son attends a top notch public elementary school. Where we lived prior he was going to catholic school where my wife worked. He would've gone to that school regardless if my wife worked their or not because of the public school not being very good. Once we moved it was a no brainer that he (and my other two soon) would attend the top notch public school that is only two blocks away.

 

When I was younger (pre-children) I was very adamant that your kids should attend said school if the parent worked in that district. Now being a parent I can see both sides. Just bc you work for Pepsi doesn't mean you don't prefer Coca-Cola.

 

 

I think this is a good post. Over the years, I have seen children of teachers and administration attend Beechwood. It can be done, but a lot of effort has to be made on the part of the parents to avoid any inappropriate influence. Don’t get me wrong, I am sure it happens on some level, but it should still be avoided.

 

I sometimes wonder if it is fair to the kids. Part of going to school is to develop yourself away from your parents. Hard to do this if they are around all day.

I think this is a good post. Over the years, I have seen children of teachers and administration attend Beechwood. It can be done, but a lot of effort has to be made on the part of the parents to avoid any inappropriate influence. Don’t get me wrong, I am sure it happens on some level, but it should still be avoided.

 

I sometimes wonder if it is fair to the kids. Part of going to school is to develop yourself away from your parents. Hard to do this if they are around all day.

 

I think Beechwood is a little different though, the school and community has a distinct culture of family with the school building being the center. At least that is my observation and I think it is a good thing. I teach here, live in Florence, and my son is down the hall right now in a kindergarten class.

I think Beechwood is a little different though, the school and community has a distinct culture of family with the school building being the center. At least that is my observation and I think it is a good thing. I teach here, live in Florence, and my son is down the hall right now in a kindergarten class.

 

I think it varies by school. If I lived in NKY and was teaching at Beechwood, which has a great academic reputation, It may be easy to take my kid there with me. If I got a job at Silver Grove, which does not score as highly, maybe not so much.

 

The following link rates the schools in NKY.

Best High Schools in Kentucky - KY School Rankings

I have a strong belief that going to the public school in your home district is best for your kid. This is a personal belief, not universal.

 

It’s amazing in Jefferson County how may JCPS employees children go to private school.

My daughter-in-law is an assistant elementary school principle who has been assigned to multiple schools. My grandchildren have always gone to school with her, regardless of where she has been assigned. Principles rarely leave until the school closes, so they stay in aftercare until my daughter-in-law is ready to come home.

 

Too this point, she has been assigned to schools in "bad" areas of her county. It's has been her job to handle discipline and parental neglect. In her case, she is way too busy handling administrative duties to hover over her kids. Knowing what she has to deal with, on a daily basis, I would not want her job. She seems to excel at it. However, when my knucklehead grandson acts up, she is there to handle it.

I cannot state how stongly I belive that where one works as a teacher or administrator should not automatically dictate where their children should attend school. There is far more to the decision than just whether it’s “good enough” to work in therefore its “good enough” to send the children to.

Jefferson County’s public high schools as a whole are a hot mess. Not all are created equal at all. My resides district school is Seneca. If my kid doesn’t get in Manual then it’s private school.

Jefferson County’s public high schools as a whole are a hot mess. Not all are created equal at all. My resides district school is Seneca. If my kid doesn’t get in Manual then it’s private school.

 

Truth be told, JCPS is too big. As in, too many students, to many schools to manage. Its in a no win situation in that it is so big it just can not do anything. You can not manage it as a whole, because there are so many pieces.

 

JCPS should really be defunct and split into 3 or 4 separate independent school districts.

Truth be told, JCPS is too big. As in, too many students, to many schools to manage. Its in a no win situation in that it is so big it just can not do anything. You can not manage it as a whole, because there are so many pieces.

 

JCPS should really be defunct and split into 3 or 4 separate independent school districts.

 

I agree about splitting into smaller districts. But the actual process of establishing the boundaries of the new districts in terms of racial, socioeconomic and real property tax-base issues would be historically difficult.

Edited by True blue (and gold)
Fixed quote tags

I have a strong belief that going to the public school in your home district is best for your kid. This is a personal belief, not universal.

 

Why do you say that? I think the fit is more important than the fact that it is a public school in your district. Lots to say about the benefits of private schools too.

Why do you say that? I think the fit is more important than the fact that it is a public school in your district. Lots to say about the benefits of private schools too.

 

 

I get that, however, I believe in 95% of the public schools in the US the diversity the kids experience is more reflective of the real world. To me that is most important. It worked for my kids, just like private school probably did for you. Again, the fit for me was they experience an array of diversity. I am not saying private school does not have diversity, just most public schools have a greater amount.

 

Of course you know it goes beyond ace for diversity.

Part of the JCPS problem is that they worry more about who sits next to who then what they actually learn.

 

Diversity is awesome, diversity at the expense of education is not.

I get that, however, I believe in 95% of the public schools in the US the diversity the kids experience is more reflective of the real world. To me that is most important. It worked for my kids, just like private school probably did for you. Again, the fit for me was they experience an array of diversity. I am not saying private school does not have diversity, just most public schools have a greater amount.

 

Of course you know it goes beyond ace for diversity.

 

If that was your primary reason, it is spot on.

I went to school with 4 kids whose father was the Principal at another local high school. It didn't strike me as odd at the time, but now I can see why it would be frowned upon.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.