Should school administrators send their own kids to the school system they work for?

Parents can make any decision they want. So can a Board of Education. If you are hired as an administrator and the expectation is that you send your children to that school, then that is what you need to do...or relinquish your position.

I can see it from both sides. I've worked for an administrator that tried to give every advantage to her child and was extra tough on the kids that her children didn't like. I've also worked for administrators that considered every student just like they considered their own and worked to provide the best educational opportunities possible for all.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parents can make any decision they want. So can a Board of Education. If you are hired as an administrator and the expectation is that you send your children to that school, then that is what you need to do...or relinquish your position.

I can see it from both sides. I've worked for an administrator that tried to give every advantage to her child and was extra tough on the kids that her children didn't like. I've also worked for administrators that considered every student just like they considered their own and worked to provide the best educational opportunities possible for all.

I'm more or less where you're at. I get that the board of education can have the expectation that their administrators would send their kids to schools within their district, and I don't challenge that...but I'm more about choosing the best person who's best suited for the job, regardless of where they send their kids.

I know school districts and administrators are a little different, but I've worked with a few royal horse's rear-ends that were great at their jobs, and so long as they were knocking it out of the park as far as performance was concerned, I couldn't really ask for much different out of them. I wonder how many Patriots fans genuinely like Bill Belichick, and how many just kind of shrug and say, "Well.....dude has won us 5 Super Bowls....soooo...."

I asked this very same question 2-3 years ago on here. Knew a guy who was a headmaster at a small Christian school, had a couple of sons attending their local public school. I personally thought it was "bad optics" and believed the kids should have been at the Christian school if he was going to be headmaster there. I mean, how does that look when trying to recruit students? "We'll Ms. Smith, my kids don't go here but I highly recommend it for your kids"...I thought it was a bad look. Now every situation is different and I don't think there is one answer for every example, but if a school administrators kid didn't go to that particular school, I'd question as to why and see what the answer was.

Agree with those that say there are just too many things at play here. In the end, I’m falling on the side of letting parents make that call.

I’m Catholic and I think it’s important to support the school of the parish you belong to. I don’t think that if I were an employee of JCPS that my opinion on that would change.

Once had a teacher tell me if the school was good enough for them to teach in, it was good enough for their kids to attend.

I personally don't think that has anything to do with it.

As for the reasons to send their kids elsewhere, it's no one's business where parents choose to send their children, or their reasoning for said decision IMO.

It did for this former private school teacher who jumped to the public school system.

I'm saying that those who don't send their kids to the same school they work in, I don't think it's because they don't think said school is good enough for their kids.

I'm saying that those who don't send their kids to the same school they work in, I don't think it's because they don't think said school is good enough for their kids.

Maybe not. But surely you can agree that it begs a lot of questions from those who do send their children to that school.

I do think some don’t do it because said school is not good enough.

Sure you have logistics, the right fit, sports reasons, religious reasons, but there are still some.